Moving XP Pro to a new motherboard and hard drive

I'm going to change out my KT7A-Raid motherboard for a newer model that has
different features (Faster Processor & Memory, SATA Raid, USB 2.0,
Integrated Audio and NIC). It's been 17 months since I installed an OEM
version of Windows XP Pro on my current computer. If I try to install my XP
on a SATA hard drive attached to the new motherboard will Microsoft
Activation allow it? Will I have to call and speak to MS rep before I can
activate my new installation? I have read before that the Retail Version of
XP will allow you to reinstall it without any questions after 6-12 months of
the previous installation. I haven't heard the same for OEM versions of XP
Pro. (The old KT7A-R is destined to be installed in a box for my church and
they will install XP Home on it.)

I have heard that if the hardware device change count (at boot up) is
4 or more then you have to do product activation. Perhaps you can
limit the initial total changes to just those that are necessary.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

"R Hallman" <rehallman@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<10aqd4tne50hd84@corp.supernews.com>...
> I'm going to change out my KT7A-Raid motherboard for a newer model that has
> different features (Faster Processor & Memory, SATA Raid, USB 2.0,
> Integrated Audio and NIC). It's been 17 months since I installed an OEM
> version of Windows XP Pro on my current computer. If I try to install my XP
> on a SATA hard drive attached to the new motherboard will Microsoft
> Activation allow it? Will I have to call and speak to MS rep before I can
> activate my new installation? I have read before that the Retail Version of
> XP will allow you to reinstall it without any questions after 6-12 months of
> the previous installation. I haven't heard the same for OEM versions of XP
> Pro. (The old KT7A-R is destined to be installed in a box for my church and
> they will install XP Home on it.)

Check this recent article on Overclockers.com:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1155/