IC7 SATA question

Robert

I just installed a SATA 7k250 Hitachi Deskstar 160Gb drive and BIOS
only detects it as 136Gb. I have the lastest BIOS for the IC7 (bios
23). I also have the Onchip set to Enhanced mode in BIOS since there
are additional PATA drives. Why is this detected only as 136Gb? I
can only create a 136Gb partition in Win2k setup :( I am not using
RAID and using the drive a single IDE.

How am I supposed to get the BIOS to see the whole drive?

Thanks,

Robert

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I believe you are seeing a limitation of the OS, not the bios. I can tell
you that the bios on the SATA controllers on the IC7 is perfectly capable of
supporting drives over 137 gig. I'm not sure that the LBA mode setting even
applies to the SATA controller but you would want any settings regarding LBA
modes set to enabled.

you may want to visit the MS Knowledge Base and see what they say about
Win2K and 48 bit LBA or drives larger than 137 gig. I know that WinXP,
without SP1, required some tweaks to be able to support 48 bit LBA and, of
course, Win2K precedes XP by many years.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

On 12 May 2004 14:14:06 -0700, platinum8@hotmail.com (Robert) wrote:

>I just installed a SATA 7k250 Hitachi Deskstar 160Gb drive and BIOS
>only detects it as 136Gb. I have the lastest BIOS for the IC7 (bios
>23). I also have the Onchip set to Enhanced mode in BIOS since there
>are additional PATA drives. Why is this detected only as 136Gb? I
>can only create a 136Gb partition in Win2k setup :( I am not using
>RAID and using the drive a single IDE.
>
>How am I supposed to get the BIOS to see the whole drive?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Robert

I have a 160gb HDD on my IC7 but using the IDE controller. BIOS sees
all of it. I'm running XP and you need SP1 for it to see all of the
HDD. Below is what Seagate says.

The only current Windows operating systems that natively support the
full capacity of drives larger than 137GB are:

Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Windows XP Professional SP1
Windows 2000 Professional SP3
Windows 2000 Server SP3

Robert

> I have a 160gb HDD on my IC7 but using the IDE controller. BIOS sees
> all of it. I'm running XP and you need SP1 for it to see all of the
> HDD. Below is what Seagate says.
>
> The only current Windows operating systems that natively support the
> full capacity of drives larger than 137GB are:
>
> Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP1)
> Windows XP Professional SP1
> Windows 2000 Professional SP3
> Windows 2000 Server SP3

Thanks for the replies, I've made a bit a progress since my last post.
My BIOS is now seeing the whole drive. I can't pinpoint which change
I made resulted in BIOS being able to detect the entire capacity. I
actually had the drive connected to SATA 2 (rather than SATA 1), so I
switched the drive from SATA2-->SATA 1. When I checked the BIOS again
the drive was showing 164GB.

But before I changed to SATA 1, I had already applied SP4 and added
the registry key EnableBigLba, so it could have been showing the full
capacity on SATA 2 as far as I know. What confuses me is if the
registry change did actually enable BIOS to see the whole capacity,
would it always show 136GB up until an operating system that supports
large capacity drives is fully installed? (Scratching my head) I'm
wondering if the registry key EnableBigLba changes the drive geometry?
Again maybe it was just the switch from SATA2-->SATA1 that did the
trick. Anyways I'm glad its working now :)

Thanks,
Robert