IC7-G: Funny problem with SATA and O/C'ing

This poser was posted (by a couple of ppl) in the ABIT forums regarding a
problem with IDE /SATA drive recognition on an IC7-G:

"everytime i OC on my IC7-G, theres been problems. first, when i do, and i keep
the dram ratio to 1:1 (say i set the fsb to 215 instead of 200 on my 2.4C), it
takes about 2-3 minutes to recognize my IDE drive. and to top it all off, it
wont even recognize my main SATA drive. I unplugged the IDE and then it wont
recognize any hard drive. this is really pissing me off."

I sure don't have the problem (I've gone to 230 FSB on my board with no problem
other than uncomfortably elevated CPU temps with the stock Intel HSF, I'm
running at 215 FSB with no difficulties) and I suggested that they make sure
that they lock down the AGP/PCI freqs in SoftMenu before they O/C. I thought
I'd ask here to see if there were any other suggestions for a resolution to this
prob. Sorry, I have no other info from the original poster(s).

Kurt
3 answers Last reply
More about funny problem sata

    well, Kurt, the fix is to lock the PCI/AGP busses at 33 Mhz and then you can
    clock the system as high as your ram and CPU allow.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "Kurt" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > This poser was posted (by a couple of ppl) in the ABIT forums regarding a
    > problem with IDE /SATA drive recognition on an IC7-G:
    >
    > "everytime i OC on my IC7-G, theres been problems. first, when i do, and i
    keep
    > the dram ratio to 1:1 (say i set the fsb to 215 instead of 200 on my
    2.4C), it
    > takes about 2-3 minutes to recognize my IDE drive. and to top it all off,
    it
    > wont even recognize my main SATA drive. I unplugged the IDE and then it
    wont
    > recognize any hard drive. this is really pissing me off."
    >
    > I sure don't have the problem (I've gone to 230 FSB on my board with no
    problem
    > other than uncomfortably elevated CPU temps with the stock Intel HSF, I'm
    > running at 215 FSB with no difficulties) and I suggested that they make
    sure
    > that they lock down the AGP/PCI freqs in SoftMenu before they O/C. I
    thought
    > I'd ask here to see if there were any other suggestions for a resolution
    to this
    > prob. Sorry, I have no other info from the original poster(s).
    >
    > Kurt
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Kurt" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > This poser was posted (by a couple of ppl) in the ABIT forums \
    > regarding a problem with IDE /SATA drive recognition on an
    > IC7-G: <Snip!>

    SATA controllers (of all makes) are well known not to like running on
    non-standard PCI buses. The solution, as you've already found, and as Tom
    has already said, is to lock the accessory buses.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    That's pretty much what I suspected was the answer, thanks Tom & Richard.

    Kurt

SATA Motherboards