AI7 - OCZ EL PC3200 Platinum Limited-Edition (part 3)

Last response: in Motherboards
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2004 6:45:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Hi,

I am still stuck, can't get my system stable when using some *tight* OCZ
PC3200. Prime95 will fail or the machine will reboot.

It has been nearly two months now, I already RMA'ed the memory back to OCZ
and got a replacement, but sadly my system is unstable. I wanted to
overclock this system but I haven't even been able to make it stable at
stock, without setting my memory down to some lame 2.5-3-3-x timings.

I have been testing each stick *separately*, and need your advice on the
results.

2-7-2-2 ~ 2.7vDimm ~ 200MHz-FSB 1:1 ~ GAT: A-A-A-A-A ~ PSB800 ~ 1.525vCore

Stick #1 in Slot (1) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:1 Error (Test#10, Pass28).
Prime95 24 Hours:p ASS.

Stick #2 in Slot (1) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours: FAIL
(22Hours 17Mins).

Stick #1 in Slot (3) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours:p ASS.

Stick #2 in Slot (3) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours: FAIL
(19Hours 31Mins).

Stick #1 in Slot (2) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
(3Hours 11Mins ~ 2nd: 53Mins).

Stick #2 in Slot (2) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours: Skipped. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
(1Hours 22Mins ~ 2nd: 4Hours 21Mins).

Stick #1 in Slot (4) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours: Skipped. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
(1Hours 4Mins ~ 2nd: 3Hours 9Mins).

Stick #2 in Slot (4) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours: Skipped. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
(2Hours 24Mins ~ 2nd: 3Hours 21Mins).

From seeing these results I am thinking that I have

a) Faulty AI7 Motherboard (Duff DIMM slots?)
b) A Pair of OCZ sticks with one working better than the other.

What can be going on? I don't understand how Memtest86 cannot find errors,
but yet Prime95 will FAIL in Windows very quickly?. All my kit is brand new?

I have left Stick #2 in Slot (4) and am running Memtest86 *all* tests for a
few days, too see if it can catch any errors!. I also will throw 1.65vAGP
into the testing.

If I increase vDimm (2.8v, 2.9v) the system passes, but I am totally unhappy
at running this kinda voltage just to reach stock speeds with a single
stick. was hoping to overclock this memory in dual-channel to 220MHz-FSB
2-6-2-2! Wow what a dream, can't trust these online reviews at all.

I think I am gonna RMA both the AI7 & the OCZ memory.
--
Wayne ][
Pentium® 4 2.6GHz (Northwood D1) ~ Retail HSF AS/3 ~ ABIT AI7 (Beta 16-01) ~

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I can't offer you specifics I'm afraid but a colleague of mine was having
similar issues as you re having and eventually found a working solution by
getting rid of the OCZ memory and using Corsair's TwinX LL's in their place.
From what little he told me after he did that he didn't have a problem again
on attaining high and stable FSB's with std vDimm voltages.

Bet you wish you kept your AMD rig now eh...?

Ed

a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2004 7:45:50 PM

~
> 1GB Kit OCZ EL PC3200 Platinum *Limited-Edition* ~ Sapphire Atlantis
Radeon
> 9800 ~ 2x 36GB Raptor in ICH5R RAID-0 (16K Stripe) ~ Plextor 48x24x48
CD-MRW
> ~ Pioneer 16x DVD ~ Antec True550 PSU ~ Antec SX835II Full Tower Case ~ 5x
> YS-Tech 80mm fans ~ Cable Tidy ~ WindowsXP® Professional SP1

Looks like your tests fail randomly, without possibilityto assign the
failures to one specific mem module or DIMM slot.
First thing I should do is using a contact clean spray to clean as well the
contacts of the modules as the contacts of the slots.
This should normally solve your problem. If it persists however, check your
power supply and the way you connected it to your PC components (don't put
all your disks / CD / DVD on the same leads). Try do test with another power
supply (min 400 W for a brand supply).
Also check / clean the connection of your VGA card.
How about your cooling? What are the reported temps?
About voltages, those should not be increased for a non-overclocked system.
But anyways, first clean the mem contacts. Sometimes this does miracles...
Related resources
May 10, 2004 9:11:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I've been a Corsair fan for some time now...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Ed" <Ed@here.net> wrote in message
> I can't offer you specifics I'm afraid but a colleague of mine was having
> similar issues as you re having and eventually found a working solution by
> getting rid of the OCZ memory and using Corsair's TwinX LL's in their
place.
> From what little he told me after he did that he didn't have a problem
again
> on attaining high and stable FSB's with std vDimm voltages.
>
> Bet you wish you kept your AMD rig now eh...?
>

> Ed

a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:16:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Also try your GAT settings as Auto-Auto-Auto-Disabled-Disabled as a lot of
people have better success with these settings.

cheers

"ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message
news:o sNnc.101601$ID3.6199393@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

> [...]
> failures to one specific mem module or DIMM slot.
> First thing I should do is using a contact clean spray to clean as well
> the
> contacts of the modules as the contacts of the slots.
> This should normally solve your problem. If it persists however, check
> your
> power supply and the way you connected it to your PC components (don't put
> all your disks / CD / DVD on the same leads). Try do test with another
> power
> supply (min 400 W for a brand supply).
> Also check / clean the connection of your VGA card.
> How about your cooling? What are the reported temps?
> About voltages, those should not be increased for a non-overclocked
> system.
> But anyways, first clean the mem contacts. Sometimes this does miracles...

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:34:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Just read your post at Abit. When you set your memory settings to SPD, what
settings show up in your bios?

You may need to try vdimm voltage of 2.8v if you are trying to run memory at
tighter timings than they are rated.

cheers

"DNX" <dnxdnx@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
>> failures to one specific mem module or DIMM slot.
>> First thing I should do is using a contact clean spray to clean as well
>> the
>> contacts of the modules as the contacts of the slots.
>> This should normally solve your problem. If it persists however, check
>> your
>> power supply and the way you connected it to your PC components (don't
>> put
>> all your disks / CD / DVD on the same leads). Try do test with another
>> power
>> supply (min 400 W for a brand supply).
>> Also check / clean the connection of your VGA card.
>> How about your cooling? What are the reported temps?
>> About voltages, those should not be increased for a non-overclocked
>> system.
>> But anyways, first clean the mem contacts. Sometimes this does

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 7:39:10 PM

> [...]

unhappy
> at running this kinda voltage just to reach stock speeds with a single
> stick. was hoping to overclock this memory in dual-channel to 220MHz-FSB
> 2-6-2-2! Wow what a dream, can't trust these online reviews at all.
>
> I think I am gonna RMA both the AI7 & the OCZ memory.
> --
> Wayne ][
> Pentium® 4 2.6GHz (Northwood D1) ~ Retail HSF AS/3 ~ ABIT AI7 (Beta 16-01)
~
> 1GB Kit OCZ EL PC3200 Platinum *Limited-Edition* ~ Sapphire Atlantis
Radeon
> 9800 ~ 2x 36GB Raptor in ICH5R RAID-0 (16K Stripe) ~ Plextor 48x24x48
CD-MRW
> ~ Pioneer 16x DVD ~ Antec True550 PSU ~ Antec SX835II Full Tower Case ~ 5x
> YS-Tech 80mm fans ~ Cable Tidy ~ WindowsXP® Professional SP1

Set your vcore to 1.55 . I had problems running vcore at 1.525. Raise your
vdim to 2.8 because your mem is rated to run up to 2.8. By retail hsf do you
mean the stock intel hsf? If you've upgraded to the 2.6 from a slower chip
you need to use the hsf that came with the 2.6. They look the same but all
intel chips use different heat sinks. As the speed of the chip goes up the
heat sinks ability to cool is increases also.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 7:45:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I forgot to ask but what are your temps? You can't be running tests for 24
hours with out watching them.

!