Won't switch back to default printer. Please help me!

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Switch
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 5, 2004 3:36:28 PM

Hi,
I have a problem, and that is that when I am using MS Word and print
NOT to my default printer, (eg. winfax) it will not switch back to the
default printer unless I close all programs that are running. (for
example I always have Outlook open and unless I close that it won't
switch back to my default printer.)
I am running Window XP.
If anyone can help me I would be forever grateful.

More about : switch back default printer

Anonymous
April 5, 2004 7:14:54 PM

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <44a7151a.0404051036.35c8b72a@posting.google.com>,
amijuice@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
> I have a problem, and that is that when I am using MS Word and print
> NOT to my default printer, (eg. winfax) it will not switch back to the
> default printer unless I close all programs that are running. (for
> example I always have Outlook open and unless I close that it won't
> switch back to my default printer.)
> I am running Window XP.
> If anyone can help me I would be forever grateful.

The only way to fix it is to tell Outlook to NOT use Word as your e-mail
editor. The problem is that Outlook holds a copy of Word open in memory as
long as it's running, or at least after the first time the editor/viewer
is opened. You could use Task Manager (right-click start bar and click on
Task Manager), go to processes, click on winword.exe, and 'End Process'
it, but that is not recommended. Word keeps several files open in a
temporary directory, and if you kill it like that, those files never get
deleted and will clog up your computer over time.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 3:03:23 AM

Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1adb7a39dd1dbdc7989977@news.comcast.giganews.com>...
> [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]
>
> In article <44a7151a.0404051036.35c8b72a@posting.google.com>,
> amijuice@hotmail.com says...
> > Hi,
> > I have a problem, and that is that when I am using MS Word and print
> > NOT to my default printer, (eg. winfax) it will not switch back to the
> > default printer unless I close all programs that are running. (for
> > example I always have Outlook open and unless I close that it won't
> > switch back to my default printer.)
> > I am running Window XP.
> > If anyone can help me I would be forever grateful.
>
> The only way to fix it is to tell Outlook to NOT use Word as your e-mail
> editor. The problem is that Outlook holds a copy of Word open in memory as
> long as it's running, or at least after the first time the editor/viewer
> is opened. You could use Task Manager (right-click start bar and click on
> Task Manager), go to processes, click on winword.exe, and 'End Process'
> it, but that is not recommended. Word keeps several files open in a
> temporary directory, and if you kill it like that, those files never get
> deleted and will clog up your computer over time.

Thanks for your answer,

I have always had word as my email editor, and have not had a problem
before. Just from one day to the next I noticed that it was not
switching back to the default printer...... Is there any thing else
that can cause that to happen?