abit kg7 large hard drives

Hey guys,
I have an Abit KG7(non-raid) with an athlon xp 1800+. I have been
using the Ultra100 TX2 card to use my western digital drive 200 gig
hard drive and my 160 gig samsung. This works, but I have gotten
bothersome problems. I have a creative live sound blaster platinum!,
and get the annoying sound cracking problem when the hard drives are
busy. Besides, this, when hard drives are busy I occasionally get the
mouse jerkiness problem. I am using the latest firmware for the
controller card, as well as the latest ide driver. Like many before me
I notice I don't get these problems when using the ide controller. I
would therefore like to simply use the onboard ide controller for my
hard drives.
While using onboard controller, initially the drives weren't
recognized past the 137 gig limit by the kg7 bios. A flash to the
newest one fixed this. However while windows recognized the sizes,
accessing the disks would cause the computer to freeze. This is the
similar to what happened to the hard drives when using the promise
controller on the default windows xp drivers.
There are no drivers that I know of for the regular ide controllers
though... So I have two possible solutions with your help. If you have
an Abit KG7 and are using the Ultra100 TX2 with no problems I would
like to know how. If you are using the Abit KG7 with large hard disks
on the default IDE controllers with no problems I would also
appreciate knowing how it is done.

A little more info that would help:
Everything is on its own IRQ, so there is no irq sharing between
devices.(i.e. sound card and controller card). This is all in Windows
XP with latest service pack. I have the newest 4 in 1 VIA drivers
installed, as well as the newest AMD AGP driver. Any replies are
appreciated.

Leon

On 9 May 2004 00:42:36 -0700, nybigapple@yahoo.com (Leon Gony) wrote:

>Hey guys,
> I have an Abit KG7(non-raid) with an athlon xp 1800+. I have been
>using the Ultra100 TX2 card to use my western digital drive 200 gig
>hard drive and my 160 gig samsung. This works, but I have gotten
>bothersome problems. I have a creative live sound blaster platinum!,
>and get the annoying sound cracking problem when the hard drives are
>busy. Besides, this, when hard drives are busy I occasionally get the
>mouse jerkiness problem. I am using the latest firmware for the
>controller card, as well as the latest ide driver. Like many before me
>I notice I don't get these problems when using the ide controller. I
>would therefore like to simply use the onboard ide controller for my
>hard drives.
> While using onboard controller, initially the drives weren't
>recognized past the 137 gig limit by the kg7 bios. A flash to the
>newest one fixed this. However while windows recognized the sizes,
>accessing the disks would cause the computer to freeze. This is the
>similar to what happened to the hard drives when using the promise
>controller on the default windows xp drivers.
>There are no drivers that I know of for the regular ide controllers
>though... So I have two possible solutions with your help. If you have
>an Abit KG7 and are using the Ultra100 TX2 with no problems I would
>like to know how. If you are using the Abit KG7 with large hard disks
>on the default IDE controllers with no problems I would also
>appreciate knowing how it is done.
>
>A little more info that would help:
>Everything is on its own IRQ, so there is no irq sharing between
>devices.(i.e. sound card and controller card). This is all in Windows
>XP with latest service pack. I have the newest 4 in 1 VIA drivers
>installed, as well as the newest AMD AGP driver. Any replies are
>appreciated.
>
> Leon
Couple of things, Leon, first, it's generally not recommended to use
the latest 4in1 drivers with older chipsets: see the VIA site for a
version appropriate for your chipset and OS.

Secondly, since your board has the VIA 686B Southbridge, it's likely
you have the PCI Latency problem - you're showing the classic
symptoms, crackling Soundblaster and data transfers freezing up. See
http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/ for George Breese's PCI
Latency patch - later 4in1 drivers are supposed to include this, but
George Breese's patch often fixes the problem where the VIA drivers
don't. It can also be a good idea to check that PCI Latency settings
are set to 0 or disabled in your BIOS.

patrickp