Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Abit IC7-G temperatures.

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2004 2:48:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I've noticed that there are lots of folk like me who have been concerned
about high CPU temperature readings on the IC7-G mainboard (in my case 50c
idle rising to 68c under load). The Abit forum has a lengthy thread on this
topic with all sorts of advice on lapping, buying improved fans, etc, etc.
There's also an "explanation" from Abit which goes into some length saying
that Abit uses a different method of measuring these temperatures to other
manufacturers which explains the different readings but no one knows whether
any of them are accurate. Quite!

Amongst all the teen mantras of psuedo-tech advice on buying various cooling
add ons and other twaddle I found this link buried and largely ignored...

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1845&...

Like many other users of the IC7 series of boards with well ventilated
systems I've tended to ignore these high CPU temps and my system (not
overclocked) has remained stable. The above seems to show that Abit boards
consistently report the CPU core temperature wrong by plus 10 to 13c. The
Asus board consistently reported this temperature more accurately and lower.
Interestingly, the IC7-G core temperature was also consistently 1c cooler
than the Asus when measured by the thermal probe.

I found the test reported above, reassuring and a welcome relief from teenie
techie twaddle that this issue has generated. I hope others might gain
similar relief and spend more time lapping their loved ones' cores and less
on tinkering with their own.;-)

More about : abit ic7 temperatures

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2004 4:40:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:48:12 +0100, "h2so4"
<ron.lacey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I've noticed that there are lots of folk like me who have been concerned
>about high CPU temperature readings on the IC7-G mainboard (in my case 50c
>idle rising to 68c under load).

Just out of curiousity, what cpu do you have? I have 2.66ghz on the
IC7 and it idles at 40c and reaches about 54c max under load. If it is
out 10c then it would be 30c at idle which I know for a fact is not
true. My other PC has 1.8A cpu on an Asus mb and even that idles at
38c.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 1:59:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I have a 3.0ghz chip. If you wade through the thread on the forum you'll
find others with the same chip with identical temps and others with small
variations. The main conclusions that I draw from the tests done with the
thermal probe are...
(i). that Abit's method of reporting these temps is the less accurate than
those of Asus and those of most other manufacturers' of similar boards.

(ii).that Abit's own explanation of the difference, is nothing more than
market waffle couched in techno-babble to pacify the dudes.

(iii). I can safely disregard the high reported CPU temperature and turn my
fan speeds down.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 10:29:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:59:35 +0100, "h2so4"
<ron.lacey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a 3.0ghz chip. If you wade through the thread on the forum you'll
>find others with the same chip with identical temps and others with small
>variations. The main conclusions that I draw from the tests done with the
>thermal probe are...
>(i). that Abit's method of reporting these temps is the less accurate than
>those of Asus and those of most other manufacturers' of similar boards.
>
>(ii).that Abit's own explanation of the difference, is nothing more than
>market waffle couched in techno-babble to pacify the dudes.
>
>(iii). I can safely disregard the high reported CPU temperature and turn my
>fan speeds down.
>

Yes, I have read of this issue before. I just don't believe it is out
10c. I have a fanbus and have all my fans turned down low right now
and it is reading 40.5c. If I turn the fans up to full it will go down
to 38c. 38c is the exact same reading my 1.8 on the Asus mb reads. Why
are my temps normal and your's are not?
May 15, 2004 7:01:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I use a 2.8 chip (not overclocked) with a upgrade to the stock cooler
with a slow fan for noise reasons on a Abit IC7G. Generally I get 39
to 42C for idle and rarely see temps in the 50's except to test. At
55 the fan goes to high speed and holds there. Thanks for the Post.
Whatever temps are shows, both boards do track the change in temps
about the same. This indicated to me that both will tell us when we
are having problems, just need to know the offset.

Thanks

Gary

Allan Sheely <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:59:35 +0100, "h2so4"
><ron.lacey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have a 3.0ghz chip. If you wade through the thread on the forum you'll
>>find others with the same chip with identical temps and others with small
>>variations. The main conclusions that I draw from the tests done with the
>>thermal probe are...
>>(i). that Abit's method of reporting these temps is the less accurate than
>>those of Asus and those of most other manufacturers' of similar boards.
>>
>>(ii).that Abit's own explanation of the difference, is nothing more than
>>market waffle couched in techno-babble to pacify the dudes.
>>
>>(iii). I can safely disregard the high reported CPU temperature and turn my
>>fan speeds down.
>>
>
>Yes, I have read of this issue before. I just don't believe it is out
>10c. I have a fanbus and have all my fans turned down low right now
>and it is reading 40.5c. If I turn the fans up to full it will go down
>to 38c. 38c is the exact same reading my 1.8 on the Asus mb reads. Why
>are my temps normal and your's are not?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2004 3:05:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

> Yes, I have read of this issue before. I just don't believe it is out
> 10c. I have a fanbus and have all my fans turned down low right now
> and it is reading 40.5c. If I turn the fans up to full it will go down
> to 38c. 38c is the exact same reading my 1.8 on the Asus mb reads. Why
> are my temps normal and your's are not?

Did follow the link in my first post to the tests done by the author who
measured and reported on reported temps of an Abit and an Asus board? I
don't understand why you pose the question. If you follow the link and read
the thread it generated you'll see the point of this thread.

I also have a fanbus, in a Coolermaster case with the following fans, 2 x
80mm intake fans at the front, 1 x 80mm extractor fan on the top of the
case, 2 x extra fans in the PCI slot for added cooling for a a Radeon
9800XT, 1 x 80mm extractor fan at the rear of the case. On the CPU I have
the Zalman CPNS7000cu that I've seated and re-seated a few times using
Arctic SilverIII. I would add that my cables are sleeved and I have good
airflow. With the exception of the DDR voltage (@2.7v) all my settings are
at default. I don't overclock.

The current ambient temperature in this study as measured by a digital
thermometer is 20.5c. My CPU temp is 53c, PWM 36c. Should my son play
Battlefield Vietnam, or I play FS2004 the CPU temp will rise to a reported
70 - 72c. My system remains stable for hours at these temps that rapidly
drop back to around a reported 50 - 53c. I simply don't believe these are
accurate and suspect that in reality my temps are similar to yours. I posted
the link to the article to add an alternative to the mantra like
recommendations here concerning daft stuff like lapping heatsinks to adding
more noisy bling bling to the mainboard in order to reduce inaccurately
reported high temperatures.

As you may have guessed, I'm not an Abit fan. The IC7-G has been a great
disappointment to me. You've no doubt also read the threads on poor
soldering on the NB fan retaining clips and the sound issues on the board. I
was very happy with the TH7IIR but think that since then, Abit has gone for
market oriented bling and teenietechie speak rather than good engineering.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2004 11:46:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:05:06 +0100, "h2so4"
<ron.lacey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:


>Did follow the link in my first post to the tests done by the author who
>measured and reported on reported temps of an Abit and an Asus board? I
>don't understand why you pose the question. If you follow the link and read
>the thread it generated you'll see the point of this thread.

Because I have Abit IC7 and Asus P4B533 mb's here myself. My own
testing don't show this 10c variation.
!