Severe Mouse Irritation

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Since no one has responded to my post about the USB mouse performance being
bad I have switched to the PS/2 port. This however has the added utter
annoyance of the light staying on when I turn the computer off. I have
disabled all this nonsense in the BIOS but it still stays on. What I
wouldn't give for 5 minutes alone with the genius who designed this
"helpful" feature. When I switch the PC off I want it off not for a red
light to appear constantly. Why won't this just work? Why won't anyone
answer any posts on my USB mouse? Why?

Unbelievably Irritated Customer

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Because this is a user-to-user newsgroup hosted by Microsoft - not Microsoft
tech support.

"Colin J. Paterson" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Since no one has responded to my post about the USB mouse performance
being
> bad I have switched to the PS/2 port. This however has the added utter
> annoyance of the light staying on when I turn the computer off. I have
> disabled all this nonsense in the BIOS but it still stays on. What I
> wouldn't give for 5 minutes alone with the genius who designed this
> "helpful" feature. When I switch the PC off I want it off not for a red
> light to appear constantly. Why won't this just work? Why won't anyone
> answer any posts on my USB mouse? Why?
>
> Unbelievably Irritated Customer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Some motherboards require that you manipulate jumpers to completely cut off
the power to the ps/2 (and usb) ports when the computer is in an off state
(in addition to the bios settings).

Asus motherboards are like this, in addition to other manufacturers.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Colin J. Paterson" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Since no one has responded to my post about the USB mouse performance
being
> bad I have switched to the PS/2 port. This however has the added utter
> annoyance of the light staying on when I turn the computer off. I have
> disabled all this nonsense in the BIOS but it still stays on. What I
> wouldn't give for 5 minutes alone with the genius who designed this
> "helpful" feature. When I switch the PC off I want it off not for a red
> light to appear constantly. Why won't this just work? Why won't anyone
> answer any posts on my USB mouse? Why?
>
> Unbelievably Irritated Customer

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Maybe because nobody here knows the answer??

> Because this is a user-to-user newsgroup hosted by Microsoft - not
Microsoft
> tech support.
>
> "Colin J. Paterson" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > Since no one has responded to my post about the USB mouse performance
> being
> > bad I have switched to the PS/2 port. This however has the added utter
> > annoyance of the light staying on when I turn the computer off. I have
> > disabled all this nonsense in the BIOS but it still stays on. What I
> > wouldn't give for 5 minutes alone with the genius who designed this
> > "helpful" feature. When I switch the PC off I want it off not for a red
> > light to appear constantly. Why won't this just work? Why won't anyone
> > answer any posts on my USB mouse? Why?
> >
> > Unbelievably Irritated Customer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Lighten up, Colin!

I can't explain why your USB mouse works poorly. I've used lots of
them, from Logitech, HP and Microsoft, on both my laptop and my desktop,
and they've all worked fine.

As for the red light, I don't think you can get rid of it. But I'm
bound to ask - why on earth does it bother you so much? After all, it's
just a little red light. What harm is it doing?

The cure is to watch the world news on the TV. Then you'll have
something more important to worry about.

Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Colin J. Paterson" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Why won't anyone
> answer any posts on my USB mouse? Why?

Because no one knows the answer.

BTW, the light stays on because PS2 is powered. Just ignore it.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

What's the question? What do you mean by irritation?

"Paul Pedersen" <prpeders@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in
message news:uSX0dyRIEHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Colin J. Paterson wrote:

> Since no one has responded to my post about the USB mouse performance being
> bad I have switched to the PS/2 port. This however has the added utter
> annoyance of the light staying on when I turn the computer off. I have
> disabled all this nonsense in the BIOS but it still stays on. What I
> wouldn't give for 5 minutes alone with the genius who designed this
> "helpful" feature. When I switch the PC off I want it off not for a red
> light to appear constantly. Why won't this just work? Why won't anyone
> answer any posts on my USB mouse? Why?
>
> Unbelievably Irritated Customer

Instead of turning the PC off using the front panel on/off switch, try
using the other on/off switch on the back of the case (if your case
has one there) or unplugging the AC power cord. Most PCs do not fully
power down when the standard front panel switch is off; they leave
some pieces on to support external wake-up commands, etc.

Or learn to live with it.
Think of your mouse as having fleas - bright red ones.
--
Cheers, Bob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If you want the mouse tail light to stay off when the computer is off, there
are two things you need to do (if your motherboard allows)

i) disable the mouse wakeup/powerup event in the bios
ii) depending on your motherboard, you may have to manipulate some jumpers
to cut off power to the ports (usb and/or ps/2) when the computer is off.