Are the files lost?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but we're desperate and microsoft is closed. My sister is working on her Ph.D dissertation and kept getting error messages while in windows. My dad was supposed to back up her dissertation but did not and he uninstalled windows XP. He tried to reinstall it but keeps getting an error message so it has not been reinstalled. Does anyone know if the files are lost when you uninstall windows?

Apparantly what happened is that he did not uninstall windows, he tried to install the XP upgrade and it's completly frozen her computer. Every time she tries to start it it takes her to the install window for XP and won't let her out. She goes through the entire install process and at the end she gets a message saying that there are files missing. She can't get omtp safe mode, can't escape out can't control/alt/del - it's completely stuck in the install mode.

I would suggest that you don't do anything else to the
computer or drive and contact a qualified professional
service, such as Driver Savers. They can recover many
documents if you have the funds. They will give free advice
and consultation. Google will find them for you, they have
web and 800 numbers.

You can get software, some is free, that can recover the
files, but you must use it properly so as not to make the
recovery impossible. The more you try to reinstall Windows
or anything else, the less likely it is that you can recover
all or a useful amount of the dissertation.

Advise your sister that daily backups to a CD-RW or CD-R,
even a floppy don't take too long and may save her a year or
two towards the PhD. What is her field?

But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.
"Amcal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but
we're desperate and microsoft is closed. My sister is
working on her Ph.D dissertation and kept getting error
messages while in windows. My dad was supposed to back up
her dissertation but did not and he uninstalled windows XP.
He tried to reinstall it but keeps getting an error message
so it has not been reinstalled. Does anyone know if the
files are lost when you uninstall windows?

Thank you for the info. She's getting her Ph.D in education - dissertation is on native spanish speakers in an english speaking educational system. I know she should have backed up- we all keep telling her that. She does have some older versions but her last chapter and a half and all the revisions would be gone. I've told her to stop doing anything until she talks to someone qualified but microsoft is closed until tomorrow or possibly monday since tomorrow is Easter. I will tell her about drive savers and I greatly appreciate the information. Thank you!

You're welcome and good luck.

Here is their web http://www.drivesavers.com/
From that page
In a Crisis and Need Help Now?
Call us at 800.440.1904, and go to Recovery Tips and
Disaster Recovery for important precautions to prevent
further data loss.

| Thank you for the info. She's getting her Ph.D in
education - dissertation is on native spanish speakers in an
english speaking educational system. I know she should have
backed up- we all keep telling her that. She does have some
older versions but her last chapter and a half and all the
revisions would be gone. I've told her to stop doing
anything until she talks to someone qualified but microsoft
is closed until tomorrow or possibly monday since tomorrow
is Easter. I will tell her about drive savers and I greatly
appreciate the information. Thank you!

Sorry the links didn't carry on the copy before.

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:%23lmOf54HEHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

http://www.drivesavers.com/recovery_tips/index.html and
http://www.drivesavers.com/disaster_recovery/index.html for
important precautions to prevent
| further data loss.
|

| "amcal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| message
| | Thank you for the info. She's getting her Ph.D in
| education - dissertation is on native spanish speakers in
an
| english speaking educational system. I know she should
have
| backed up- we all keep telling her that. She does have
some
| older versions but her last chapter and a half and all the
| revisions would be gone. I've told her to stop doing
| anything until she talks to someone qualified but
microsoft
| is closed until tomorrow or possibly monday since tomorrow
| is Easter. I will tell her about drive savers and I
greatly
| appreciate the information. Thank you!

Hi

If XP was 'uninstalled' and the hard disk/partition was not reformatted then
any data files should still be intact. How did you uninstall XP and what
Operating System is now installed? If the hard disk/partition was
reformatted then it will be very difficult to try and retrieve those
file(s).

What is the error message your dad is seeing?

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Amcal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but we're desperate and
>microsoft is closed. My sister is working on her Ph.D dissertation and
>kept getting error messages while in windows. My dad was supposed to back
>up her dissertation but did not and he uninstalled windows XP. He tried to
>reinstall it but keeps getting an error message so it has not been
>reinstalled. Does anyone know if the files are lost when you uninstall
>windows?

---

peter

There are people out there who should buy WebTV and forget computers
"Amcal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but we're desperate
and microsoft is closed. My sister is working on her Ph.D dissertation and
kept getting error messages while in windows. My dad was supposed to back
up her dissertation but did not and he uninstalled windows XP. He tried to
reinstall it but keeps getting an error message so it has not been
reinstalled. Does anyone know if the files are lost when you uninstall
windows?

>If XP was 'uninstalled' and the hard disk/partition was
not reformatted then
>any data files should still be intact. How did you
uninstall XP and what
>Operating System is now installed? If the hard
disk/partition was
>reformatted then it will be very difficult to try and
retrieve those
>file(s).

It might be possible to mount the relevant hdd as a slave
in another system and browse the files from that.

Derek

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:46:19 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"

>A bit harsh, don't you think?

Someone tries to install a new OS onto a system that's not working, in
order to fix it? Yes, that's terminally stupid, but a depressing
number of *advice-givers* here don't know that.

If the dude was sitting a PC tech examn, you could call him a fool
etc. but he isn't - so there's no reason to expect compitence
(especially as he's here asking for help, not shouting the odds as
someone claiming to have clue).

>The scenario is a common one,

That's depressing, and I blame advisers who glibly say "Just
re-install Windows, you won't lose your settings!" Now THOSE are who
I'd throw against the wall when the revolution comes :)

>"Peter" <Peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>> There are people out there who should buy WebTV and forget computers

>> "Amcal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but we're desperate
>> and microsoft is closed. My sister is working on her Ph.D dissertation
>> and kept getting error messages while in windows.

What error messages?

>> My dad was supposed to back up her dissertation but did not

Bummer #1

>and he uninstalled windows XP. He tried to reinstall it

Bummer #2

>> but keeps getting an error message so it has not been
>> reinstalled. Does anyone know if the files are lost when you uninstall
>> windows?

No, they should not be - but can be lost if:
- you used NTFS features to keep your data "secure"
- the re-installation barfed the HD contents
- you formatted the HD
- hardware defects ate your data

You are quite right to prioritize data survival above "getting Windows
running again". Your objectives should be:

1) Make sure your data is SAFE
2) Check the PC's hardware
3) Formally exclude active malware ("virus", "worm" etc.)
4) Get the system running again

You should ideally stay OUT of Windows until (4). Windows cannot run
without writing to the HD (hard drive) and is likely to run malware
embedded in it. If hardware is bad (sick HD, RAM errors) then writes
to the HD may go to the wrong place and overwrite data. If there is
malware active, it may perform malicious actions, especially if it
detects attempts to kill it while it is running.

So, best practice is to NOT run Windows again until your data is safe.

Then, now that the stakes are lower, you can test the hardware.

Once you can trust the hardware not to mess up the HD contents,
formally clean the OS.

Once you can trust the OS not to perform malicious actions against
you, you can run it to try and fix it up.

This requires a maintenance OS to access data (so you can save it off
the risky PC), to run diagnotics, and to run the antivirus scanner and
cleaner. If you are on FATxx, you can use DOS mode to host these
processes, but there's no maintenance OS for NTFS.

Take the PC to someone with clue worth paying for - unless the data's
overwritten or the file system is corrupted (or you've used NTFS
security to deliberately block access to data) it shouldn't be too
costly to copy off the data.

If you want to DIY, or a buddy needs pointers:

http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/bthink.htm - before you think;
the things to do *first* before faffing around!

www.memtest86.com and www.simmtester.com - two sites from which you
can download effective RAM diagnostics that run from boot diskettes

http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/virtest.htm - conceptually, how
to do a formal virus check so that the active malware you seek is not
alerady running when you try to detect or remove it

www.f-prot.com, www.nod32.com and www.sophos.com - three sites you can
download free or free-evaluation DOS-based antivirus apps that can be
run from a DOS mode boot diskette, if your file system is NOT NTFS

Your hard drive vendor's website, for free diagnostics to test the
hard drive for defects without "fixing" anything

Until you are certain that the hardware is OK, attempts to "just
re-install Windows" are likely to make things considerably worse, as
well as destroy your data. Do NOT EVER do that as a "first step" !!

Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.