NF7-S Problems!

I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well, however at
first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination I have determined
it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394 panel.

It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed in the
case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus the MOBO is
refusing to power on.

Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?

Cheers

Soupladel
9 answers Last reply
More about problems

    "Soupladel" <Soupladel@spamcan.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    | I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well, however
    at
    | first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination I have
    determined
    | it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394 panel.
    |
    | It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed in
    the
    | case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus the MOBO is
    | refusing to power on.
    |
    | Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
    |
    | Cheers
    |
    | Soupladel

    Hi Soupladel -

    Best bet is to look for a motherboard pan standoff which doesn't mate with a
    hole in the motherboard. Alternatively, a standoff not properly aligned to
    the center of a motherboard hole could also be shorting adjacent traces on
    the motherboard.

    Jef
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Soupladel said in news:FH8oc.532$W_5.4283536@news-text.cableinet.net:
    > I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
    > however at first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination
    > I have determined it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394
    > panel.
    >
    > It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed
    > in the case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus
    > the MOBO is refusing to power on.
    >
    > Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Soupladel

    Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you do not
    get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if the computer
    won't power up at all. If the problem is that the computer won't power up,
    and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power, maybe you have them reversed. If
    reversed and you attach the panel to the case, the 5v line shorts out to
    ground. The PSU protects by refusing to power up. See
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections. Make
    sure yours are correct.

    *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
    > Soupladel said in news:FH8oc.532$W_5.4283536@news-text.cableinet.net:
    > > I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
    > > however at first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination
    > > I have determined it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394
    > > panel.
    > >
    > > It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed
    > > in the case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus
    > > the MOBO is refusing to power on.
    > >
    > > Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Soupladel
    >
    > Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you do not
    > get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if the computer
    > won't power up at all. If the problem is that the computer won't power
    up,
    > and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power, maybe you have them reversed.
    If
    > reversed and you attach the panel to the case, the 5v line shorts out to
    > ground. The PSU protects by refusing to power up. See
    > http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections. Make
    > sure yours are correct.

    > *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    > *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel the wrong
    way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with the pin at the
    top right is missing and the connector has a blanked off hole to allign with
    the connector on the board, much in the same way that IDE connectors have
    the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!

    Soupladel
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > "Soupladel" <Soupladel@spamcan.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > | I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
    however
    > at
    > | first it did not want to boot, by a process of elimination I have
    > determined
    > | it is to do with the additional USB & IEEE1394 panel.
    > |
    > | It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed in
    > the
    > | case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus the MOBO is
    > | refusing to power on.
    > |
    > | Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
    > |
    > | Cheers
    > |
    > | Soupladel
    > |

    > Hi Soupladel -
    >
    > Best bet is to look for a motherboard pan standoff which doesn't mate with
    > hole in the motherboard. Alternatively, a standoff not properly aligned
    > the center of a motherboard hole could also be shorting adjacent traces on
    > the motherboard.
    >
    > Jef

    I suspect it is because the case is hardly what you might call standard (It
    was once, many, many moons ago a Packard bell) for example the blanking
    plate that comes with the board to surround the sound & printer connectors
    etc... will not marry with the case (the slot is a shade too small)

    Soupladel
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    | I suspect it is because the case is hardly what you might call standard
    (It
    | was once, many, many moons ago a Packard bell) for example the blanking
    | plate that comes with the board to surround the sound & printer connectors
    | etc... will not marry with the case (the slot is a shade too small)
    |
    | Soupladel

    Hi Soupladel -

    From that description: da-yup... I'd be looking for stuff touching the
    motherboard... or perhaps a new case even.

    Jef
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
    > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Soupladel said in news:FH8oc.532$W_5.4283536@news-text.cableinet.net:
    >>> I have recently installed the NF7-S and all went relatively well,
    >>> however at first it did not want to boot, by a process of
    >>> elimination I have determined it is to do with the additional USB &
    >>> IEEE1394 panel.
    >>>
    >>> It appears to work fine when plugged into the MOBO but not installed
    >>> in the case which would suggested that it is being earthed and thus
    >>> the MOBO is refusing to power on.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody else come across this? if so does anybody have a solution?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Soupladel
    >>
    >> Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you
    >> do not get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if
    >> the computer won't power up at all. If the problem is that the
    >> computer won't power up, and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power,
    >> maybe you have them reversed. If reversed and you attach the panel
    >> to the case, the 5v line shorts out to ground. The PSU protects by
    >> refusing to power up. See
    >> http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections.
    >> Make sure yours are correct.
    >>
    >> --
    >> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    >> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    >>

    > Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
    > the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with
    > the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a blanked
    > off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in the same
    > way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!
    >
    > Soupladel

    Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo headers
    for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case and each
    wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the USB header.
    They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data wires but testing
    proved I got it right). I don't know what is this front panel for USB
    and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never mention brand and model.
    Might be you're talking about the Abit accessory "Media XP/Pro"
    (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not to
    guess.

    Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed to
    ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e., crimped
    or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?

    *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
    > > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message

    > >> Does "it did not want to boot" means the computer powers on but you
    > >> do not get past the POST or no drive gets read to find an OS, or if
    > >> the computer won't power up at all. If the problem is that the
    > >> computer won't power up, and since 2 of the 4 wires are for power,
    > >> maybe you have them reversed. If reversed and you attach the panel
    > >> to the case, the 5v line shorts out to ground. The PSU protects by
    > >> refusing to power up. See
    > >> http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb.html for connections.
    > >> Make sure yours are correct.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    > >> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    > >>

    > > Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
    > > the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with
    > > the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a blanked
    > > off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in the same
    > > way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!
    > >
    > > Soupladel
    >
    > Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo headers
    > for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case and each
    > wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the USB header.
    > They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data wires but testing
    > proved I got it right). I don't know what is this front panel for USB
    > and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never mention brand and model.
    > Might be you're talking about the Abit accessory "Media XP/Pro"
    > (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not to
    > guess.
    >
    > Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed to
    > ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e., crimped
    > or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?

    > *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    > *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=6

    The picture at the bottom of the page, Item in the top corner.

    It is actually an item that connects internally and installs into one of the
    spare PCI slots! I believe, the problem relates to the plate touching
    something on the case that is causing a short!

    Soupladel
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Are you connecting a 2.0 USB port on the motherboard to a 1.0 port on the
    front panel?

    DDDD

    > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
    > > > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
    > > > the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block with
    > > > the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a blanked
    > > > off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in the same
    > > > way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in the centre!
    > > >
    > > > Soupladel
    > >
    > > Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo headers
    > > for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case and each
    > > wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the USB header.
    > > They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data wires but testing
    > > proved I got it right). I don't know what is this front panel for USB
    > > and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never mention brand and model.
    > > Might be you're talking about the Abit accessory "Media XP/Pro"
    > > (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not to
    > > guess.
    > >
    > > Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed to
    > > ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e., crimped
    > > or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?
    > >

    > > --
    > > *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    > > *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    > >

    > http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=6
    >
    > The picture at the bottom of the page, Item in the top corner.
    >
    > It is actually an item that connects internally and installs into one of
    the
    > spare PCI slots! I believe, the problem relates to the plate touching
    > something on the case that is causing a short!
    >
    > Soupladel

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Soupladel said in news:zTsoc.1752$B%.13560076@news-text.cableinet.net:
    > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Soupladel said in news:jV9oc.616$KG6.5269740@news-text.cableinet.net:
    >>> "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for that but you *cannot* have the connectors for USB panel
    >>> the wrong way round/miss-alligned as they are in a 2x5 pin block
    >>> with the pin at the top right is missing and the connector has a
    >>> blanked off hole to allign with the connector on the board, much in
    >>> the same way that IDE connectors have the missing pin/filed hole in
    >>> the centre!
    >>>
    >>> Soupladel
    >>
    >> Well, that's not true for all devices that connect to the mobo
    >> headers for USB. I have USB ports integral on the front of my case
    >> and each wire was a separate connector that slide onto a pin in the
    >> USB header. They were labelled (except I had to guess on the data
    >> wires but testing proved I got it right). I don't know what is this
    >> front panel for USB and IEEE1394 that you mention since you never
    >> mention brand and model. Might be you're talking about the Abit
    >> accessory "Media XP/Pro"
    >> (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/multimedia/mediaxp/). I chose not
    >> to guess.
    >>
    >> Is the other end of the cable that connects to the panel also keyed
    >> to ensure you cannot reverse that end? Or is it hardwired (i.e.,
    >> crimped or soldered so that end of the cable cannot be removed)?
    >>

    >> --
    >> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
    >> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    >>

    > http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=6
    >
    > The picture at the bottom of the page, Item in the top corner.
    >
    > It is actually an item that connects internally and installs into one
    > of the spare PCI slots! I believe, the problem relates to the plate
    > touching something on the case that is causing a short!
    >
    > Soupladel

    I'd probably report the fault immediately to whomever you bought the
    motherboard to get a warranty replacement. Otherwise, you might get
    stuck having to buy a replacement (http://snipurl.com/6c8l) at a cost of
    $17 plus shipping.

    However, before sending it in, just go ahead and check for a short
    yourself. Use a multimeter, ohmmeter, or continuity tester to check for
    a short. It is possible the signal ground is supposed to be shorted.
    The backplates and the connections there would be a point of entry for
    ESD and EMI so the short from signal ground to chassis ground might
    limit the impact of ESD/EMI entry onto the signal ground wire and thwart
    it getting inside. Rather than wonder about a short, just check it.

    *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Motherboards