IC7-G Max II Advance Problem.

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 13, 2004 4:18:35 AM

Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that require any
sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates somewhat, blue and red
square dots, then after another few seconds my pc just restarts, after it
restarts it restarts again with my monitor saying no video link please check
cable. So I figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However
checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of around 80 degrees
and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the same.
Sounds like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card.
Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there incase its
board related. Thanks for all of your time.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2004 5:38:46 AM

As you suspect, the video card is by far the most likely cause of this
problem. You could pinpoint it a little more accurately by running some
number-crunching tasks that'll stretch the CPU, but without stressing the
graphics card. If the system remains stable, you can be pretty sure it's the
video card at fault.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

May 13, 2004 11:04:29 AM

leave the cover off the case and test to see if the same problem happens. I
take it your temps that you are discussing are in F?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that require any
> sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates somewhat, blue and red
> square dots, then after another few seconds my pc just restarts, after it
> restarts it restarts again with my monitor saying no video link please
check
> cable. So I figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
> protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However
> checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of around 80 degrees
> and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the same.
> Sounds like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card.
> Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there incase
its
> board related. Thanks for all of your time.

Related resources
May 14, 2004 1:33:36 AM

Yea the temps are in F. Took the side of the case off and it ran a little
longer. However this time the hole screen pixelated into horizontal lines
and the game crashed, computer did not restart however until I did it
manually.
"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> leave the cover off the case and test to see if the same problem happens.
> take it your temps that you are discussing are in F?
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that require
any
> > sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates somewhat, blue and
red
> > square dots, then after another few seconds my pc just restarts, after
it
> > restarts it restarts again with my monitor saying no video link please
> check
> > cable. So I figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
> > protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However
> > checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of around 80
degrees
> > and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the
same.
> > Sounds like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card.
> > Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there incase
> its
> > board related. Thanks for all of your time.

May 14, 2004 1:33:37 AM

you have a good power supply with plenty of current available? I had some
gaming or other 3-D issues, crashing to the desktop, black screen, etc., and
it turned out that I did not have enough PSU in the system...

--

> Yea the temps are in F. Took the side of the case off and it ran a little
> longer. However this time the hole screen pixelated into horizontal lines
> and the game crashed, computer did not restart however until I did it
> manually.
> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > leave the cover off the case and test to see if the same problem
happens.
> > take it your temps that you are discussing are in F?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
> >

> > "Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > > Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that require
> any
> > > sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates somewhat, blue and
> red
> > > square dots, then after another few seconds my pc just restarts, after
> it
> > > restarts it restarts again with my monitor saying no video link please
> > check
> > > cable. So I figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
> > > protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However
> > > checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of around 80
> degrees
> > > and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the
> same.
> > > Sounds like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro
card.
> > > Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there
incase
> > its
> > > board related. Thanks for all of your time.

May 14, 2004 1:33:37 AM

that processor temp of 125 is only around 52 C so that is not an issue at
all by the way...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Yea the temps are in F. Took the side of the case off and it ran a little
> longer. However this time the hole screen pixelated into horizontal lines
> and the game crashed, computer did not restart however until I did it
> manually.
> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > leave the cover off the case and test to see if the same problem
happens.
> > take it your temps that you are discussing are in F?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
> >

> > "Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > > Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that require
> any
> > > sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates somewhat, blue and
> red
> > > square dots, then after another few seconds my pc just restarts, after
> it
> > > restarts it restarts again with my monitor saying no video link please
> > check
> > > cable. So I figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
> > > protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However
> > > checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of around 80
> degrees
> > > and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the
> same.
> > > Sounds like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro
card.
> > > Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there
incase
> > its
> > > board related. Thanks for all of your time.

May 14, 2004 1:51:24 AM

Left the cover off and it did almost the same thing. Instead of just a few
pixels going out about the hole screen got horizontal line pixals all over
it. It took a little longer with the side of the case off. Also the
computer didnt restart till I did it manually.
"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> leave the cover off the case and test to see if the same problem happens.
> take it your temps that you are discussing are in F?
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that require
any
> > sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates somewhat, blue and
red
> > square dots, then after another few seconds my pc just restarts, after
it
> > restarts it restarts again with my monitor saying no video link please
> check
> > cable. So I figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
> > protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However
> > checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of around 80
degrees
> > and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the
same.
> > Sounds like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card.
> > Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there incase
> its
> > board related. Thanks for all of your time.

May 14, 2004 5:37:32 AM

Got a goldstar 550w power supply. All the voltages seam to check out on my
ati monitor program. Hopefully this weekend I can grab ahold of a video
card to see if thats the problem. Thanks again!
> you have a good power supply with plenty of current available? I had some
> gaming or other 3-D issues, crashing to the desktop, black screen, etc.,
and
> it turned out that I did not have enough PSU in the system...
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > Yea the temps are in F. Took the side of the case off and it ran a
little
> > longer. However this time the hole screen pixelated into horizontal
lines
> > and the game crashed, computer did not restart however until I did it
> > manually.
> > "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > leave the cover off the case and test to see if the same problem
> happens.
> > > take it your temps that you are discussing are in F?
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Thomas Geery
> > > Network+ certified
> > >
> > > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > > ^^^^^^^
> > >

> > > "Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > any
> > red
> > it
> > > check
However
> > degrees
> > same.
> card.
> incase
> > > its

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2004 5:59:59 AM

I had a vary similar problem last year, though not with a Radeon 9800. One
of the plastic retainer pins which hold the heat sink tight on to the video
card's GPU became slightly loose. It was not obvious until I pulled out the
card for a closer look. I removed the heat sink, applied some artic silver,
and fastened it back tightly. No problems since.

"Josh" <villhaven@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that require any
> sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates somewhat, blue and red
> square dots, then after another few seconds my pc just restarts, after it
> restarts it restarts again with my monitor saying no video link please
check
> cable. So I figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
> protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However
> checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of around 80 degrees
> and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the same.
> Sounds like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card.
> Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there incase
its
> board related. Thanks for all of your time.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2004 12:27:19 PM

Josh wrote:

> Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that
> require any sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates
> somewhat, blue and red square dots, then after another few seconds my
> pc just restarts, after it restarts it restarts again with my monitor
> saying no video link please check cable. So I figure this was an
> overheating problem. Note I had the protection all turned on to
> shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However checking into it it is
> shutting down at a system temp of around 80 degrees and proc temp
> around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the same. Sounds
> like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card.
> Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there
> incase its board related. Thanks for all of your time.

What power supply are you running and what else is in your case?

regards

@ndrew
May 14, 2004 12:27:20 PM

Running a goldstar 550w power supply. Running a Seagate Baracuda sata
drive. 1 gig of ram in dual channel mode. Sound and network are onboard.
Only other thing is my plextor 52x burner.
"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Josh wrote:
>
> > Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that
> > require any sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates
> > somewhat, blue and red square dots, then after another few seconds my
> > pc just restarts, after it restarts it restarts again with my monitor
> > saying no video link please check cable. So I figure this was an
> > overheating problem. Note I had the protection all turned on to
> > shutdownt he pc if it overheats. However checking into it it is
> > shutting down at a system temp of around 80 degrees and proc temp
> > around 125, ps is at 95? i think. Its not always the same. Sounds
> > like it may be Video Card related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card.
> > Never used to to this until lately. Just throwing this out there
> > incase its board related. Thanks for all of your time.
>

> What power supply are you running and what else is in your case?
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2004 10:13:46 PM

Josh wrote:

> Running a goldstar 550w power supply. Running a Seagate Baracuda sata
> drive. 1 gig of ram in dual channel mode. Sound and network are
> onboard. Only other thing is my plextor 52x burner.
> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> > Josh wrote:
> >
> > > Alright heres my problem. When I play any games on my pc that
> > > require any sort of resources after awhile my screen pixalates
> > > somewhat, blue and red square dots, then after another few
> > > seconds my pc just restarts, after it restarts it restarts again
> > > with my monitor saying no video link please check cable. So I
> > > figure this was an overheating problem. Note I had the
> > > protection all turned on to shutdownt he pc if it overheats.
> > > However checking into it it is shutting down at a system temp of
> > > around 80 degrees and proc temp around 125, ps is at 95? i think.
> > > Its not always the same. Sounds like it may be Video Card
> > > related. Using a Radeon 9800 pro card. Never used to to this
> > > until lately. Just throwing this out there incase its board
> > > related. Thanks for all of your time.
> >

> > What power supply are you running and what else is in your case?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > @ndrew

Do you have the 9800 on it's own Molex connector ... nothing else on
that one (no hard drives etc)?

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 2:13:56 AM

These were the exact symptoms that I got with my 9700 Pro in an IC7-G
motherboard. I went so far as to get an RMA no. for the video card. However,
during my final search for a solution I found that I could create these
symptoms just by pushing my cable looms. I eventually discovered that the
fault was on the +12v line of the PSU to mainboard connector. In my case I
could actually see the scorching on the plastic surround of the PSU
connector. The female connector had opened up a little causing an
intermittent loss of contact.

I replaced the PSU and everything was fine and remains so. Given that our
symptoms were identical and our hardware similar it might be worth your
while to check out your power connections.
May 16, 2004 7:38:05 PM

Well I got a Geforce 2 pro card from a friend to test out my problem.
System works great with it so am sending in my radeon for repair.

!