Aargh...Homie, a little help here, please!

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I sent a KA7 (out of warranty, BTW) back to Abit for cap replacement a
couple of years ago. They fixed it gratis, BUT...I noticed the the ONE cap
they didn't replace has leaked all over my board...EC33. (You get what you
pay for.) So I remove the cap, clean things up and replace the cap with a
Nichicon. The one detail I overlooked was polarity. So my question is this:
on the circuit board, directly under the cap, there is a circle printed in
ink. One-half of the circle is filled out in white ink. Is that the pos or
neg side? Or does polarity even matter here? Thanks a lot!

--
************
All email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2002

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"tom" <tom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I sent a KA7 (out of warranty, BTW) back to Abit for cap replacement a
> couple of years ago. They fixed it gratis, BUT...I noticed the the ONE cap
> they didn't replace has leaked all over my board...EC33. (You get what you
> pay for.) So I remove the cap, clean things up and replace the cap with a
> Nichicon. The one detail I overlooked was polarity. So my question is
this:
> on the circuit board, directly under the cap, there is a circle printed in
> ink. One-half of the circle is filled out in white ink. Is that the pos or
> neg side? Or does polarity even matter here? Thanks a lot!
>
> --
> ************
> All email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2002

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

try the same message to him directly on his email:
--
Homie and BigBadger repair boards and have many happy
customers:

Homie (AKA Capman), in the US, at:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
gary@motherboardrepair.com

(look for posts from BigBadger if you're in the UK or try him at
Big_Badger@btinternet***NO-SPAM***.com with the obvious
spam protection removed...)

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"tom" <tom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I sent a KA7 (out of warranty, BTW) back to Abit for cap replacement a
> couple of years ago. They fixed it gratis, BUT...I noticed the the ONE cap
> they didn't replace has leaked all over my board...EC33. (You get what you
> pay for.) So I remove the cap, clean things up and replace the cap with a
> Nichicon. The one detail I overlooked was polarity. So my question is
this:
> on the circuit board, directly under the cap, there is a circle printed in
> ink. One-half of the circle is filled out in white ink. Is that the pos or
> neg side? Or does polarity even matter here? Thanks a lot!
>
> --
> ************
> All email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2002

The white side is negative....and yes, polarity is important if you want to
avoid exploding capacitors.
"tom" <tom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I sent a KA7 (out of warranty, BTW) back to Abit for cap replacement a
> couple of years ago. They fixed it gratis, BUT...I noticed the the ONE cap
> they didn't replace has leaked all over my board...EC33. (You get what you
> pay for.) So I remove the cap, clean things up and replace the cap with a
> Nichicon. The one detail I overlooked was polarity. So my question is
this:
> on the circuit board, directly under the cap, there is a circle printed in
> ink. One-half of the circle is filled out in white ink. Is that the pos or
> neg side? Or does polarity even matter here? Thanks a lot!
>
> --
> ************
> All email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2002

homie

Hello,
On Abit boards the white side is negative....
On some boards the white side is positive... they do that to screw you up !
On some Asus server boards, the white side is marked negative but is actually
positive, they did that just to piss me off!

Homie

--
Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com
gary@motherboardrepair.com

"tom" <tom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I sent a KA7 (out of warranty, BTW) back to Abit for cap replacement a
couple of years ago. They fixed it gratis, BUT...I noticed the the ONE cap
they didn't replace has leaked all over my board...EC33. (You get what you
pay for.) So I remove the cap, clean things up and replace the cap with a
Nichicon. The one detail I overlooked was polarity. So my question is this:
on the circuit board, directly under the cap, there is a circle printed in
ink. One-half of the circle is filled out in white ink. Is that the pos or
neg side? Or does polarity even matter here? Thanks a lot!

--
All email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2002

Electrolytics have polarity (at least all the ones I've seen).