NF7-S Problems!

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:11:49 PM

I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well, however at
first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination I have determined
it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394 panel.

It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed in the
case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus the MOBO is
refusing to power on.

Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?

Cheers

Soupladel

More about : nf7 problems

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:11:50 PM

"Soupladel" <Soupladel@spamcan.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
| I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well, however
at
| first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination I have
determined
| it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394 panel.
|
| It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed in
the
| case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus the MOBO is
| refusing to power on.
|
| Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
|
| Cheers
|
| Soupladel

Hi Soupladel -

Best bet is to look for a motherboard pan standoff which doesn't mate with a
hole in the motherboard. Alternatively, a standoff not properly aligned to
the center of a motherboard hole could also be shorting adjacent traces on
the motherboard.

Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 10:11:50 PM

Soupladel said in news:FH8oc.532$W_5.4283536@news-text.cableinet.net:
> I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
> however at first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination
> I have determined it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394
> panel.
>
> It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed
> in the case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus
> the MOBO is refusing to power on.
>
> Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
>
> Cheers
>
> Soupladel

Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you do not
get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if the computer
won't power up at all. If the problem is that the computer won't power up,
and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power, maybe you have them reversed. If
reversed and you attach the panel to the case, the 5v line shorts out to
ground. The PSU protects by refusing to power up. See
http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections. Make
sure yours are correct.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 11:34:39 PM

"*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
> Soupladel said in news:FH8oc.532$W_5.4283536@news-text.cableinet.net:
> > I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
> > however at first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination
> > I have determined it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394
> > panel.
> >
> > It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed
> > in the case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus
> > the MOBO is refusing to power on.
> >
> > Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Soupladel
>
> Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you do not
> get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if the computer
> won't power up at all. If the problem is that the computer won't power
up,
> and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power, maybe you have them reversed.
If
> reversed and you attach the panel to the case, the 5v line shorts out to
> ground. The PSU protects by refusing to power up. See
> http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections. Make
> sure yours are correct.

> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel the wrong
way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with the pin at the
top right is missing and the connector has a blanked off hole to allign with
the connector on the board, much in the same way that IDE connectors have
the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!

Soupladel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 11:37:42 PM

"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> "Soupladel" <Soupladel@spamcan.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> | I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
however
> at
> | first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination I have
> determined
> | it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394 panel.
> |
> | It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed in
> the
> | case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus the MOBO is
> | refusing to power on.
> |
> | Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
> |
> | Cheers
> |
> | Soupladel
> |

> Hi Soupladel -
>
> Best bet is to look for a motherboard pan standoff which doesn't mate with
> hole in the motherboard. Alternatively, a standoff not properly aligned
> the center of a motherboard hole could also be shorting adjacent traces on
> the motherboard.
>
> Jef

I suspect it is because the case is hardly what you might call standard (It
was once, many, many moons ago a Packard bell) for example the blanking
plate that comes with the board to surround the sound & printer connectors
etc... will not marry with the case (the slot is a shade too small)

Soupladel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2004 11:37:43 PM

| I suspect it is because the case is hardly what you might call standard
(It
| was once, many, many moons ago a Packard bell) for example the blanking
| plate that comes with the board to surround the sound & printer connectors
| etc... will not marry with the case (the slot is a shade too small)
|
| Soupladel

Hi Soupladel -

From that description: da-yup... I'd be looking for stuff touching the
motherboard... or perhaps a new case even.

Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 6:31:57 AM

Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
> "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
>> Soupladel said in news:FH8oc.532$W_5.4283536@news-text.cableinet.net:
>>> I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
>>> however at first it did not want to boot, by a process of
>>> elimination I have determined it is to do with the additional USB &
>>> IEEE1394 panel.
>>>
>>> It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed
>>> in the case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus
>>> the MOBO is refusing to power on.
>>>
>>> Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Soupladel
>>
>> Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you
>> do not get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if
>> the computer won't power up at all. If the problem is that the
>> computer won't power up, and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power,
>> maybe you have them reversed. If reversed and you attach the panel
>> to the case, the 5v line shorts out to ground. The PSU protects by
>> refusing to power up. See
>> http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections.
>> Make sure yours are correct.
>>
>> --
>> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
>> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
>>

> Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
> the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with
> the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a blanked
> off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in the same
> way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!
>
> Soupladel

Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo headers
for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case and each
wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the USB header.
They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data wires but testing
proved I got it right). I don't know what is this front panel for USB
and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never mention brand and model.
Might be you're talking about the Abit accessory "Media XP/Pro"
(http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not to
guess.

Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed to
ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e., crimped
or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 9:09:51 PM

> Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
> > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you
> >> do not get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if
> >> the computer won't power up at all. If the problem is that the
> >> computer won't power up, and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power,
> >> maybe you have them reversed. If reversed and you attach the panel
> >> to the case, the 5v line shorts out to ground. The PSU protects by
> >> refusing to power up. See
> >> http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections.
> >> Make sure yours are correct.
> >>
> >> --
> >> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> >> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
> >>

> > Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
> > the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with
> > the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a blanked
> > off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in the same
> > way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!
> >
> > Soupladel
>
> Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo headers
> for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case and each
> wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the USB header.
> They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data wires but testing
> proved I got it right). I don't know what is this front panel for USB
> and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never mention brand and model.
> Might be you're talking about the Abit accessory "Media XP/Pro"
> (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not to
> guess.
>
> Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed to
> ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e., crimped
> or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?

> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?catego...

The picture at the bottom of the page, Item in the top corner.

It is actually an item that connects internally and installs into one of the
spare PCI slots! I believe, the problem relates to the plate touching
something on the case that is causing a short!

Soupladel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 9:09:52 PM

Are you connecting a 2.0 USB port on the motherboard to a 1.0 port on the
front panel?

DDDD

> "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
> > Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
> > > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message

> > > Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
> > > the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with
> > > the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a blanked
> > > off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in the same
> > > way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!
> > >
> > > Soupladel
> >
> > Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo headers
> > for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case and each
> > wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the USB header.
> > They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data wires but testing
> > proved I got it right). I don't know what is this front panel for USB
> > and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never mention brand and model.
> > Might be you're talking about the Abit accessory "Media XP/Pro"
> > (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not to
> > guess.
> >
> > Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed to
> > ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e., crimped
> > or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?
> >

> > --
> > *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> > *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
> >

> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?catego...
>
> The picture at the bottom of the page, Item in the top corner.
>
> It is actually an item that connects internally and installs into one of
the
> spare PCI slots! I believe, the problem relates to the plate touching
> something on the case that is causing a short!
>
> Soupladel

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2004 9:09:52 PM

Soupladel said in news:zTsoc.1752$B%.13560076@news-text.cableinet.net:
> "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
>> Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
>>> "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
>>> the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block
>>> with the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a
>>> blanked off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in
>>> the same way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in
>>> the centre!
>>>
>>> Soupladel
>>
>> Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo
>> headers for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case
>> and each wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the
>> USB header. They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data
>> wires but testing proved I got it right). I don't know what is this
>> front panel for USB and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never
>> mention brand and model. Might be you're talking about the Abit
>> accessory "Media XP/Pro"
>> (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not
>> to guess.
>>
>> Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed
>> to ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e.,
>> crimped or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?
>>

>> --
>> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
>> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
>>

> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?catego...
>
> The picture at the bottom of the page, Item in the top corner.
>
> It is actually an item that connects internally and installs into one
> of the spare PCI slots! I believe, the problem relates to the plate
> touching something on the case that is causing a short!
>
> Soupladel

I'd probably report the fault immediately to whomever you bought the
motherboard to get a warranty replacement. Otherwise, you might get
stuck having to buy a replacement (http://snipurl.com/6c8l) at a cost of
$17 plus shipping.

However, before sending it in, just go ahead and check for a short
yourself. Use a multimeter, ohmmeter, or continuity tester to check for
a short. It is possible the signal ground is supposed to be shorted.
The backplates and the connections there would be a point of entry for
ESD and EMI so the short from signal ground to chassis ground might
limit the impact of ESD/EMI entry onto the signal ground wire and thwart
it getting inside. Rather than wonder about a short, just check it.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.