DRAM Manufacturers Ramp Up Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]vviikkrraanntt[/nom]can't they do the same thing with HDD?is there anyone who even uses DRAM?[/citation]
fail.....
all of the stuff is flooded and evrybody uses dram, phones computers etc. The very computer you are using is using dram.

builder4

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Tier 1 manufacturers cut their production volume in Q4 to halt a dramatic price decline.

How is this not collusion? Wikipedia states collusion is "an agreement among firms to divide the market, set prices, or limit production", and is this not an agreement to limit production?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know with haveing to much ram... you would think they would invest more in higher density 8gb sticks and make them the norm. drive those prices down to reasonable levels.

i have 8gb of ddr2, and cant realistically get more ram, because it would be cheaper to get a new motherboard and load that up with 16-24gb of ram than to get 16gb of ddr2... what im waiting for right now is for 8gb sticks to come to a reasonable price. im already constantly using 7.5gb+ right now, i don't even have all the programs i want open.

emperorxyz

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]builder4[/nom]How is this not collusion? Wikipedia states collusion is "an agreement among firms to divide the market, set prices, or limit production", and is this not an agreement to limit production?[/citation]

I'm guessing they didn't actually have any agreement. They each independently had their financial people tell them that there is a dramatic price decline. Heck, they can notice that themselves, we all have. Knowing that there is a price decline, they each independently decided to cut their production simply because the price they will sell might be actually lower than the cost of production, so they would take a loss on each sale and it doesn't take a genius to decide that they should cut production. The key is they each decided independently from the others without any agreement.

Anyway, that's the principle. I'm not saying they didn't have any agreement. They might have had in secret. I'm just saying that it is plausible that they each decided to cut production based on the market condition.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Sounds right now a good time to stock up on some ram chips.
But however, I am afraid of my investment getting trumped by the next gen of RAM, whatever it may be. It seems like a new gen of ram comes out every 4/5 years and DDR3 is at the 5 year mark(serious production in 2007).
Oh well, we shall see.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]emperorxyz[/nom]I'm guessing they didn't actually have any agreement. They each independently had their financial people tell them that there is a dramatic price decline. Heck, they can notice that themselves, we all have. Knowing that there is a price decline, they each independently decided to cut their production simply because the price they will sell might be actually lower than the cost of production, so they would take a loss on each sale and it doesn't take a genius to decide that they should cut production. The key is they each decided independently from the others without any agreement.Anyway, that's the principle. I'm not saying they didn't have any agreement. They might have had in secret. I'm just saying that it is plausible that they each decided to cut production based on the market condition.[/citation]

Personally, I am betting more towards the illegal collusion argument here..... seen way too many times these tech companies having 'dirty laundry' come out a few months/years after they do something like this that shows that, yep, they were colluding.

[citation][nom]Realbeast[/nom]8 Gb sticks will come down in price, but what I want to see is better speed and timings on them. Most of the stuff out now, besides being expensive, is only 1333.[/citation]

actually at the bottom, 1333 and 1600 are about the same price for 8 GB (2x4GB), at 4 GB (2x2GB), 1600 is cheaper than 1333.

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
[citation][nom]builder4[/nom]How is this not collusion? Wikipedia states collusion is "an agreement among firms to divide the market, set prices, or limit production", and is this not an agreement to limit production?[/citation]

Basic supply and demand. Too much supply, and there will be no demand. Too much demand leaves no supply. They're balancing that out to sell at a good price point. If they didn't (and proceeded to continue pumping out more and more dram that wasn't needed) they wouldn't make enough money to support the continued production of unneeded dram.

This is completely different than collusion. Collusion is if they would limit how much they produce when demand is high. IE if prices were still really high on the ddr3 stuff, and they limited production to pump it higher, that would be collusion. But if it's bottoming out to a point where it's not very profitable, it's not.

mindbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
If they were all US manufactures there would be a collusion issue but there is little in place in many countries and internationally to stop collusion. If there were, OPEC would be illegal. The best protection against collusion is to have a lot of independent producers. And that goes for any market. Once you get 20-30 producers, supply manipulations get difficult unless they have to rely on the same raw materials suppliers because keeping everyone together and honest becomes impossible just based on some agreement were there is no way to force compliance. This is how ideally a market should run...20 or more independent companies of a comparable product or service available to the consumer.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]stalker7d7[/nom]Basic supply and demand. Too much supply, and there will be no demand. Too much demand leaves no supply.[/citation]

You have the right idea, but remember that supply is not based on demand or vice versa, they are independent factors.

It should actually read: too much supply relative to demand, and there is excessive surplus of a product; too much demand, there is a shortage of that product.

Discrepancies in how much the producer is willing to produce and how much the consumer wants to consume are solved by changing the price of the product. All of this can happen without collusion.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Wake me up when most games utilise more than 4gb of ram.[/citation]
If all you do is play games buy a console, some of us edit HD video, the LEDs on my Ballistix Tracer go frikken crazy when I set a batch off

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Wake me up when most games utilise more than 4gb of ram.[/citation]

If ssds didn't help gaming would you say other pcs don't need it?

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]vviikkrraanntt[/nom]can't they do the same thing with HDD?is there anyone who even uses DRAM?[/citation]

computer illiterate?

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]zloginet[/nom]If ssds didn't help gaming would you say other pcs don't need it?[/citation]
Why the crap are people bringing up SSDs here. This is about DRAM, not NAND flash memory.

This just goes to show that the actual cost of making the RAM happens to be a lot more cheaper then we're actually paying for it. If they had let the production continue without the stop then we would have seen a further drop in the prices, which, the big players didn't want, since the profit margins fall for other companies that are also manufacturing RAM.
This is a lot like organized crime, but with a white collar. Hopefully one day these chaps will also get caught in the illegal practices rap.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]ScrewySqrl[/nom]actually at the bottom, 1333 and 1600 are about the same price for 8 GB (2x4GB), at 4 GB (2x2GB), 1600 is cheaper than 1333.[/citation]
IMHO, the other people who posted are looking for cheap prices on 8GB x 1 modules. I'm investigating a new build, and 8GB x 1 modules would be great for a 32 GB build, however, current prices for them are more than double that of a 4 GB x 2 kit, making the decision to go with 8GB x 1 modules (considering using them on an X79 board) difficult at best.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Wow, people are whining about Ram prices not being so low that the manufacturers were actually loosing money when they were sold, ram prices hit the floor last summer/fall to about where they are now (give or take $5). All that w have felt is a steady price of ram for the past 4 months. 8G single sticks are still expensive as hell, but that's part of the game as the manufacturing process for those needs to continue to mature. It's like Sony's crapshoot when it came to PS3's running the cell processors. They had problems with yields so they turned off a few cores. Though unlike that, with ram you HAVE to throw away the entire chip.

Ram Manufacturers overshot their projections, their warehouses were full of product, and no-one was buying at the current price.

Solution?

1.Sell your backstock and slow/halt production so you can clean out your backstock. Maybe use the downtime to retool your facilities as you can.

2. Don't stop production, and find yourself swimming in product. Drown.

[citation][nom]Realbeast[/nom]8 Gb sticks will come down in price, but what I want to see is better speed and timings on them. Most of the stuff out now, besides being expensive, is only 1333.[/citation]

That all depends on the country. Price fixing and collusion is likely not illegal in the areas with most of the RAM foundries.

Status
Not open for further replies.