BIOS Update? If Y; before or after XP installation?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

QUESTION:
I am moving from ME to XP in the next 1-2 days. A friend
suggested I might consider updating my HP BIOS because of
the problems I've been having in the last 2-3 weeks with
crashes / slow performance / general intermitant
problems. If I do this should it be done, before or after
the XP installation?

Thanks.

James
Burbank, CA

BACKGROUND:
About 3 weeks ago, after installing more RAM in my HP
pavilion 7970 (now I have 640 MB), I reformatted my HD and
reinstalled my applications. Things seemed to run fine
and faster, until I reinstalled my AOL software version 8
(said friend, said it was actually AOL 8.5 after I started
to see an ONSLAUGHT of POP ups never before seen with
version 8.0).

As my computer performance continued to slow and bog down
with background running programs ("super savings from
Ebates" etc), I used the sys conf utility to stop these
programs from coming on at start up, deleted some of them,
changed other things in my startup proces. After a couple
weeks of this, I've lost track of all the things I've
done/that have happened. Including crashes where I was
unable to get the machine to start in anything but safe
mode. It wouldn't start up from a start up disk either.

All I know is that now, one daily use ap won't open,
others are slow, system resources are 20-30% free with no
progrmas open and sometime 10% free with 1-2 programs open.

So, I want to "start over" basically: Do a clean install
with XP ("a more stable OS") and use some other internet
access provider.

Greetings --

Consult the manufacturer of the motherboard to see if a BIOS
update will either address the issues you're already having, or
provide better WinXP-compatibility. Updating one's BIOS just because
an acquaintance says so really isn't a particularly good reason.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Bruce Chambers