which one??? canon i960 or Hp 7960, can't decide :-(

the i960 has worked GREAT right out of the box

NOT a single problem

"Gary" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
: Anyone can give their personal experience to either printer?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Gary
:
:

Definitely the Canon 960: better overall image quality and probably less
expensive to use in the long run. However in order to get the best results
with all photoprinters you need to learn a little about how your computer OS
(Windows or Mac) handles color management (ICM or Color Sync) and if your
imaging program supports color management (Photoshop/Photopaint yes,
basically "not really" for all others including Paintshop). Also the Canon
printer driver is a bit obtuse about its settings using adjectives instead
of numbers to describe print quality (dpi) settings.

>which one??? canon i960 or Hp 7960, can't decide :-

I can't tell you anything about the HP, I've never used one.

I do have the Canon i960. Love it. Great pictures. Never jams. Printhead
never clogs. Individual replacement ink cartridges are relatively inexpensive
on Ebay (about $7 apiece with shipping). Prints well on Canon and Epson papers
(haven't tried others).

John Moore

sk

if you do alot a B&W, the HP 7960 is supposed to be up there with the
best. I'd also recommend looking at how each printer driver
incorporates colour management. I have the i950 and it is not obvious
how to turn off colour management. also the canon papers fade alot
quicker although canon have released a new version of the photo paper
pro. even so, i think the hp prints resist fading alot longer. i am
thinking of replacing my i950 with the hp for the reasons i mentioned.

regards,

sk

<< From: skeeton@sweetdreams.co.uk (SK)
Date: Tue, Apr 6, 2004 5:42 AM

if you do alot a B&W, the HP 7960 is supposed to be up there with the
best. I'd also recommend looking at how each printer driver
incorporates colour management. I have the i950 and it is not obvious
how to turn off colour management. also the canon papers fade alot
quicker although canon have released a new version of the photo paper
pro. even so, i think the hp prints resist fading alot longer. i am
thinking of replacing my i950 with the hp for the reasons i mentioned.

I would get the Canon i960. Why? It is a faster printer and I don't want to
have to wait for the longer periods the HP requires if I print several 8X10
photos. In addition, you have to swap out a Black ink cartridge and replace
with a photo cartridge on the HP to print photo quality color. In addition,
HP's track record with paper jams, MIS alignment and the like have not been
to good.

While not the final authority on this (as many would be quick to write in and
mention), the May issue of Consumer Reports has the i860 (not the i960 which
was not currently tested) as a TOP of the List BEST BUY. Its photo and text
costs were 80 cents and 2.7 cents per page, respectively, compared to the
HP's $1.20 and 5.9 cents.

Consumer reports indicated no visible fading on the Hp and slight fading on the
Canon.

I have a Canon S900 and it is VERY fast and prints beautiful photos. The i960
is supposed to be even faster. Both have 3072 nozzles which might explain why.
The Canon also has a 2 Picoleter ink drop size. Don't know what the HP's
is. For HALF the price of the HP the i860 (although it has only 5 cartridges (2
Blacks) might seem like a great buy. A friend bought one the other day and its
prints compared very favorably with my S900. What could you do with the extra
$150?