Weird AT7-Max keyboard behavior

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2004 4:52:29 AM

This is one of the weirder behaviors I have ever observed:

When I try to get into the BIOS setup by hitting the DEL key, I absolutely
cannot do it with the keyboard connected via my Belkin KVM switch box. (On
the other hand, I *can* get into the Highpoint BIOS by hitting Ctrl-H, so
the keyboard is working).

The same keyboard, plugged directly into the same usb port on the
motherboard has no problem at all getting to the BIOS.

There is no weird "F-Lock" key on this keyboard.

The DEL key works flawlessly in Windows.

I don't know of any reasons for there to be any kind of electrical
differences between the BIOS reading keystrokes and Windows reading
keystrokes from the USB port. In fact, I can't imagine how the KVM switch
could know I'm talking to the BIOS and not Windows or how the BIOS could
know it is talking via a KVM switch, not directly to keyboard.

So how does it manage to act so different? Anyonw have any clues?
Anyone observed the same behavior? Just curious.

(Now that I understand the problem, I can whip out a second keyboard
any plug it into one of the front USB ports when I need to get into
the BIOS, but it took me a log time to figure out what to try :-).
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/&gt; >>==+
email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley&gt; Free Software and Politics <<==+
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2004 3:36:01 PM

Thomas A. Horsley wrote:
> This is one of the weirder behaviors I have ever observed:
>
> When I try to get into the BIOS setup by hitting the DEL key, I
> absolutely cannot do it with the keyboard connected via my Belkin KVM
> switch box. (On the other hand, I *can* get into the Highpoint BIOS
> by hitting Ctrl-H, so the keyboard is working).

On an AT7 I have had problems with a Keytronics keyboard connected to USB
ports. The only way I can get it ti work is by connecting to my monitor's
built-in USB and then connecting my monitor's USB switch to a USB port on my
mobo. I wonder if this is a problem with my Keytronics keyboard.
!