Sound Icon in taskbar disappears!

This is the weirdest thing.. The little speaker icon for
Sound, won't stay put in my taskbar. In Control Panel,
Sound, I click the little box that says "Show sound icon
in taskbar" then I click APPLY and then OK. It then
appears. BUT, when I log off my computer and log back on,
the icon is GONE. So, then I have to go back into Control
Panel, UNclick the "show sound icon in taskbar", then
click APPLY, then re-click the "show sound icon in
taskbar" again and APPLY and OK. It stays there until I
log off the computer and back on again, and same thing.
This has been doing this for a few weeks now. ANyone have
any suggestions? It doesn't affect the sound play at all,
just doesn't keep the icon in the taskbar. Weird!

You can rt click on Start>Select Properties>Taskbar Uncheck Hide
inactive icons also click Customize.
>Volume. Click on arrow on rt and select Always Show. Then Ok,
Apply.
"CactusBrat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the weirdest thing.. The little speaker icon for
> Sound, won't stay put in my taskbar. In Control Panel,
> Sound, I click the little box that says "Show sound icon
> in taskbar" then I click APPLY and then OK. It then
> appears. BUT, when I log off my computer and log back on,
> the icon is GONE. So, then I have to go back into Control
> Panel, UNclick the "show sound icon in taskbar", then
> click APPLY, then re-click the "show sound icon in
> taskbar" again and APPLY and OK. It stays there until I
> log off the computer and back on again, and same thing.
> This has been doing this for a few weeks now. ANyone have
> any suggestions? It doesn't affect the sound play at all,
> just doesn't keep the icon in the taskbar. Weird!

Rich, thanks for your reply, but the problem isn't with
the sound icon hiding. It just disappears! I have "Hide
inactive" unchecked, always have had it that way. I also
clicked and tried and then unclicked and tried "lock the
taskbar" and that makes no difference either. I will try
the "always show" option and see if that makes a diff. I
really don't think this is it, though.

So, you go to Control Panel>Select Sound and Audio
Devices>Volume>check the box "Place volume
Icon on Taskbar" and click Apply Ok. ? And it still disappears?
If yes then go to
C:\Windows\System32\sndvol32.exe rt click on the file and choose
send to desktop as shortcut.
> Rich, thanks for your reply, but the problem isn't with
> the sound icon hiding. It just disappears! I have "Hide
> inactive" unchecked, always have had it that way. I also
> clicked and tried and then unclicked and tried "lock the
> taskbar" and that makes no difference either. I will try
> the "always show" option and see if that makes a diff. I
> really don't think this is it, though.

Hi Rich. I will try your other suggestion. And to answer
your question about going into Control Panel, the answer
is yes. That's what I've been doing. Checking "place
volume icon on taskbar" and yes, it dissappears when I
reboot the computer. I'll try the other and post the
results. Thanks! Cactusbrat

Another one of WindowsXP's mysteries. ????
> Hi Rich. I will try your other suggestion. And to answer
> your question about going into Control Panel, the answer
> is yes. That's what I've been doing. Checking "place
> volume icon on taskbar" and yes, it dissappears when I
> reboot the computer. I'll try the other and post the
> results. Thanks! Cactusbrat

noticed the mention of logon... could this be user properties issue?

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Another one of WindowsXP's mysteries. ????
> "Cactusbrat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rich. I will try your other suggestion. And to answer
> > your question about going into Control Panel, the answer
> > is yes. That's what I've been doing. Checking "place
> > volume icon on taskbar" and yes, it dissappears when I
> > reboot the computer. I'll try the other and post the
> > results. Thanks! Cactusbrat

wingo

OH You Are So Doomed!
It is a windows `VIRUS` of biblical proportions, never to be resolved without a total reinstall of the operating system.
Aaaa, I'm just yankin ya.

try this:

Right click - Start
Properties
Taskbar
Check - Hide inactive icons
go to Customize
Open the fly on the volume icon, click on 'always show'

You're Welcome