SATA -- 1 or 2 disk per IDE channel?

A bit off-topic, but I use Abit and Abit has -MAX line of
motherboards...

How many serial harddisk can you connect per IDE channel? Regular 40/80
pin ribbon cable can accommodate 2 disks per cable (or 2 disks per IDE
channel). But, serial connector is point-to-point. I assume each
serial connector is dedicated to one IDE channel, so that you can have
only 1 disk per cable (or 1 disk per IDE channel). Am I right?

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

you are correct that one SATA channel is limited to one device. The IC7-G,
with the Intel ICH5R SATA 1 & 2 and the SI SATA 3 & 4 would be able to hold
a total of 4 drives, one one each on those 4 channels. it also has two PATA
channels that are capable of 2 devices on each of the PATA channels for
another 4 devices, a grand total of 8 devices.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"William Park" <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> A bit off-topic, but I use Abit and Abit has -MAX line of
> motherboards...
>
> How many serial harddisk can you connect per IDE channel? Regular 40/80
> pin ribbon cable can accommodate 2 disks per cable (or 2 disks per IDE
> channel). But, serial connector is point-to-point. I assume each
> serial connector is dedicated to one IDE channel, so that you can have
> only 1 disk per cable (or 1 disk per IDE channel). Am I right?
>
> --
> William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
> Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

"William Park" <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> A bit off-topic, but I use Abit and Abit has -MAX line of
> motherboards...
>
> How many serial harddisk can you connect per IDE channel? Regular 40/80
> pin ribbon cable can accommodate 2 disks per cable (or 2 disks per IDE
> channel). But, serial connector is point-to-point. I assume each
> serial connector is dedicated to one IDE channel, so that you can have
> only 1 disk per cable (or 1 disk per IDE channel). Am I right?
>
> --
> William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
> Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client

None, you can't use SATA on IDE ;)
But it is 1 SATA drive per channel.

BUFF <NOSPAM@here.com> wrote:

> "William Park" <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > A bit off-topic, but I use Abit and Abit has -MAX line of
> > motherboards...
> >
> > How many serial harddisk can you connect per IDE channel? Regular 40/80
> > pin ribbon cable can accommodate 2 disks per cable (or 2 disks per IDE
> > channel). But, serial connector is point-to-point. I assume each
> > serial connector is dedicated to one IDE channel, so that you can have
> > only 1 disk per cable (or 1 disk per IDE channel). Am I right?
> >
> > --
> > William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
> > Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client
>
> None, you can't use SATA on IDE ;)
> But it is 1 SATA drive per channel.

Are you saying SATA is some kind of SCSI?

--

William Park wrote:

> How many serial harddisk can you connect per IDE channel?

An SATA-interface doesn't have any IDE-channels.

SATA is not a kind of SCSI, nor a kind of IDE.
It's a new standard for connecting drives to a PC.

You *might* be able to connect 1 (one) SATA-drive to an IDE-interface,
using an _adapter_, but no guarantees here..

Sinn

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

On 17 May 2004 04:44:12 GMT, William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>BUFF <NOSPAM@here.com> wrote:
>>
>> "William Park" <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> > A bit off-topic, but I use Abit and Abit has -MAX line of
>> > motherboards...
>> >
>> > How many serial harddisk can you connect per IDE channel? Regular 40/80
>> > pin ribbon cable can accommodate 2 disks per cable (or 2 disks per IDE
>> > channel). But, serial connector is point-to-point. I assume each
>> > serial connector is dedicated to one IDE channel, so that you can have
>> > only 1 disk per cable (or 1 disk per IDE channel). Am I right?
>> >
>> > --
>> > William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
>> > Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client
>>
>> None, you can't use SATA on IDE ;)
>> But it is 1 SATA drive per channel.
>
>Are you saying SATA is some kind of SCSI?

No, SATA is some type of SATA ;)

Sinn <phyrestang@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> None, you can't use SATA on IDE ;)
> >> But it is 1 SATA drive per channel.
> >
> >Are you saying SATA is some kind of SCSI?
>
> No, SATA is some type of SATA ;)

Hmm, okey. I was under the impression that it's basically same old IDE,
except for 1Gigbit parallel-to-serial conversion (and reverse) between
motherboard and harddisk. Gotta read more... :)

--

"Jens C. Hansen [Odense]" <"Jens C. Hansen [Odense]"> wrote in message

> You *might* be able to connect 1 (one) SATA-drive to an IDE-interface,
> using an _adapter_, but no guarantees here..

I don't know of any SATAdrive>IDE controller adaptor but there are IDE drive