How will my spec cope with it?

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

My spec is:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Half a gig of RAM

How well will it run HL2 and CS:S? Will I be able to have the graphic
settings above the lowest?

Andrew

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:39:58 -0000, "qwirty" <qwirty@email.com> wrote:

>AMD Athlon XP 2000+
>ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
>Half a gig of RAM
>
>How well will it run HL2 and CS:S? Will I be able to have the graphic
>settings above the lowest?

Your limiting factor will be RAM, apart from that you would be able to
max out the graphics.

qwirty wrote:
> My spec is:
>
> AMD Athlon XP 2000+
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
> Half a gig of RAM
>
> How well will it run HL2 and CS:S? Will I be able to have the graphic
> settings above the lowest?

It's be fine. I've played with that setup but with a GeForce 4 MX.

In alt.games.half-life qwirty <qwirty@email.com> wrote:
> My spec is:
>
> AMD Athlon XP 2000+
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
> Half a gig of RAM
>
> How well will it run HL2 and CS:S? Will I be able to have the graphic
> settings above the lowest?

Yes, without a doubt. I do recommend you stick with the default
recommended video settings though. Perhaps tweak them after you have
had sometime to play the game.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Tim Sampson" <tim@get.rid.of.this.the-sampsons.co.uk> wrote in
message news:co1t8m$2jdl$1@custnews.inweb.co.uk...
> qwirty wrote:
>> My spec is:
>>
>> AMD Athlon XP 2000+
>> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
>> Half a gig of RAM
>>
>> How well will it run HL2 and CS:S? Will I be able to have the
>> graphic
>> settings above the lowest?
>>

> It's be fine. I've played with that setup but with a GeForce 4 MX.

You can't really compare how well the game runs if you use a GF4
because it will take the directX 7 path and will run much faster
because of the lack of refractive water, bump mapping etc etc whereas
the original poster's 9800 will take the directX 9 path

Having said that a 9800 will perform very well as long as you have the
right drivers (see www.steampowered.com forums for catalyst related
issues) and as long as you quit all background tasks (anti-virus etc)
then 512MB will be more than enough.

Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:30:54 -0000, "I like Toys and Cake"
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Having said that a 9800 will perform very well as long as you have the
>right drivers (see www.steampowered.com forums for catalyst related
>issues) and as long as you quit all background tasks (anti-virus etc)
>then 512MB will be more than enough.

I have 768MB and the game regularly stutters with Windows busily
paging, I would hate to try it with 512MB.

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:30:54 -0000, "I like Toys and Cake"
> <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Having said that a 9800 will perform very well as long as you have
>>the
>>right drivers (see www.steampowered.com forums for catalyst related
>>issues) and as long as you quit all background tasks (anti-virus
>>etc)
>>then 512MB will be more than enough.
>
> I have 768MB and the game regularly stutters with Windows busily
> paging, I would hate to try it with 512MB.

Then I think you need to sort out your system, My friend plays
perfectly with 256MB and although I have 2GB I have windows set to
never swap off it's core along with several background tasks I cannot
quit leaving around 520MB actual free memory and it runs like a dream.

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

In article <qlh9q0t0h2v6jb17tv9ufk52v0u32tsflt@4ax.com>,
spamtrap@localhost. says...
> I have 768MB and the game regularly stutters with Windows busily
> paging, I would hate to try it with 512MB.

then your system has serious problems. 512MB is more then enough to play
CS and most on-line games. What you need to do is look at ALL of the
things running in the background and determine which ones are stealing
CPU cycles while you are playing.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Andrew

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:14:22 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.org> wrote:

>then your system has serious problems. 512MB is more then enough to play
>CS and most on-line games.

I was referring mainly to HL2. CS:S runs okay.

> What you need to do is look at ALL of the
>things running in the background and determine which ones are stealing
>CPU cycles while you are playing.

Nothing is "stealing CPU cycles", HL2 is using all my available memory
(about 512MB free before starting HL2) and then some.

Andrew wrote:

>>then your system has serious problems. 512MB is more then enough to play
>>CS and most on-line games.
>

> I was referring mainly to HL2. CS:S runs okay.

Understandably - CS:S is designed with online multiplayer in mind - they
can't afford maps with gargantuan polycounts and hundreds of different
textures.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Today's episode is brought to you by the word "patience", the letter
"lambda", and the number two ;-)