Reinstalling Windows XP

After a system failure I have tried to reinstall Windows
XP to a Gateway computer. I receive a message "Setup did
not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"
and setup ends. Does this sound like a hard disk drive
failure?
2 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling windows

    "Steve Grant" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After a system failure I have tried to reinstall Windows
    > XP to a Gateway computer. I receive a message "Setup did
    > not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"
    > and setup ends. Does this sound like a hard disk drive
    > failure?

    Yes. I think the advice would be to check the cable.
    Before reinstalling Windows, you might want to trace out what the hardware
    is doing - as if it may have caused the "system failure" you mention.

    Fred

    Best advice!...Most would jump and tell you to re-install.....Check the ide
    cable at the back of the drive to be sure it is all the way inserted; be
    careful, those pins are not undelicate.. Then check the motherboard
    connection where it goes to the board; i have had problems with these not
    being firmly anchored into the connector with CD Drives..
    "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message

    > "Steve Grant" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After a system failure I have tried to reinstall Windows
    > > XP to a Gateway computer. I receive a message "Setup did
    > > not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"
    > > and setup ends. Does this sound like a hard disk drive
    > > failure?
    >
    > Yes. I think the advice would be to check the cable.
    > Before reinstalling Windows, you might want to trace out what the hardware
    > is doing - as if it may have caused the "system failure" you mention.
    >
    > Fred

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP