DVD Rom and CD Rom no longer working

I've lost access to both my CDRW and DVD Rom. I know they still work and I can even boot them from BIOS but thats really all I can do.

In the Windows XP Home Device Manager I get the following error message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Of course Troubleshooting never works and I can't seem to locate an updated driver.

In System Information I get the following message: Failure using the VxD Loader.

I'm really at my wits end here. BIOS recognizes both drives and indicates no problem with them. Windows indicates it has inomplete or damaged registry values.

I've tried re-installing Windows XP with the 6 boot up 3.5" floppy disks that are supposed to give access to your CD Roms. This hasn't worked either.

Any ideas?

If you respond to me via e-mail, please address your message as CD Rom Fix. Anything else that says Microsoft is quickly deleted due to all the floating viruses using Microsofts name.
3 answers Last reply
More about longer working

    Try Microsoft Article 314060. That worked for me with
    XP.

    Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
    Run the provided registry patch

    That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
    non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
    references for your cdrom(s))

    Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
    website

    CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
    or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

    (It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    Duke wrote:
    > I've lost access to both my CDRW and DVD Rom. I know they still work
    > and I can even boot them from BIOS but thats really all I can do.
    >
    > In the Windows XP Home Device Manager I get the following error
    > message:
    >
    > Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
    > information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
    >
    > Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
    >
    > Of course Troubleshooting never works and I can't seem to locate an
    > updated driver.
    >

    > In System Information I get the following message: Failure using the
    > VxD Loader.
    >
    > I'm really at my wits end here. BIOS recognizes both drives and
    > indicates no problem with them. Windows indicates it has inomplete or
    > damaged registry values.
    >
    > I've tried re-installing Windows XP with the 6 boot up 3.5" floppy
    > disks that are supposed to give access to your CD Roms. This hasn't
    > worked either.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > If you respond to me via e-mail, please address your message as CD
    > Rom Fix. Anything else that says Microsoft is quickly deleted due to
    > all the floating viruses using Microsofts name.

    1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

    2) Open the Registry Editor:
    a) Go to Start then select Run.
    b) Type regedit and click OK.

    3) Backup you registry by:
    a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
    b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
    Registry File.
    c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
    completely.
    d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
    Click on the SAVE button.

    4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
    a) Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
    c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

    5) Restart your computer.

    Or try this:

    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
    Windows Explorer.'
    Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

    --
    <- Shenan ->

DVD Drives Windows XP