ABIT NF7-S - Northbridge HSF - Weird Power plug?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Greetings,

Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF, and
yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off easy.

Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I just
noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power headers
on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a *standard*
power plug on the NB-HSF.

Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug and
somehow fit it into the standard one?

Any comments?
--
Wayne ][

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
> it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF,
and
> yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
> before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off
easy.

> Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I
just
> noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power
headers
> on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a
*standard*
> power plug on the NB-HSF.
>
> Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug
and
> somehow fit it into the standard one?
>
> Any comments?
> --
> Wayne ][

could always be crude and cut both cables and twist & solder the end you
want to wires you want, then cover with insulation tape
otherwise prise it apart and reassemble with superglue
- should see some of my improvised connectors...

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

> Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I
just
> noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power
headers
> on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a
*standard*
> power plug on the NB-HSF.
>
> Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug
and
> somehow fit it into the standard one?
>
> Any comments?
> --
> Wayne ][

I was thinking of replacing the NB-fan on my nf7s with a spare Iceberq4 VGA
cooler I have, its 100% copper and seems to have the same power headers as
those on the mainboard. All it would entail is cutting off the mounts for
the vga card and a little of the as3 thermal adhesive! I want to replace my
2 x 256 PC3200 cl2 OCZ ram so I can go to a gig of ram, any suggestions that
may help me hit 220 - 230 fsb? or am i better staying 2 x 256 to hit these
speeds?

chris

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

"Chris" <karen.christiaan@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I
> just
> > noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> > thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power
> headers
> > on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a
> *standard*
> > power plug on the NB-HSF.
> >
> > Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug
> and
> > somehow fit it into the standard one?
> >
> > Any comments?
> > --
> > Wayne ][
>
> I was thinking of replacing the NB-fan on my nf7s with a spare Iceberq4
VGA
> cooler I have, its 100% copper and seems to have the same power headers as
> those on the mainboard. All it would entail is cutting off the mounts for
> the vga card and a little of the as3 thermal adhesive! I want to replace
my
> 2 x 256 PC3200 cl2 OCZ ram so I can go to a gig of ram, any suggestions
that
> may help me hit 220 - 230 fsb? or am i better staying 2 x 256 to hit these
> speeds?
>
> chris

My CL2 OCZ ram does 210 with 8-3-3-3 timings and 200 with 7-2-2-2.
Try relaxing the timings a little with ram ya have ...if not look at the
PC3500 OCZ Platnum ram if you want to keep cl2 imings at that high FSB
OZoNE

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace the
vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a week -
that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
> it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF,
and
> yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
> before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off
easy.

> Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I
just
> noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power
headers
> on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a
*standard*
> power plug on the NB-HSF.
>
> Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug
and
> somehow fit it into the standard one?
>
> Any comments?
> --
> Wayne ][

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"John Smith" wrote
> I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
> My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace
the
> vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
> computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a
week -
> that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

Hi,
that handy to know, as the standard NB-HSF is not that good. I just it off
the NF7-S and took it apart, lapped it etc and re-installed it using some
Arctic Compound. I think a passive Zalman may be a good option. . .
--
Wayne ][

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I found the passive Zalman's to work just fine on the NF7-S NB...just make
sure there's airflow through the case.

It was a relief to lose the stock Abit cooler's fan noise!