New nForce Unified Drivers 4.24 (2000/XP) / 4.20 (98SE/ME)

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Windows XP
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 11:43:02 AM

Previously the Audio and IDE drivers had been released as Beta. These are
now official releases.

Windows 2000/XP:

Version: 4.24
Release Date: May 10, 2004
U.S. English (International version not yet released)
File Size: 20.2 MB
WHQL Certified

Installation Notes:

Windows XP users must install Service Pack 1 prior to attempting to install
this package. Failure to do so will result in the inability to support USB
2.0.

Audio drivers will not install on the following nForce2 products: Chaintech
7NJS. Please use the drivers that come with these products to enable audio
functionality.

Installation of DirectX 9.0 or higher is required in order to use NVMixer.

Release Notes:

WHQL certified kit

Unified drivers with support for nForce, nForce2, and nForce3 products.
This package does not include support for dual-processor systems.

General compatibility fixes

Audio Driver Improvements
. Introduced NVMixer - replaces SoundStorm Control Panel for all audio
configuration tasks. Note that NVMixer operates best when run at 1024x768
16-bit color
. Introduced improved AC '97 / Soft Audio driver - adds EQ, speaker
cloning, and speaker wizard support
. Introduced Speaker Wizard - incorporates all NVSwap features, ensures
correct speaker setup on analog or digital speaker systems
. Introduced Cinesurround - virtual 5.1 mixdown to headphones or 2 speakers
. Introduced new Environments - simple, preset driven sound environments
. Enhanced ASIO support and added support for AC '97 / Soft Audio systems
. Added user adjustable "rear channel creation" support - adds off, clone,
reverb and delay
. Added support for Realtek ALC655 codecs, Realtek ALC658 codecs, and 7.1
support for Realtek ALC850 codecs
. Added support for WMV-HD audio streams and WaveFormatExtensible calls
. Improved playback of mono content
. Addressed audio issues in numerous games and applications

Storage Driver Improvements:
.. Support for Serial ATA controllers
.. Full NVIDIA RAID functionality on supported platforms
.. Improved compatibility with 3rd-party drive management, CD ripping and
recording software.
.. Automatic DMA-mode fall-back when data errors are present due to poor
cabling
.. Improved handling of various storage devices

Windows XP Driver Versions
.. Audio driver 4.31 (WHQL)
.. Audio utilities 4.31
.. Ethernet driver 4.16 (WHQL)
.. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
.. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
.. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
.. Installer 4.38
.. IDE NVIDIA driver 4.12

Windows 98SE/ME
Version: 4.20
Release Date: May 10, 2004
U.S. English (International version not yet released)
File Size: 4.2 MB
WHQL Certified

Installation Notes:

Windows 98SE users should set the desired display mode (resolution and color
depth) before restarting the system.

USB 2.0 is not supported in this package. Contact your product manufacturer
for 3rd party drivers to enable this feature.

Please note that only Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millennium
Edition are supported. Earlier versions of Windows are not supported.

[...]

Windows 9x Driver Versions:
.. Audio driver 4.31
.. Audio utilities 4.31
.. Ethernet driver 4.16
.. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
.. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
.. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
.. Installer 4.31

More about : nforce unified drivers 2000 98se

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 9:29:53 PM

And the new nvMixer is super.

"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]
cloning,
> and speaker wizard support
> . Introduced Speaker Wizard - incorporates all NVSwap features, ensures
> correct speaker setup on analog or digital speaker systems
> . Introduced Cinesurround - virtual 5.1 mixdown to headphones or 2
speakers
> . Introduced new Environments - simple, preset driven sound environments
> . Enhanced ASIO support and added support for AC '97 / Soft Audio systems
> . Added user adjustable "rear channel creation" support - adds off, clone,
> reverb and delay
> . Added support for Realtek ALC655 codecs, Realtek ALC658 codecs, and 7.1
> support for Realtek ALC850 codecs
> . Added support for WMV-HD audio streams and WaveFormatExtensible calls
> . Improved playback of mono content
> . Addressed audio issues in numerous games and applications

May 11, 2004 10:18:06 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:43:02 -0700, "Jef Norton"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Previously the Audio and IDE drivers had been released as Beta. These are
>now official releases.
Do you have a link to these new drivers Jef or know where i can D/L
them from .
Regards.
Grant .
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:18:07 PM

<grant@thepeople.net> wrote in message
news:D 9293e5c88975869a84de4a7da3c7cb3@news.teranews.com...

| Do you have a link to these new drivers Jef or know where i can D/L
| them from .
| Regards.
| Grant .

Hi Grant -

For 2000/XP:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24

For 98SE/ME:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.20

Sorry I neglected to include direct links in my original post on the
subject. These are direct from nVidia. International releases are not yet
available (English language only at the present).

Jef
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:34:45 PM

Mike Bernstein wrote:
> And the new nvMixer is super.

Any reason why I should not upgrade from 3.13? Any issues?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:34:46 PM

"Per Nielsen" <dazzler53@hotmail.com> wrote in message

| Any reason why I should not upgrade from 3.13? Any issues?

Hi Per -

The only issues I've noted so far are the ongoing problems with certain
systems with the SW IDE driver. The installer utility has been
significantly enhanced with this new release, giving you a single screen to
select which drivers and options you wish to install (rather than having
them hap-hazard prompted throughout the installation process).

I've not encountered any issues on my NF7-M rig running the 4.24's, full
install (including the SW IDE driver).

You may wish to look at the drivers page at http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/
or the nVidia page at http://forum.abit-usa.com for any additional issues
that are being reported with the new drivers.

If you're running XP, the driver rollback facility seems to work just fine
if you experience any issues with a particular driver in the new pack.

Jef
May 11, 2004 11:11:46 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:29:57 -0700, "Jef Norton"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

><grant@thepeople.net> wrote in message
>news:D 9293e5c88975869a84de4a7da3c7cb3@news.teranews.com...
>
>| Do you have a link to these new drivers Jef or know where i can D/L
>| them from .
>| Regards.
>| Grant .
>
>Hi Grant -
>
>For 2000/XP:
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24
>
>For 98SE/ME:
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.20
>
>Sorry I neglected to include direct links in my original post on the
>subject. These are direct from nVidia. International releases are not yet
>available (English language only at the present).
Thanks Jef no problem .
We do have a problem though lets see how can I explain this quickly
Two computers both with NF7-S Mobo's one with a 3200 amd one with a
2700 amd both have same amount of RAM .
I bought an Asus 128Mb V9570TD Tv/DVI Fx5700 and I am only getting
2380 3D marks with it in this machine put it in the other and it gets
over 11000 marks put the card from the other machine in here and it
comes up with over 9000 marks which is right has it is only an FX56
card the other being a FX57 .
We now know the new card isn't faulty but would like to know what is
causing the problem could it be that the AGP slot is slightly
faulty on this board !!.
Grant .
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 11:11:47 PM

| Thanks Jef no problem .
| We do have a problem though lets see how can I explain this quickly
| Two computers both with NF7-S Mobo's one with a 3200 amd one with a
| 2700 amd both have same amount of RAM .
| I bought an Asus 128Mb V9570TD Tv/DVI Fx5700 and I am only getting
| 2380 3D marks with it in this machine put it in the other and it gets
| over 11000 marks put the card from the other machine in here and it
| comes up with over 9000 marks which is right has it is only an FX56
| card the other being a FX57 .
| We now know the new card isn't faulty but would like to know what is
| causing the problem could it be that the AGP slot is slightly
| faulty on this board !!.
| Grant .

Hi Grant -

That one's beyond my trouble-shooting skills.

Perhaps a new thread with an appropriate header and maybe even posting on
the NVIDIA page at http://forum.abit-usa.com will get you the help you need
to diagnose and correct the problem.

Jef
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 12:59:44 AM

Jef Norton wrote:
> The only issues I've noted so far are the ongoing problems with
> certain systems with the SW IDE driver. The installer utility has
> been significantly enhanced with this new release, giving you a
> single screen to select which drivers and options you wish to install
> (rather than having them hap-hazard prompted throughout the
> installation process).

Sounds good. The last time I chose Microsoft's driver instead of Nvidia's SW
IDE driver. Seems to run better with my system (Abit NF7-S BIOS 22).

> I've not encountered any issues on my NF7-M rig running the 4.24's,
> full install (including the SW IDE driver).

I might try the full install, except for the SW IDE driver.

> If you're running XP, the driver rollback facility seems to work just
> fine if you experience any issues with a particular driver in the new
> pack.

Neat. Thx for your help :-)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 12:59:45 AM

> Jef Norton wrote:
> > The only issues I've noted so far are the ongoing problems with
> > certain systems with the SW IDE driver. The installer utility has
> > been significantly enhanced with this new release, giving you a
> > single screen to select which drivers and options you wish to install
> > (rather than having them hap-hazard prompted throughout the
> > installation process).
>
> Sounds good. The last time I chose Microsoft's driver instead of Nvidia's
SW
> IDE driver. Seems to run better with my system (Abit NF7-S BIOS 22).
>
> > I've not encountered any issues on my NF7-M rig running the 4.24's,
> > full install (including the SW IDE driver).
>
> I might try the full install, except for the SW IDE driver.
>
> > If you're running XP, the driver rollback facility seems to work just
> > fine if you experience any issues with a particular driver in the new
> > pack.
>
> Neat. Thx for your help :-)

What's the best way to install these drivers in XP ? Can I just install on
top of my current setup or do I need to uninstall anything first ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 12:59:46 AM

"?uzzled" <not@got.one> wrote in message

| What's the best way to install these drivers in XP ? Can I just install on
| top of my current setup or do I need to uninstall anything first ?
|
| Thanks.

Hi ?uzzled -

I ran the installer without un-installing the 3.13 pack (plus beta releases
of the IDE and Audio drivers from last month).

No issues here and, with the driver rollback feature, have the old drivers
available should I have problems.

Jef
May 12, 2004 3:31:33 AM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:19:59 -0700, "Jef Norton"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Perhaps a new thread with an appropriate header and maybe even posting on
>the NVIDIA page at http://forum.abit-usa.com will get you the help you need
>to diagnose and correct the problem.
>
>Jef

Your answer doesn't surprise me Jef I got more or less the same
answer from the tech support guy at the suppliers of the boards and
cards :) ) .
Grant .
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 11:42:21 AM

Thanks Jef. I'm really surprised Nvidia bothered to come out w/drivers for
98SE/Me. ATI has given up supporting 98SE/Me. Because of Nvidia's commitment to
driver development I think I'm making my next video card purchase Nvidia. Big
thanks to Nvidia for continuing to support 98SE/Me despite the fact Microshaft
wants us all to buy into XP.

>Hi Grant -
>
>For 2000/XP:
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24
>
>For 98SE/ME:
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.20
>
>Sorry I neglected to include direct links in my original post on the
>subject. These are direct from nVidia. International releases are not yet
>available (English language only at the present).
>
>Jef

a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 2:12:36 PM

Wblane wrote:
> Thanks Jef. I'm really surprised Nvidia bothered to come out
> w/drivers for 98SE/Me. ATI has given up supporting 98SE/Me. Because
> of Nvidia's commitment to driver development I think I'm making my
> next video card purchase Nvidia. Big thanks to Nvidia for continuing
> to support 98SE/Me despite the fact Microshaft wants us all to buy
> into XP.

A friend of mine has an Abit NF7-S rev.2.0 running on Win98SE. Can't get her
to change to XP ;-). Anything we should be aware of regarding installing the
newest Win98 Unified Driver 4.20? I assume I would say no to installing
Nvidia SW IDE, but besides that? Just install and that's that?

What about:

USB 2.0 is not supported in this package. Contact your product manufacturer
for 3rd party drivers to enable this feature.

How to enable USB 2.0 afterwards then?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 2:12:37 PM

| A friend of mine has an Abit NF7-S rev.2.0 running on Win98SE. Can't get
her
| to change to XP ;-). Anything we should be aware of regarding installing
the
| newest Win98 Unified Driver 4.20? I assume I would say no to installing
| Nvidia SW IDE, but besides that? Just install and that's that?
|
| What about:
|
| USB 2.0 is not supported in this package. Contact your product
manufacturer
| for 3rd party drivers to enable this feature.
|
| How to enable USB 2.0 afterwards then?

Hi Per -

The Windows 98SE/ME Platform Drivers don't include the SW IDE driver - it's
only supported for Windows 2000 and XP.

The USB 2.0 driver for Windows 98SE/ME is provided by Abit on the original
NF7 installation CD (look at the Drivers\USB\Win98ME folder and run
Setup.exe).

The drivers included in the 4.20 Unified Platform Drivers for Windows
98SE/ME are:
.. Audio driver 4.31
.. Audio utilities 4.31
.. Ethernet driver 4.16
.. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
.. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
.. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
.. Installer 4.31

No IDE/USB in the list.

On a Windows 98SE/ME box, you don't need to worry about either driver
getting updated from the original installation of the default Microsoft IDE
driver and the Orangeware USB 2.0 driver from the original installation CD.

Jef
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 10:17:23 PM

USB 2.0 is only available off of the headers on the motherboard on the NF7s
v2.0 right? The two built-in, rear USB connectors aren't USB 2.0 right?
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 10:17:24 PM

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
| USB 2.0 is only available off of the headers on the motherboard on the
NF7s
| v2.0 right? The two built-in, rear USB connectors aren't USB 2.0 right?
| -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Hi Bill -

They're all USB 2.0 on my NF7-M.... don't see why they wouldn't be on a
NF7-S revision 2.0.

Jef
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 10:21:50 PM

> Hi ?uzzled -
>
> I ran the installer without un-installing the 3.13 pack (plus beta
releases
> of the IDE and Audio drivers from last month).
>
> No issues here and, with the driver rollback feature, have the old drivers
> available should I have problems.
>
> Jef

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Not too sure what version of the nforce drivers
I'm using at the moment.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2004 12:42:04 PM

I am getting USB 2.0 of the built in connectors on my NF7-S Rev 2 MB.

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> USB 2.0 is only available off of the headers on the motherboard on the
NF7s
> v2.0 right? The two built-in, rear USB connectors aren't USB 2.0 right?
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2004 2:14:16 PM

Jef Norton wrote:
> The Windows 98SE/ME Platform Drivers don't include the SW IDE driver
> - it's only supported for Windows 2000 and XP.
>
> The USB 2.0 driver for Windows 98SE/ME is provided by Abit on the
> original NF7 installation CD (look at the Drivers\USB\Win98ME folder
> and run Setup.exe).

Arh, thx for clearing that up.

> On a Windows 98SE/ME box, you don't need to worry about either driver
> getting updated from the original installation of the default
> Microsoft IDE driver and the Orangeware USB 2.0 driver from the
> original installation CD.

No need to worry then. The hardest part is going to be convincing her, that
she should give the Nvidia 4.20 drivers a shot ;-)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 4:05:51 PM

Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
running?

> [...]
cloning,
> and speaker wizard support
> . Introduced Speaker Wizard - incorporates all NVSwap features, ensures
> correct speaker setup on analog or digital speaker systems
> . Introduced Cinesurround - virtual 5.1 mixdown to headphones or 2
speakers
> . Introduced new Environments - simple, preset driven sound environments
> . Enhanced ASIO support and added support for AC '97 / Soft Audio systems
> . Added user adjustable "rear channel creation" support - adds off, clone,
> reverb and delay
> . Added support for Realtek ALC655 codecs, Realtek ALC658 codecs, and 7.1
> support for Realtek ALC850 codecs
> . Added support for WMV-HD audio streams and WaveFormatExtensible calls
> . Improved playback of mono content
> . Addressed audio issues in numerous games and applications

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 5:24:07 PM

>Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
>running?

If you go into control panels and double click the system icon it will show the
windows version and if you are using service pack 1.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 6:40:28 PM

"Odie" <observer_11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
| running?

Hi Odie -

I don't know of a "simple" way...

But, you can tell if you aren't running the latest and greatest by going
into Device Manager and looking at the Driver tab for each of the following
components and checking the installed version:

Windows XP Driver Versions
.. Audio driver 4.31 (WHQL)
.. Audio utilities 4.31
.. Ethernet driver 4.16 (WHQL)
.. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
.. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
.. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
.. Installer 4.38
.. IDE NVIDIA driver 4.12

The above listed versions are from the new 4.24 release. If your version
numbers are lower, you're not running the latest and greatest. You'll have
to find the release notes for the prior versions (beginning with 3.13) in
order to match the version numbers you have installed with the device to
determine what pack you actually have installed.

Sorry to not be able to give you an easy way to accomplish this.

PRIVATE1964 gets the annual "Jef Norton award for technically accurate
information" for providing the correct answer to the wrong question -- I'm
famous for that. ;-)

Jef
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2004 2:07:58 AM

>Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
>running?

This question sure looks like he is asking about which Windows version he is
running. I thought he wanted to know which version Windows he is running
because for USB 2 you need to have service pack 1 installed.
Maybe next time he should be a little bit more specific with his question.

There is another way to get information on the drivers, but I think the easiest
way is probably through device manager.

You can also use Windows System Information.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2004 5:07:33 AM

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
| >Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
| >running?
|
| This question sure looks like he is asking about which Windows version he
is
| running. I thought he wanted to know which version Windows he is running
| because for USB 2 you need to have service pack 1 installed.
| Maybe next time he should be a little bit more specific with his question.
|
| There is another way to get information on the drivers, but I think the
easiest
| way is probably through device manager.
|
| You can also use Windows System Information.
|
| C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe

Hi PRIVATE1964 -

No offense intended. I put the onus on Odie for not being clear by saying
(with a smiley no less) that you had provided the correct answer to the
wrong question.

Good suggestion about using System Information.

Jef
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2004 6:26:51 AM

>No offense intended. I put the onus on Odie for not being clear by saying
>(with a smiley no less) that you had provided the correct answer to the
>wrong question.

Hi, no offense taken.
!