Won't switch back to default printer. Please help me!

Hi,
I have a problem, and that is that when I am using MS Word and print
NOT to my default printer, (eg. winfax) it will not switch back to the
default printer unless I close all programs that are running. (for
example I always have Outlook open and unless I close that it won't
switch back to my default printer.)
I am running Window XP.
If anyone can help me I would be forever grateful.
2 answers Last reply
More about switch back default printer

    [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
    the cited author.]

    In article <44a7151a.0404051036.35c8b72a@posting.google.com>,
    amijuice@hotmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    > I have a problem, and that is that when I am using MS Word and print
    > NOT to my default printer, (eg. winfax) it will not switch back to the
    > default printer unless I close all programs that are running. (for
    > example I always have Outlook open and unless I close that it won't
    > switch back to my default printer.)
    > I am running Window XP.
    > If anyone can help me I would be forever grateful.

    The only way to fix it is to tell Outlook to NOT use Word as your e-mail
    editor. The problem is that Outlook holds a copy of Word open in memory as
    long as it's running, or at least after the first time the editor/viewer
    is opened. You could use Task Manager (right-click start bar and click on
    Task Manager), go to processes, click on winword.exe, and 'End Process'
    it, but that is not recommended. Word keeps several files open in a
    temporary directory, and if you kill it like that, those files never get
    deleted and will clog up your computer over time.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1adb7a39dd1dbdc7989977@news.comcast.giganews.com>...
    > [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
    > the cited author.]
    >
    > In article <44a7151a.0404051036.35c8b72a@posting.google.com>,
    > amijuice@hotmail.com says...
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a problem, and that is that when I am using MS Word and print
    > > NOT to my default printer, (eg. winfax) it will not switch back to the
    > > default printer unless I close all programs that are running. (for
    > > example I always have Outlook open and unless I close that it won't
    > > switch back to my default printer.)
    > > I am running Window XP.
    > > If anyone can help me I would be forever grateful.
    >
    > The only way to fix it is to tell Outlook to NOT use Word as your e-mail
    > editor. The problem is that Outlook holds a copy of Word open in memory as
    > long as it's running, or at least after the first time the editor/viewer
    > is opened. You could use Task Manager (right-click start bar and click on
    > Task Manager), go to processes, click on winword.exe, and 'End Process'
    > it, but that is not recommended. Word keeps several files open in a
    > temporary directory, and if you kill it like that, those files never get
    > deleted and will clog up your computer over time.

    Thanks for your answer,

    I have always had word as my email editor, and have not had a problem
    before. Just from one day to the next I noticed that it was not
    switching back to the default printer...... Is there any thing else
    that can cause that to happen?

Printers Default Switch Peripherals