Solution to: USB Mouse Not working After XP SP1 update.

abhi

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002

Hi All,
I have noticed that there have been a lot of questions regarding USB
mouse not working after windows XP SP1 was installed. Especially with
New Dell Systems. I also had the same problem and was helped by one of
the replies over here on this forum. So I am just positing a solution
that worked for me for this probllem, which also might work for you
all.
1. You have installed your USB mouse and it is working properly. You
can see it in the control panel. as well as you can see other USB
devices.
2. Now Install Service Pack1 (Sp1) for Widnows XP.
3. Do not reboot the system after installing the SP1.
4. Now goto Control panel --> System--> Device Manager and remove all
USB components. Remove al the USb COntrolers and USB Root Hubs. Now
during this process, since your mouse is USB, it wil stop working once
you remove its Roor HUB. So you will have to continue removing rest of
the USB Hubs by using the keyboard navigation.
5. Reboot the computer now and it will detect your new USB devices
and it will automatically install them. You mouse also will start
working. If you want you can install any specifuic driver that is
required for the Mouse or USB now. But it usually not necessary under
Windos XP.
I hope this works for you.
Have fun with it!
Abhi

Hello,

indeed you're completely right,
but many users who have had that problem probably read that message
when they have that problem, thus when their mouse doesn't work after
installing SP1, so what should you do once you have that problem ?

Imagin, I installed SP1 and rebooted my computer like Win Xp asked, and
now i notice that my mouse is not working,
what now ?
should i unistall every Usb root and so on ? and reboot afterwards ?

Elvis1

--
Elvis1
Elvis1's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=438

What post are you responding to? It would be helpful if you posted this
as a reply to the corresponding post so we know what is going on ;)

----
Nathan McNulty