How do I assign RAM to an application

fred

Greetings
I am trying to get an XP-64 bit workstation to allocate at
least 3 GIgs of the available 4 of ram to a statistical
package (SAS), because I ran out of memry with particular
applications. I understand there was a way to do this in
NT but do not know what can be done in XP-64 to get it to
assign more than two gigs to a program.
Suggestions? Recommendations? Anything on this? Thanks

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:03:01 -0700, "Fred"

>Greetings
>I am trying to get an XP-64 bit workstation to allocate at
>least 3 GIgs of the available 4 of ram to a statistical
>package (SAS), because I ran out of memry with particular
>applications. I understand there was a way to do this in
>NT but do not know what can be done in XP-64 to get it to
>assign more than two gigs to a program.
>Suggestions? Recommendations? Anything on this? Thanks

You don't as its all automatic. A program will allocate as mush free
memory as it requires and if less than that, then uses virtual memory.
XP 32 bit supports the /3Gb switch to get over the 2GB limitation, 64
bit windows doesn`t support this:

Comparison of 32-Bit and 64-Bit Memory Architecture [Q294418]:

The 2-GB User-Mode Virtual Memory Limitation

64-bit programs use a 16-terabyte tuning model (8 terabytes User and 8
terabytes Kernel). 32-bit programs still use the 4-GB tuning model (2
GB User and 2 GB Kernel). This means that 32-bit processes that run on
64-bit versions of Windows run in a 4-GB tuning model (2 GB User and
2GB Kernel). 64-bit versions of Windows do not support the use of the
/3GB switch in the boot options.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/