New nForce Unified Drivers 4.24 (2000/XP) / 4.20 (98SE/ME)

Previously the Audio and IDE drivers had been released as Beta. These are
now official releases.

Windows 2000/XP:

Version: 4.24
Release Date: May 10, 2004
U.S. English (International version not yet released)
File Size: 20.2 MB
WHQL Certified

Installation Notes:

Windows XP users must install Service Pack 1 prior to attempting to install
this package. Failure to do so will result in the inability to support USB
2.0.

Audio drivers will not install on the following nForce2 products: Chaintech
7NJS. Please use the drivers that come with these products to enable audio
functionality.

Installation of DirectX 9.0 or higher is required in order to use NVMixer.

Release Notes:

WHQL certified kit

Unified drivers with support for nForce, nForce2, and nForce3 products.
This package does not include support for dual-processor systems.

General compatibility fixes

Audio Driver Improvements
. Introduced NVMixer - replaces SoundStorm Control Panel for all audio
configuration tasks. Note that NVMixer operates best when run at 1024x768
16-bit color
. Introduced improved AC '97 / Soft Audio driver - adds EQ, speaker
cloning, and speaker wizard support
. Introduced Speaker Wizard - incorporates all NVSwap features, ensures
correct speaker setup on analog or digital speaker systems
. Introduced Cinesurround - virtual 5.1 mixdown to headphones or 2 speakers
. Introduced new Environments - simple, preset driven sound environments
. Enhanced ASIO support and added support for AC '97 / Soft Audio systems
. Added user adjustable "rear channel creation" support - adds off, clone,
reverb and delay
. Added support for Realtek ALC655 codecs, Realtek ALC658 codecs, and 7.1
support for Realtek ALC850 codecs
. Added support for WMV-HD audio streams and WaveFormatExtensible calls
. Improved playback of mono content
. Addressed audio issues in numerous games and applications

Storage Driver Improvements:
.. Support for Serial ATA controllers
.. Full NVIDIA RAID functionality on supported platforms
.. Improved compatibility with 3rd-party drive management, CD ripping and
recording software.
.. Automatic DMA-mode fall-back when data errors are present due to poor
cabling
.. Improved handling of various storage devices

Windows XP Driver Versions
.. Audio driver 4.31 (WHQL)
.. Audio utilities 4.31
.. Ethernet driver 4.16 (WHQL)
.. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
.. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
.. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
.. Installer 4.38
.. IDE NVIDIA driver 4.12

Windows 98SE/ME
Version: 4.20
Release Date: May 10, 2004
U.S. English (International version not yet released)
File Size: 4.2 MB
WHQL Certified

Installation Notes:

Windows 98SE users should set the desired display mode (resolution and color
depth) before restarting the system.

USB 2.0 is not supported in this package. Contact your product manufacturer
for 3rd party drivers to enable this feature.

Please note that only Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millennium
Edition are supported. Earlier versions of Windows are not supported.

[...]

Windows 9x Driver Versions:
.. Audio driver 4.31
.. Audio utilities 4.31
.. Ethernet driver 4.16
.. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
.. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
.. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
.. Installer 4.31
25 answers Last reply
More about nforce unified drivers 2000 98se

    And the new nvMixer is super.

    "Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    cloning,
    > and speaker wizard support
    > . Introduced Speaker Wizard - incorporates all NVSwap features, ensures
    > correct speaker setup on analog or digital speaker systems
    > . Introduced Cinesurround - virtual 5.1 mixdown to headphones or 2
    speakers
    > . Introduced new Environments - simple, preset driven sound environments
    > . Enhanced ASIO support and added support for AC '97 / Soft Audio systems
    > . Added user adjustable "rear channel creation" support - adds off, clone,
    > reverb and delay
    > . Added support for Realtek ALC655 codecs, Realtek ALC658 codecs, and 7.1
    > support for Realtek ALC850 codecs
    > . Added support for WMV-HD audio streams and WaveFormatExtensible calls
    > . Improved playback of mono content
    > . Addressed audio issues in numerous games and applications

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:43:02 -0700, "Jef Norton"
    <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Previously the Audio and IDE drivers had been released as Beta. These are
    >now official releases.
    Do you have a link to these new drivers Jef or know where i can D/L
    them from .
    Regards.
    Grant .
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    <grant@thepeople.net> wrote in message

    | Do you have a link to these new drivers Jef or know where i can D/L
    | them from .
    | Regards.
    | Grant .

    Hi Grant -

    For 2000/XP:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24

    For 98SE/ME:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.20

    Sorry I neglected to include direct links in my original post on the
    subject. These are direct from nVidia. International releases are not yet
    available (English language only at the present).

    Jef
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Mike Bernstein wrote:
    > And the new nvMixer is super.

    Any reason why I should not upgrade from 3.13? Any issues?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Per Nielsen" <dazzler53@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    | Any reason why I should not upgrade from 3.13? Any issues?

    Hi Per -

    The only issues I've noted so far are the ongoing problems with certain
    systems with the SW IDE driver. The installer utility has been
    significantly enhanced with this new release, giving you a single screen to
    select which drivers and options you wish to install (rather than having
    them hap-hazard prompted throughout the installation process).

    I've not encountered any issues on my NF7-M rig running the 4.24's, full
    install (including the SW IDE driver).

    You may wish to look at the drivers page at http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/
    or the nVidia page at http://forum.abit-usa.com for any additional issues
    that are being reported with the new drivers.

    If you're running XP, the driver rollback facility seems to work just fine
    if you experience any issues with a particular driver in the new pack.

    Jef
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:29:57 -0700, "Jef Norton"
    <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    ><grant@thepeople.net> wrote in message
    >
    >| Do you have a link to these new drivers Jef or know where i can D/L
    >| them from .
    >| Regards.
    >| Grant .
    >
    >Hi Grant -
    >
    >For 2000/XP:
    >http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24
    >
    >For 98SE/ME:
    >http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.20
    >
    >Sorry I neglected to include direct links in my original post on the
    >subject. These are direct from nVidia. International releases are not yet
    >available (English language only at the present).
    Thanks Jef no problem .
    We do have a problem though lets see how can I explain this quickly
    Two computers both with NF7-S Mobo's one with a 3200 amd one with a
    2700 amd both have same amount of RAM .
    I bought an Asus 128Mb V9570TD Tv/DVI Fx5700 and I am only getting
    2380 3D marks with it in this machine put it in the other and it gets
    over 11000 marks put the card from the other machine in here and it
    comes up with over 9000 marks which is right has it is only an FX56
    card the other being a FX57 .
    We now know the new card isn't faulty but would like to know what is
    causing the problem could it be that the AGP slot is slightly
    faulty on this board !!.
    Grant .
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    | Thanks Jef no problem .
    | We do have a problem though lets see how can I explain this quickly
    | Two computers both with NF7-S Mobo's one with a 3200 amd one with a
    | 2700 amd both have same amount of RAM .
    | I bought an Asus 128Mb V9570TD Tv/DVI Fx5700 and I am only getting
    | 2380 3D marks with it in this machine put it in the other and it gets
    | over 11000 marks put the card from the other machine in here and it
    | comes up with over 9000 marks which is right has it is only an FX56
    | card the other being a FX57 .
    | We now know the new card isn't faulty but would like to know what is
    | causing the problem could it be that the AGP slot is slightly
    | faulty on this board !!.
    | Grant .

    Hi Grant -

    That one's beyond my trouble-shooting skills.

    Perhaps a new thread with an appropriate header and maybe even posting on
    the NVIDIA page at http://forum.abit-usa.com will get you the help you need
    to diagnose and correct the problem.

    Jef
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jef Norton wrote:
    > The only issues I've noted so far are the ongoing problems with
    > certain systems with the SW IDE driver. The installer utility has
    > been significantly enhanced with this new release, giving you a
    > single screen to select which drivers and options you wish to install
    > (rather than having them hap-hazard prompted throughout the
    > installation process).

    Sounds good. The last time I chose Microsoft's driver instead of Nvidia's SW
    IDE driver. Seems to run better with my system (Abit NF7-S BIOS 22).

    > I've not encountered any issues on my NF7-M rig running the 4.24's,
    > full install (including the SW IDE driver).

    I might try the full install, except for the SW IDE driver.

    > If you're running XP, the driver rollback facility seems to work just
    > fine if you experience any issues with a particular driver in the new
    > pack.

    Neat. Thx for your help :-)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > Jef Norton wrote:
    > > The only issues I've noted so far are the ongoing problems with
    > > certain systems with the SW IDE driver. The installer utility has
    > > been significantly enhanced with this new release, giving you a
    > > single screen to select which drivers and options you wish to install
    > > (rather than having them hap-hazard prompted throughout the
    > > installation process).
    >
    > Sounds good. The last time I chose Microsoft's driver instead of Nvidia's
    SW
    > IDE driver. Seems to run better with my system (Abit NF7-S BIOS 22).
    >
    > > I've not encountered any issues on my NF7-M rig running the 4.24's,
    > > full install (including the SW IDE driver).
    >
    > I might try the full install, except for the SW IDE driver.
    >
    > > If you're running XP, the driver rollback facility seems to work just
    > > fine if you experience any issues with a particular driver in the new
    > > pack.
    >
    > Neat. Thx for your help :-)

    What's the best way to install these drivers in XP ? Can I just install on
    top of my current setup or do I need to uninstall anything first ?

    Thanks.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "?uzzled" <not@got.one> wrote in message

    | What's the best way to install these drivers in XP ? Can I just install on
    | top of my current setup or do I need to uninstall anything first ?
    |
    | Thanks.

    Hi ?uzzled -

    I ran the installer without un-installing the 3.13 pack (plus beta releases
    of the IDE and Audio drivers from last month).

    No issues here and, with the driver rollback feature, have the old drivers
    available should I have problems.

    Jef
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:19:59 -0700, "Jef Norton"
    <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Perhaps a new thread with an appropriate header and maybe even posting on
    >the NVIDIA page at http://forum.abit-usa.com will get you the help you need
    >to diagnose and correct the problem.
    >
    >Jef

    Your answer doesn't surprise me Jef I got more or less the same
    answer from the tech support guy at the suppliers of the boards and
    cards :)) .
    Grant .
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Thanks Jef. I'm really surprised Nvidia bothered to come out w/drivers for
    98SE/Me. ATI has given up supporting 98SE/Me. Because of Nvidia's commitment to
    driver development I think I'm making my next video card purchase Nvidia. Big
    thanks to Nvidia for continuing to support 98SE/Me despite the fact Microshaft
    wants us all to buy into XP.

    >Hi Grant -
    >
    >For 2000/XP:
    >http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24
    >
    >For 98SE/ME:
    >http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.20
    >
    >Sorry I neglected to include direct links in my original post on the
    >subject. These are direct from nVidia. International releases are not yet
    >available (English language only at the present).
    >
    >Jef

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Wblane wrote:
    > Thanks Jef. I'm really surprised Nvidia bothered to come out
    > w/drivers for 98SE/Me. ATI has given up supporting 98SE/Me. Because
    > of Nvidia's commitment to driver development I think I'm making my
    > next video card purchase Nvidia. Big thanks to Nvidia for continuing
    > to support 98SE/Me despite the fact Microshaft wants us all to buy
    > into XP.

    A friend of mine has an Abit NF7-S rev.2.0 running on Win98SE. Can't get her
    to change to XP ;-). Anything we should be aware of regarding installing the
    newest Win98 Unified Driver 4.20? I assume I would say no to installing
    Nvidia SW IDE, but besides that? Just install and that's that?

    What about:

    USB 2.0 is not supported in this package. Contact your product manufacturer
    for 3rd party drivers to enable this feature.

    How to enable USB 2.0 afterwards then?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    | A friend of mine has an Abit NF7-S rev.2.0 running on Win98SE. Can't get
    her
    | to change to XP ;-). Anything we should be aware of regarding installing
    the
    | newest Win98 Unified Driver 4.20? I assume I would say no to installing
    | Nvidia SW IDE, but besides that? Just install and that's that?
    |
    | What about:
    |
    | USB 2.0 is not supported in this package. Contact your product
    manufacturer
    | for 3rd party drivers to enable this feature.
    |
    | How to enable USB 2.0 afterwards then?

    Hi Per -

    The Windows 98SE/ME Platform Drivers don't include the SW IDE driver - it's
    only supported for Windows 2000 and XP.

    The USB 2.0 driver for Windows 98SE/ME is provided by Abit on the original
    NF7 installation CD (look at the Drivers\USB\Win98ME folder and run
    Setup.exe).

    The drivers included in the 4.20 Unified Platform Drivers for Windows
    98SE/ME are:
    .. Audio driver 4.31
    .. Audio utilities 4.31
    .. Ethernet driver 4.16
    .. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
    .. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
    .. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
    .. Installer 4.31

    No IDE/USB in the list.

    On a Windows 98SE/ME box, you don't need to worry about either driver
    getting updated from the original installation of the default Microsoft IDE
    driver and the Orangeware USB 2.0 driver from the original installation CD.

    Jef
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    USB 2.0 is only available off of the headers on the motherboard on the NF7s
    v2.0 right? The two built-in, rear USB connectors aren't USB 2.0 right?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    | USB 2.0 is only available off of the headers on the motherboard on the
    NF7s
    | v2.0 right? The two built-in, rear USB connectors aren't USB 2.0 right?
    | -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    Hi Bill -

    They're all USB 2.0 on my NF7-M.... don't see why they wouldn't be on a
    NF7-S revision 2.0.

    Jef
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > Hi ?uzzled -
    >
    > I ran the installer without un-installing the 3.13 pack (plus beta
    releases
    > of the IDE and Audio drivers from last month).
    >
    > No issues here and, with the driver rollback feature, have the old drivers
    > available should I have problems.
    >
    > Jef

    Thanks, I'll give it a go. Not too sure what version of the nforce drivers
    I'm using at the moment.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I am getting USB 2.0 of the built in connectors on my NF7-S Rev 2 MB.

    "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    > USB 2.0 is only available off of the headers on the motherboard on the
    NF7s
    > v2.0 right? The two built-in, rear USB connectors aren't USB 2.0 right?
    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jef Norton wrote:
    > The Windows 98SE/ME Platform Drivers don't include the SW IDE driver
    > - it's only supported for Windows 2000 and XP.
    >
    > The USB 2.0 driver for Windows 98SE/ME is provided by Abit on the
    > original NF7 installation CD (look at the Drivers\USB\Win98ME folder
    > and run Setup.exe).

    Arh, thx for clearing that up.

    > On a Windows 98SE/ME box, you don't need to worry about either driver
    > getting updated from the original installation of the default
    > Microsoft IDE driver and the Orangeware USB 2.0 driver from the
    > original installation CD.

    No need to worry then. The hardest part is going to be convincing her, that
    she should give the Nvidia 4.20 drivers a shot ;-)
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
    running?

> [...]
    cloning,
    > and speaker wizard support
    > . Introduced Speaker Wizard - incorporates all NVSwap features, ensures
    > correct speaker setup on analog or digital speaker systems
    > . Introduced Cinesurround - virtual 5.1 mixdown to headphones or 2
    speakers
    > . Introduced new Environments - simple, preset driven sound environments
    > . Enhanced ASIO support and added support for AC '97 / Soft Audio systems
    > . Added user adjustable "rear channel creation" support - adds off, clone,
    > reverb and delay
    > . Added support for Realtek ALC655 codecs, Realtek ALC658 codecs, and 7.1
    > support for Realtek ALC850 codecs
    > . Added support for WMV-HD audio streams and WaveFormatExtensible calls
    > . Improved playback of mono content
    > . Addressed audio issues in numerous games and applications

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    >Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
    >running?

    If you go into control panels and double click the system icon it will show the
    windows version and if you are using service pack 1.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Odie" <observer_11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
    | running?

    Hi Odie -

    I don't know of a "simple" way...

    But, you can tell if you aren't running the latest and greatest by going
    into Device Manager and looking at the Driver tab for each of the following
    components and checking the installed version:

    Windows XP Driver Versions
    .. Audio driver 4.31 (WHQL)
    .. Audio utilities 4.31
    .. Ethernet driver 4.16 (WHQL)
    .. GART driver 3.77 (WHQL)
    .. Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
    .. SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
    .. Installer 4.38
    .. IDE NVIDIA driver 4.12

    The above listed versions are from the new 4.24 release. If your version
    numbers are lower, you're not running the latest and greatest. You'll have
    to find the release notes for the prior versions (beginning with 3.13) in
    order to match the version numbers you have installed with the device to
    determine what pack you actually have installed.

    Sorry to not be able to give you an easy way to accomplish this.

    PRIVATE1964 gets the annual "Jef Norton award for technically accurate
    information" for providing the correct answer to the wrong question -- I'm
    famous for that. ;-)

    Jef
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    >Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
    >running?

    This question sure looks like he is asking about which Windows version he is
    running. I thought he wanted to know which version Windows he is running
    because for USB 2 you need to have service pack 1 installed.
    Maybe next time he should be a little bit more specific with his question.

    There is another way to get information on the drivers, but I think the easiest
    way is probably through device manager.

    You can also use Windows System Information.

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
    | >Is there a simple way in winXP to determine what version I am currently
    | >running?
    |
    | This question sure looks like he is asking about which Windows version he
    is
    | running. I thought he wanted to know which version Windows he is running
    | because for USB 2 you need to have service pack 1 installed.
    | Maybe next time he should be a little bit more specific with his question.
    |
    | There is another way to get information on the drivers, but I think the
    easiest
    | way is probably through device manager.
    |
    | You can also use Windows System Information.
    |
    | C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe

    Hi PRIVATE1964 -

    No offense intended. I put the onus on Odie for not being clear by saying
    (with a smiley no less) that you had provided the correct answer to the
    wrong question.

    Good suggestion about using System Information.

    Jef
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    >No offense intended. I put the onus on Odie for not being clear by saying
    >(with a smiley no less) that you had provided the correct answer to the
    >wrong question.

    Hi, no offense taken.

Drivers Windows XP Motherboards