Multipliers

Ian

I have put a new Intel P4 3.06GhZ into a VI7 motherboard. It needs to be
set at 533 with a x23 multiplier. It gets set at 533 ok, but the multiplier
is greyed out at 12 so it runs at something like 1.4 GHz. Is this a
processor problem, or a M/B problem? I have flashed to the very latest
BIOS. I would be very grateful for any help or guidance.

Ian

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

you sure about those multipliers? sounds to me like you have an 800
(internal) FSB cpu that runs at 200 FSB external and you don't have things
set up right... most of the newer CPU's from Intel have the "c" designation
unless it is a Prescott and the C chips are 800 FSB Hyperthreading CPU's.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Ian" <ian@hadley109.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have put a new Intel P4 3.06GhZ into a VI7 motherboard. It needs to be
> set at 533 with a x23 multiplier. It gets set at 533 ok, but the
multiplier
> is greyed out at 12 so it runs at something like 1.4 GHz. Is this a
> processor problem, or a M/B problem? I have flashed to the very latest
> BIOS. I would be very grateful for any help or guidance.
>
> Ian

"Ian" <ian@hadley109.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message...
>I have put a new Intel P4 3.06GhZ into a VI7 motherboard. It needs
> to be set at 533 with a x23 multiplier. It gets set at 533 ok, but the
> multiplier is greyed out at 12 so it runs at something like 1.4 GHz. Is
> this a processor problem, or a M/B problem?

Processor problem, almost certainly. Silly question, but are you sure it's a
3.06? With a multiplier locked at 12x, the only thing it should really be is
a P4 2.4C. If the engraving on the IHS says what it's supposed to, I'd
return the CPU as defective.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom