  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2004 5:57:19 PM

Presently we have hundreds of PCs using dual P3 1GHz
CPUs. The operating system (XP Pro) is functioning
properly and DOES have many programs installed. We are
intending to upgrade to a dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz
motherboards; all cards & connections to many of
peripherals will be attached in the same way as the the
present motherboard. We will probably use the same MB
Manufacturer for the upgrade. How much luck would anyone
guess I will have or have experience in this task and had
success or problems?

More about : upgrading motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2004 7:48:07 PM

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
transferable to a new motherboard), unless your motherboard is
virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
version, etc.) to the one on which the other WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"EBRUL" <helgratch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Presently we have hundreds of PCs using dual P3 1GHz
> CPUs. The operating system (XP Pro) is functioning
> properly and DOES have many programs installed. We are
> intending to upgrade to a dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz
> motherboards; all cards & connections to many of
> peripherals will be attached in the same way as the the
> present motherboard. We will probably use the same MB
> Manufacturer for the upgrade. How much luck would anyone
> guess I will have or have experience in this task and had
> success or problems?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2004 8:07:08 PM

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"EBRUL" <helgratch@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

| Presently we have hundreds of PCs using dual P3 1GHz
| CPUs. The operating system (XP Pro) is functioning
| properly and DOES have many programs installed. We are
| intending to upgrade to a dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz
| motherboards; all cards & connections to many of
| peripherals will be attached in the same way as the the
| present motherboard. We will probably use the same MB
| Manufacturer for the upgrade. How much luck would anyone
| guess I will have or have experience in this task and had
| success or problems?
April 10, 2004 2:56:02 AM

You don't advise if you have white box or braded systems along with a host of vital points of reference.

There are functional and operational problems with what you are doing and it may be best with an organisation of your size to get your Microsoft representative involved.

Operationally, if your Windows XP licences were included as part of the System Unit when first bought, then it is likely that they are provided as an OEM edition. You will be violating the EULA by marrying the hard disk to a new motherboard, even within the same physical case.

If you have bought XP as an upgrade to a previous Windows versions: then you can move the Hard Disk.

Given your plans and having done the same on many systems; there are no short cuts or guaranteed easy methods. I have performed this 'heart, lung and liver job' hwere Windows XP just upped and ran, finding new devices and not stopping. Yet at the other end of the scale, a minor change required a full reinstall [most unexpected].

Review the good hints and suggestions at this web site:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

good luck
!