Reinstalling Windows XP

April 10, 2004 6:43:37 PM

After a system failure I have tried to reinstall Windows
XP to a Gateway computer. I receive a message "Setup did
not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"
and setup ends. Does this sound like a hard disk drive
failure?

More about : reinstalling windows

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:57:34 PM

"Steve Grant" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a system failure I have tried to reinstall Windows
> XP to a Gateway computer. I receive a message "Setup did
> not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"
> and setup ends. Does this sound like a hard disk drive
> failure?

Yes. I think the advice would be to check the cable.
Before reinstalling Windows, you might want to trace out what the hardware
is doing - as if it may have caused the "system failure" you mention.

Fred
April 10, 2004 10:43:56 PM

Best advice!...Most would jump and tell you to re-install.....Check the ide
cable at the back of the drive to be sure it is all the way inserted; be
careful, those pins are not undelicate.. Then check the motherboard
connection where it goes to the board; i have had problems with these not
being firmly anchored into the connector with CD Drives..

!