USB ports don't work w/XP SP1

I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
stopped
working. Device manager showed no problems with the ports
and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a perfect
solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
recent one, so it seems like they ought to be compatible.

I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall, but
no luck.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Meriah...
7 answers Last reply
More about ports work

    Meriah, check here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];822603

    "Meriah" <mx@rhinoi.com> wrote in message
    > I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
    > stopped
    > working. Device manager showed no problems with the ports
    > and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
    > normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a perfect
    > solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
    > requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
    > recent one, so it seems like they ought to be compatible.
    >
    > I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall, but
    > no luck.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Meriah...

    No suggestions on that, but I have Xp and a perfectly good Lexmark Printer. Lexmark tells me the one I have is not compatible with XP ,op.... I have mailed them thinking since I purchased their product that they would either let me send this one back to them, or let me do some kinda of trade in. But all they said is that, " THanks for the input and feedback it is people and questions like yours that better us to serve our customers. No offers, discounts, trade-ins or anything. I find this very unpleasing. If anyone at all can tell me how to get around this please inform me , because they dont seem to care enough to work with me . Thanks

    I have the same problem. After SP1 was applied, my Adaptec USB2Connect
    4000 stopped recognizing USB 2.0 devices.
    I run Win98 on the same machine and the devices continue to run.

    I have the latest drivers from Adaptec installed plus all the hot fixes I
    can find from Microsoft including the fix described in Microsoft Knowledge
    Base Article - 822603 .

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Meriah, check here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];822603
    >
    > "Meriah" <mx@rhinoi.com> wrote in message
    > > I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
    > > stopped
    > > working. Device manager showed no problems with the ports
    > > and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
    > > normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a perfect
    > > solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
    > > requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
    > > recent one, so it seems like they ought to be compatible.
    > >
    > > I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall, but
    > > no luck.
    > >
    > > Suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Meriah...

    Try eBay

    "Pearlgarden" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | No suggestions on that, but I have Xp and a perfectly
    good Lexmark Printer. Lexmark tells me the one I have is not
    compatible with XP ,op.... I have mailed them
    thinking since I purchased their product that they would
    either let me send this one back to them, or let me do some
    kinda of trade in. But all they said is that, " THanks for
    the input and feedback it is people and questions like yours
    that better us to serve our customers. No offers, discounts,
    trade-ins or anything. I find this very unpleasing. If
    anyone at all can tell me how to get around this please
    inform me , because they dont seem to care enough to work
    with me . Thanks

    The "cure" that seems to work for me is to use the device
    manager to remove the USB port and hubs and to unplug the
    USB devices and reboot. This will force the OS to redetect
    and install the port and hubs with the latest drivers. Then
    install the USB devices one at a time so they get properly
    identified.

    "road rascal" <road_rascal_no_spam@rascal.com> wrote in
    message news:40792c7b$0$27650$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...
    | I have the same problem. After SP1 was applied, my
    Adaptec USB2Connect
    | 4000 stopped recognizing USB 2.0 devices.
    | I run Win98 on the same machine and the devices continue
    to run.

    | I have the latest drivers from Adaptec installed plus all
    the hot fixes I
    | can find from Microsoft including the fix described in
    Microsoft Knowledge
    | Base Article - 822603 .
    |

    | "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > Meriah, check here

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];822603

    | > "Meriah" <mx@rhinoi.com> wrote in message
    | > > I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
    | > > stopped
    | > > working. Device manager showed no problems with the
    ports
    | > > and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
    | > > normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a
    perfect
    | > > solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
    | > > requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
    | > > recent one, so it seems like they ought to be
    compatible.

    | > > I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall,
    but
    | > > no luck.
    | > >
    | > > Suggestions?
    | > >
    | > > Thanks!
    | > > Meriah...

    That worked perfectly. Thanks very much! I really
    appreciate it.

    Meriah...

    Unfortunately not for me and today's attempt has been one of several.

    After plugging in the device, I get "USB device not recognized". It is
    recognized under 98SE and on other machines with XP SP1 installed.

    It happens the motherboard on the deviant machine has USB 1.1 support. The
    alledged "malfunctioning device" will work fine on the USB 1.1 ports
    although not at full speed.

    I wonder if all the people who are having problems after installing SP1 on
    XP also have both motherboard and PCI card USB.

USB Windows XP