KT7A-RAID, reset CMOS and now I have a problem

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2004 7:53:32 PM

I have a KT7A-RAID v1.0, with A9 BIOS. I recently reset my CMOS after
entering bad value in BIOS that wouldn't let me boot at all. I have all
my BIOS settings written down, and reset the BIOS exactly like it was
before.

When I boot, I get the following error after the Highpoint BIOS is read:

"Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key"

When I press any key, it then boots like normal.

I have HDD-0 set as Boot Devices 1, 2 and 3. When I look at the
Highpoint BIOS, it shows my primary drive is HDD-1. I've tried setting
my boot devices to every possible combination of HDD-0 and HDD-1, but I
always get the same results. I get the message, and have to press a
key.

Any ideas what is causing this or how I can fix it?
--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =

On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:53:32 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:

> "Invalid system disk
> Replace the disk, and then press any key"
>
> When I press any key, it then boots like normal.
>
> I have HDD-0 set as Boot Devices 1, 2 and 3. When I look at the
> Highpoint BIOS, it shows my primary drive is HDD-1. I've tried setting
> my boot devices to every possible combination of HDD-0 and HDD-1, but I
> always get the same results. I get the message, and have to press a
> key.
>
> Any ideas what is causing this or how I can fix it?

It's trying to boot from something other than your system disk. Set the
system disk as the first boot device. If it's on the raid controller, set
the boot device to the raid and make sure you have the proper disk
assigned as the boot drive in the raid setup.

a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 1:41:29 AM

In article <pan.2004.05.14.20.37.38.228972@TAKEOUTverizon.net>,
Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:53:32 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:
>
>> "Invalid system disk
>> Replace the disk, and then press any key"
>>
>> When I press any key, it then boots like normal.
>>
>> I have HDD-0 set as Boot Devices 1, 2 and 3. When I look at the
>> Highpoint BIOS, it shows my primary drive is HDD-1. I've tried setting
>> my boot devices to every possible combination of HDD-0 and HDD-1, but I
>> always get the same results. I get the message, and have to press a
>> key.
>>
>> Any ideas what is causing this or how I can fix it?
>
>It's trying to boot from something other than your system disk. Set the
>system disk as the first boot device. If it's on the raid controller, set
>the boot device to the raid and make sure you have the proper disk
>assigned as the boot drive in the raid setup.

Thanks for the help, but I don't quite follow. Where should I set the
system disk? Isn't that the BIOS Boot Device, which I've aleady tried?
Or is this something else in the BIOS?

I have a Raid system in place, used the RAID IDE plugs on the MB. I
also have a 2nd hard disk that is on one of the regular IDE lines (along
with DVD and CDR). When the Highpoint BIOS shows my Raid master as
HDD-1, what does it think is HDD-0? The other HD in the Raid, or the
other HD in the system? And can you even change the boot drive default
in the Highpoint BIOS?

--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =
=_ _ _ ___= E-mail: krieg@execpc.SPAM.BLOCK.com.ME.TO =
=_ __ _ __ _ __ _= WWW: http://my.execpc.com/~krieg =
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 1:55:19 AM

I think you need to have OS installed on regular IDE disk. That might be
HDD0.

"Andrew Krieg" <krieg@shell.core.com> wrote in message
> In article <pan.2004.05.14.20.37.38.228972@TAKEOUTverizon.net>,
> Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:
> >On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:53:32 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:
> >
> >> "Invalid system disk
> >> Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> >>
> >> When I press any key, it then boots like normal.
> >>
> >> I have HDD-0 set as Boot Devices 1, 2 and 3. When I look at the
> >> Highpoint BIOS, it shows my primary drive is HDD-1. I've tried setting
> >> my boot devices to every possible combination of HDD-0 and HDD-1, but I
> >> always get the same results. I get the message, and have to press a
> >> key.
> >>
> >> Any ideas what is causing this or how I can fix it?
> >
> >It's trying to boot from something other than your system disk. Set the
> >system disk as the first boot device. If it's on the raid controller, set
> >the boot device to the raid and make sure you have the proper disk
> >assigned as the boot drive in the raid setup.
>
> Thanks for the help, but I don't quite follow. Where should I set the
> system disk? Isn't that the BIOS Boot Device, which I've aleady tried?
> Or is this something else in the BIOS?
>
> I have a Raid system in place, used the RAID IDE plugs on the MB. I
> also have a 2nd hard disk that is on one of the regular IDE lines (along
> with DVD and CDR). When the Highpoint BIOS shows my Raid master as
> HDD-1, what does it think is HDD-0? The other HD in the Raid, or the
> other HD in the system? And can you even change the boot drive default
> in the Highpoint BIOS?
>
> --
> =__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
> =_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =
> =_ _ _ ___= E-mail: krieg@execpc.SPAM.BLOCK.com.ME.TO =
> =_ __ _ __ _ __ _= WWW: http://my.execpc.com/~krieg =
May 15, 2004 5:54:49 AM

"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> I think you need to have OS installed on regular IDE disk. .

Whilst you might think that, you are incorrect...sorry
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 11:31:31 AM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:41:29 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:

> In article <pan.2004.05.14.20.37.38.228972@TAKEOUTverizon.net>,
> Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:
>>On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:53:32 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:
>>
>>> "Invalid system disk
>>> Replace the disk, and then press any key"
>>>
>>> When I press any key, it then boots like normal.
>>>
>>> I have HDD-0 set as Boot Devices 1, 2 and 3. When I look at the
>>> Highpoint BIOS, it shows my primary drive is HDD-1. I've tried setting
>>> my boot devices to every possible combination of HDD-0 and HDD-1, but I
>>> always get the same results. I get the message, and have to press a
>>> key.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what is causing this or how I can fix it?
>>
>>It's trying to boot from something other than your system disk. Set the
>>system disk as the first boot device. If it's on the raid controller, set
>>the boot device to the raid and make sure you have the proper disk
>>assigned as the boot drive in the raid setup.
>
> Thanks for the help, but I don't quite follow. Where should I set the
> system disk? Isn't that the BIOS Boot Device, which I've aleady tried?
> Or is this something else in the BIOS?

A system disk is any disk, floppy, dvd, cd, flash card, etc, with a
bootable OS. I think you said your system disk was on the second channel
of the raid controller. If so, then in the bios you need to make the boot
device ATA100RAID. The you have to set the system disk as the master using
the raid bios. I preferred boot devices in this order; floppy, cdrom,
ata100raid, but whatever turns you on. If you have a hard drive connected
to the regular on board controller, then the first will be hdd-0, 2nd
hdd-1, etc.

> I have a Raid system in place, used the RAID IDE plugs on the MB. I
> also have a 2nd hard disk that is on one of the regular IDE lines (along
> with DVD and CDR). When the Highpoint BIOS shows my Raid master as
> HDD-1, what does it think is HDD-0? The other HD in the Raid, or the
> other HD in the system? And can you even change the boot drive default
> in the Highpoint BIOS?

Don't quite understand here if you have 2 drives on the raid controller in
a raid 0 or 1 setup are what. You can select the boot drive in the raid
bios, but I'm not sure what you have.

a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2004 11:48:58 AM

Ian schrieb:
> "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
>
>>I think you need to have OS installed on regular IDE disk. .
>

> Whilst you might think that, you are incorrect...sorry

have you set "boot other devices" in bios?
!