New Boot Drive

Hi all,

I just added a 160 Gig hard drive to my XP system as
drive D: It seems to be working fine, partitioned,
formatted, etc. and I have copied files to it. I would
like to make it my primary boot drive. How do I copy XP
to the drive without reloading and having to download
all the XP patches again?

TIA!
Kirk Shanahan

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Check with the hard drive manufacturer; their web site usually has programs
to help you to do what you want.

Don't know how good it is but XP comes with a Files and Settings Transfer
Wizard in the System Tools folder.

"Kirk Shanahan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just added a 160 Gig hard drive to my XP system as
> drive D: It seems to be working fine, partitioned,
> formatted, etc. and I have copied files to it. I would
> like to make it my primary boot drive. How do I copy XP
> to the drive without reloading and having to download
> all the XP patches again?
>
> TIA!
> Kirk Shanahan

"Kirk Shanahan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I just added a 160 Gig hard drive to my XP system as
> drive D: It seems to be working fine, partitioned,
> formatted, etc. and I have copied files to it. I would
> like to make it my primary boot drive. How do I copy XP
> to the drive without reloading and having to download
> all the XP patches again?

I just did something very similar to this. (Is it that time of year or
something?) My drive, a 120 gig Seagate. came with an installation program
on CD that moved my WinXP installation (programs, data, etc) over to the new
drive. The only thing I had to do was change the "jumpers"--a slightly
harrowing experience for someone as hardware-clueless as I am.

The only setup to fail the transfer to the new drive was Office XP. But I
managed to fix that as well.

Reminiscing: The first hard drive I ever owned was attached to an Apple 2
and offered A WHOLE MEGABYTE. That was in 1985 or thereabouts. It was about
the size of my UPS and made a fearful racket. It cost $700.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

You could get a copy of Powerquests Drive Image 7, create an Image of drive
C: to a folder on drive D:, when finished copy it over to drive C:. Switch
off the PC, swap the drives position so your current D: becomes the master
on the primary IDE channel. set your motherboard bios to detect hard drives
again. Set your PC to boot from CD, boot using the bootable Drive Image Cd
and restore your image from the Old C: to the new one. Should take no more
than an hour or so start to finish and of course you will have remembered to
back up the files on your old D: before doing any of this, you could even
have copied them to your old C: before imaging so they became part of your
image. All this sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, and you get
to keep all your setting and patches in one piece, and, as your old C: is
now your new D: you have a ready image for use again another time.