USB ports don't work w/XP SP1

April 10, 2004 8:45:34 PM

I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
stopped
working. Device manager showed no problems with the ports
and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a perfect
solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
recent one, so it seems like they ought to be compatible.

I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall, but
no luck.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Meriah...

More about : usb ports work sp1

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 9:02:16 PM

Meriah, check here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];822603

"Meriah" <mx@rhinoi.com> wrote in message
> I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
> stopped
> working. Device manager showed no problems with the ports
> and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
> normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a perfect
> solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
> requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
> recent one, so it seems like they ought to be compatible.
>
> I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall, but
> no luck.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Meriah...
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 7:26:02 AM

No suggestions on that, but I have Xp and a perfectly good Lexmark Printer. Lexmark tells me the one I have is not compatible with XP ,op.... I have mailed them thinking since I purchased their product that they would either let me send this one back to them, or let me do some kinda of trade in. But all they said is that, " THanks for the input and feedback it is people and questions like yours that better us to serve our customers. No offers, discounts, trade-ins or anything. I find this very unpleasing. If anyone at all can tell me how to get around this please inform me , because they dont seem to care enough to work with me . Thanks
April 11, 2004 11:31:20 AM

I have the same problem. After SP1 was applied, my Adaptec USB2Connect
4000 stopped recognizing USB 2.0 devices.
I run Win98 on the same machine and the devices continue to run.

I have the latest drivers from Adaptec installed plus all the hot fixes I
can find from Microsoft including the fix described in Microsoft Knowledge
Base Article - 822603 .

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o SRNTh1HEHA.3444@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Meriah, check here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];822603
>
> "Meriah" <mx@rhinoi.com> wrote in message
> > I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
> > stopped
> > working. Device manager showed no problems with the ports
> > and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
> > normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a perfect
> > solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
> > requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
> > recent one, so it seems like they ought to be compatible.
> >
> > I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall, but
> > no luck.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Meriah...

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:11:13 PM

Try eBay

"Pearlgarden" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| No suggestions on that, but I have Xp and a perfectly
good Lexmark Printer. Lexmark tells me the one I have is not
compatible with XP ,op.... I have mailed them
thinking since I purchased their product that they would
either let me send this one back to them, or let me do some
kinda of trade in. But all they said is that, " THanks for
the input and feedback it is people and questions like yours
that better us to serve our customers. No offers, discounts,
trade-ins or anything. I find this very unpleasing. If
anyone at all can tell me how to get around this please
inform me , because they dont seem to care enough to work
with me . Thanks

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:13:46 PM

The "cure" that seems to work for me is to use the device
manager to remove the USB port and hubs and to unplug the
USB devices and reboot. This will force the OS to redetect
and install the port and hubs with the latest drivers. Then
install the USB devices one at a time so they get properly
identified.

"road rascal" <road_rascal_no_spam@rascal.com> wrote in
message news:40792c7b$0$27650$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...
| I have the same problem. After SP1 was applied, my
Adaptec USB2Connect
| 4000 stopped recognizing USB 2.0 devices.
| I run Win98 on the same machine and the devices continue
to run.

| I have the latest drivers from Adaptec installed plus all
the hot fixes I
| can find from Microsoft including the fix described in
Microsoft Knowledge
| Base Article - 822603 .
|

| "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
| news:o SRNTh1HEHA.3444@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| > Meriah, check here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];822603

| > "Meriah" <mx@rhinoi.com> wrote in message
| > > I installed SP1 last night, and all my USB devices
| > > stopped
| > > working. Device manager showed no problems with the
ports
| > > and hubs. I uninstalled SP1 and everything is back to
| > > normal. Leaving it uninstalled would seem like a
perfect
| > > solution, except that I need to use Office 2003, which
| > > requires SP1. The computer is a Sony Vaio, and a very
| > > recent one, so it seems like they ought to be
compatible.

| > > I did try restarts and swearing before the uninstall,
but
| > > no luck.
| > >
| > > Suggestions?
| > >
| > > Thanks!
| > > Meriah...

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 9:38:54 PM

That worked perfectly. Thanks very much! I really
appreciate it.

Meriah...

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 11:34:18 PM

Unfortunately not for me and today's attempt has been one of several.

After plugging in the device, I get "USB device not recognized". It is
recognized under 98SE and on other machines with XP SP1 installed.

It happens the motherboard on the deviant machine has USB 1.1 support. The
alledged "malfunctioning device" will work fine on the USB 1.1 ports
although not at full speed.

I wonder if all the people who are having problems after installing SP1 on
XP also have both motherboard and PCI card USB.

!