Bulletproof 800MHz. Does it exist?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 21, 2004 6:40:06 AM

Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system that
doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually work
consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific mobo/memory
recommendations.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2004 3:45:49 PM

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system
> that doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually
> work consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific
> mobo/memory recommendations.

Er, are you talking about Intel or AMD solutions there? If the former, I
don't know where you got the idea that praying would be necessary. The
800FSB P4's together with an 800 capable board, plus PC3200 or better,
should produce a stable system 99 times out of 100.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2004 4:11:10 PM

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2h613mF9bbfmU1@uni-berlin.de:

> Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system that
> doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually work
> consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific mobo/memory
> recommendations.
>
> Thanks.

I've got a 800MHz system running stable (other than some other hardware
problems). I'm using PC2700 in it and haven't ran into anything major.
I'm not sure who the mobo is, it's an off the shelf system and I didn't
notice any vendor specifc markings.
Related resources
May 21, 2004 10:25:22 PM

I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system that
> doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually work
> consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific mobo/memory
> recommendations.
>
> Thanks.

May 21, 2004 10:25:23 PM

Thanks. Which video card and hard drive(s) are you using?

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message news:rlvrc.49858$pJ1.4338@lakeread02...
> I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
> 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system that
> > doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually work
> > consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific mobo/memory
> > recommendations.
> >
> > Thanks.

May 22, 2004 11:54:47 AM

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
> 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system that
> > doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually work
> > consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific mobo/memory
> > recommendations.
> >
> > Thanks.

Tom, I'm thinking about the following upgrade to my "old" BD-7II R setup:
Abit IS7-E2; P4 2.8C; Corsair Value_Select Dual 1GB; and two WD1200JD SATA
drives. Does this sound ok? Anything else I need? TIA,

Ron
May 22, 2004 1:08:38 PM

using a PNY VERTO GeForce FX5900 Ultra with 60.72 leaked drivers currently.
hard drives are 2 Maxtor 120 Gb SATA 7200 RPM w/8 mb cache in a raid 0 array
on the Intel ICH5R SATA controller along with another Maxtor 120 Gb PATA on
a Serillel-2 adaptor on the SI SATA controller and then a couple of SCSI
drives on an Adaptec 29160 PCI controller.

--

> Thanks. Which video card and hard drive(s) are you using?
>
> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
> > 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
> >

> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system that
> > > doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually work
> > > consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific mobo/memory
> > > recommendations.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

May 22, 2004 1:14:50 PM

looks like a decent enough board but my choice would still be the IC7-G with
4 SATA channels while still maintaining the dual PATA channels. whatever
money you save by getting that IS7-E2 over an IC7-G (if any) put into
getting the fastest ram you can afford. Corsair is good on these boards and
I would go as fast as I could. if you plan to overclock, then being able to
keep a 1:1 ram ratio will go that much farther towards keeping the bandwidth
high.

--

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
> > 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
> >

> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > Could someone please recommend a 800MHz FSB system that
> > > doesn't require a substantial amount of praying to actually work
> > > consistently at 800MHz? Looking for specific mobo/memory
> > > recommendations.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> Tom, I'm thinking about the following upgrade to my "old" BD-7II R setup:
> Abit IS7-E2; P4 2.8C; Corsair Value_Select Dual 1GB; and two WD1200JD SATA
> drives. Does this sound ok? Anything else I need? TIA,
>
> Ron

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2004 2:49:15 PM

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
> 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.

Same board with a 3.2c CPU, and corsair xms3700 CAS 2 at 5:4 with FSB at 238
giving me 3.8 gig on the cpu, read your post below asking for drives and gfx
card, on the IC7-G it's immaterial since those buses can be locked at 66/33
despite the fsb speed, however, mine is a 9800xt and drives are sata raid 0
and are Seagate Barracuda VII 7200RPM 80GB Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2004 4:41:19 PM

In message <40af2204$0$4588$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>, Dion L Heap
<NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> writes
>> I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
>> 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.
>
>Same board with a 3.2c CPU, and corsair xms3700 CAS 2 at 5:4 with FSB at 238
>giving me 3.8 gig on the cpu, read your post below asking for drives and gfx
>card, on the IC7-G it's immaterial since those buses can be locked at 66/33
>despite the fsb speed, however, mine is a 9800xt and drives are sata raid 0
>and are Seagate Barracuda VII 7200RPM 80GB Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache.

And as a 'me too' ... with a couple of hopefully valid points (and
questions)

Abit IS7-G running
Radeon 9700 AIW pro
1GB (512*2) PC3200 RAM.

Was using twinmos. System was very stable at the stock 2.4GHz (800MHz HT
chip) but for some strange reason I couldn't really overclock it at all
(even with locking everything and lowering the RAM ratio so this wasn't
overclocked).
However I had to shuffle some components around recently, and swapped to
some pretty ordinary Geil RAM - all of a sudden, its doing 3GHz 24/7
with ease. Very strange, and I still don't understand why - anyone??

Lastly, The only instability on this board was to do with the two maxtor
120GB drives in a SATA RAID0 config.
These were PATA drives with Abit convertors on.
We used to get the occasional blue screen. Having swapped over to 2 *
160 GB proper SATA drives and moved the original drives to another
machine, I'm pretty sure now that the crashing was due to not having an
updated SATA controller BIOS _AND_ (that's in capitals for a reason!!)
having a matching version number windows driver.

Machines rock solid now.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
May 22, 2004 4:41:20 PM

only comment I can have regarding the ram is that the 875 and 865 chipset
series boards seem to be *real* picky on the ram. any instability in that
area seems to show right quick.

--

"Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <40af2204$0$4588$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>, Dion L Heap
> <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> writes
> >> I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram
at
> >> 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.
> >
> >Same board with a 3.2c CPU, and corsair xms3700 CAS 2 at 5:4 with FSB at
238
> >giving me 3.8 gig on the cpu, read your post below asking for drives and
gfx
> >card, on the IC7-G it's immaterial since those buses can be locked at
66/33
> >despite the fsb speed, however, mine is a 9800xt and drives are sata raid
0
> >and are Seagate Barracuda VII 7200RPM 80GB Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache.
>
> And as a 'me too' ... with a couple of hopefully valid points (and
> questions)
>
> Abit IS7-G running
> Radeon 9700 AIW pro
> 1GB (512*2) PC3200 RAM.
>
> Was using twinmos. System was very stable at the stock 2.4GHz (800MHz HT
> chip) but for some strange reason I couldn't really overclock it at all
> (even with locking everything and lowering the RAM ratio so this wasn't
> overclocked).
> However I had to shuffle some components around recently, and swapped to
> some pretty ordinary Geil RAM - all of a sudden, its doing 3GHz 24/7
> with ease. Very strange, and I still don't understand why - anyone??
>
> Lastly, The only instability on this board was to do with the two maxtor
> 120GB drives in a SATA RAID0 config.
> These were PATA drives with Abit convertors on.
> We used to get the occasional blue screen. Having swapped over to 2 *
> 160 GB proper SATA drives and moved the original drives to another
> machine, I'm pretty sure now that the crashing was due to not having an
> updated SATA controller BIOS _AND_ (that's in capitals for a reason!!)
> having a matching version number windows driver.
>
> Machines rock solid now.

> Personal email for Gareth Jones can be sent to:
> 'usenet4gareth' followed by an at symbol
> followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
> followed by 'net'
May 22, 2004 6:53:55 PM

> looks like a decent enough board but my choice would still be the IC7-G
with
> 4 SATA channels while still maintaining the dual PATA channels. whatever
> money you save by getting that IS7-E2 over an IC7-G (if any) put into
> getting the fastest ram you can afford. Corsair is good on these boards
and
> I would go as fast as I could. if you plan to overclock, then being able
> keep a 1:1 ram ratio will go that much farther towards keeping the
bandwidth
> high.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^

As always, thanks Tom, for pointing me in the right direction. Question
though about the mainboard and CPU. Would I be better off with the Prescott
with SSE 3 MM instruction set given I do a lot of video editing as opposed
to just the NW with SSE2? Or is the diff here negligible? Also, I'm aware
that the 2.8C is a monster OC'er and that's be great for gaming, but would I
reap more benefit from a higher cpu for the video editing that I do? I
guess I'm asking whether I'd see that much more of a speed/time bang for the
$$$ in going for a A/V editing oriented type of mobo/cpu setup rather than a
gamer's OC type? I do like occasional gaming and I'm not shy with oc'ing.
thanks again,

Ron
May 22, 2004 7:01:13 PM

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> looks like a decent enough board but my choice would still be the IC7-G
with
> 4 SATA channels while still maintaining the dual PATA channels. whatever
> money you save by getting that IS7-E2 over an IC7-G (if any) put into
> getting the fastest ram you can afford. Corsair is good on these boards
and
> I would go as fast as I could. if you plan to overclock, then being able
> keep a 1:1 ram ratio will go that much farther towards keeping the
bandwidth
> high.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^

Also, I forgot to ask. Which IC7? Max II or 3?

Ron
May 22, 2004 9:15:33 PM

I would personally stay away from Prescott at this time. they tend to run
warm and there does not seem to be any tangible benefits over something like
a 2.8c...

--

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > looks like a decent enough board but my choice would still be the IC7-G
> with
> > 4 SATA channels while still maintaining the dual PATA channels.
whatever
> > money you save by getting that IS7-E2 over an IC7-G (if any) put into
> > getting the fastest ram you can afford. Corsair is good on these boards
> and
> > I would go as fast as I could. if you plan to overclock, then being
able
> > keep a 1:1 ram ratio will go that much farther towards keeping the
> bandwidth
> > high.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
>
> As always, thanks Tom, for pointing me in the right direction. Question
> though about the mainboard and CPU. Would I be better off with the
Prescott
> with SSE 3 MM instruction set given I do a lot of video editing as opposed
> to just the NW with SSE2? Or is the diff here negligible? Also, I'm aware
> that the 2.8C is a monster OC'er and that's be great for gaming, but would
> reap more benefit from a higher cpu for the video editing that I do? I
> guess I'm asking whether I'd see that much more of a speed/time bang for
the
> $$$ in going for a A/V editing oriented type of mobo/cpu setup rather than
> gamer's OC type? I do like occasional gaming and I'm not shy with oc'ing.
> thanks again,
>
> Ron

May 22, 2004 9:18:19 PM

well, if you had a real need for extra SATA channels then the IC7-MAX3
otherwise, the G. didn't see the MAX2 currently on the Abit USA site...

--

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > looks like a decent enough board but my choice would still be the IC7-G
> with
> > 4 SATA channels while still maintaining the dual PATA channels.
whatever
> > money you save by getting that IS7-E2 over an IC7-G (if any) put into
> > getting the fastest ram you can afford. Corsair is good on these boards
> and
> > I would go as fast as I could. if you plan to overclock, then being
able
> > keep a 1:1 ram ratio will go that much farther towards keeping the
> bandwidth
> > high.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
> >

> Also, I forgot to ask. Which IC7? Max II or 3?
>
> Ron

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2004 9:56:52 PM

"TomG" wrote
> I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
> 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.

Hi TomG,
wanted to ask you a bit about your rig. Did you do any moddin' or re-seat
the northbridge on your board? also what case and cooling do you have?
--
Wayne ][
May 22, 2004 9:56:53 PM

I have the original NB cooler... it has never been dismounted. waiting for
the thing to start making noise as the IS7-G that I got at the same time
already had to have the NB cooler replaced. I have a spare NB cooler lined
up. no mods to the board.

running a generic full tower case with an Antec TruePower True480 PSU and I
have two fans in the back in addition to the PSU blowing out and two fans in
the front blowing in. one of the fans is lined up with the drive bay. case
typically runs at 32 to 33 C but can warm up some when things get cranking.
I have the Zalman CNPS7000CU cooler and the PWM temps dropped from
essentially tracking right at CPU temperatures to a range of 37 to 45 C
since installing the Zalman cooler. the thing is just so big that it cools
the devices around it as well as the CPU and that is even with fan speed
control (FanEQ) enabled and set to 60%.

--

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "TomG" wrote
> > I'm running an IC7-G with an 800 Mhz 2.8c CPU and Corsair XMS4400 ram at
> > 1:1. no issues and I am currently running the fsb at 247 stable.
>

> Hi TomG,
> wanted to ask you a bit about your rig. Did you do any moddin' or re-seat
> the northbridge on your board? also what case and cooling do you have?
> --
> Wayne ][

May 22, 2004 10:27:59 PM

> well, if you had a real need for extra SATA channels then the IC7-MAX3
> otherwise, the G. didn't see the MAX2 currently on the Abit USA site...
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified

Well, maybe it's listed incorrectly at NewEgg. They have it as the MaxII(
Roman numerals) Advance as well as the Max 3. To be honest, I don't see much
of a difference between the two for the extra $50 they're charging for the
Max 3 except that maybe it's because the Max 3 doesn't support the
Northwoods. Could you check this out and give me your opinion?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa...

If you scroll down, you'll see they have the Max II "Advance" listed right
above the Max 3. The former for $135 and the latter for $182.

Ron
May 23, 2004 12:35:49 PM

first and foremost, the MAX3 *does* support Northwood. NewEgg just left
that info off the page in their effort to emphasize that the board supports
Prescott. It is a socket 478 board and is of the same chipset as the other
IC7's. The IC7-G MaxII Advance looks exactly like the IC7-G board that I
have so it looks like a marketing thing to add the MaxII Advance onto the
name.

if you don't have a strong need for extra SATA channels provided by the
Max3, then I would be quite happy with the MaxII Advance.

--

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > well, if you had a real need for extra SATA channels then the IC7-MAX3
> > otherwise, the G. didn't see the MAX2 currently on the Abit USA site...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
>
> Well, maybe it's listed incorrectly at NewEgg. They have it as the MaxII(
> Roman numerals) Advance as well as the Max 3. To be honest, I don't see
much
> of a difference between the two for the extra $50 they're charging for the
> Max 3 except that maybe it's because the Max 3 doesn't support the
> Northwoods. Could you check this out and give me your opinion?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa...

> If you scroll down, you'll see they have the Max II "Advance" listed right
> above the Max 3. The former for $135 and the latter for $182.
>
> Ron

May 23, 2004 8:45:21 PM

> first and foremost, the MAX3 *does* support Northwood. NewEgg just left
> that info off the page in their effort to emphasize that the board
supports
> Prescott. It is a socket 478 board and is of the same chipset as the
other
> IC7's. The IC7-G MaxII Advance looks exactly like the IC7-G board that I
> have so it looks like a marketing thing to add the MaxII Advance onto the
> name.
>
> if you don't have a strong need for extra SATA channels provided by the
> Max3, then I would be quite happy with the MaxII Advance.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > well, if you had a real need for extra SATA channels then the IC7-MAX3
> > > otherwise, the G. didn't see the MAX2 currently on the Abit USA
site...

> > > --
> > >
> > > Thomas Geery
> > > Network+ certified
> >
> > Well, maybe it's listed incorrectly at NewEgg. They have it as the
MaxII(
> > Roman numerals) Advance as well as the Max 3. To be honest, I don't see
> much
> > of a difference between the two for the extra $50 they're charging for
the
> > Max 3 except that maybe it's because the Max 3 doesn't support the
> > Northwoods. Could you check this out and give me your opinion?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa...

> > If you scroll down, you'll see they have the Max II "Advance" listed
right
> > above the Max 3. The former for $135 and the latter for $182.
> >
> > Ron

Thank you sir Thomas...: )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2004 4:18:21 AM

"TomG" wrote in message...
> The IC7-G MaxII Advance looks exactly like the IC7-G board that
> I have so it looks like a marketing thing to add the MaxII Advance
> onto the name.

Lol, it is a "marketing thing" Tom, but the IC7-G has *always* been called
the "IC7-G Max II Advance". It's just that most of us, unsurprisingly, don't
use its full name all the time. ;-)

> if you don't have a strong need for extra SATA channels provided
> by the Max3, then I would be quite happy with the MaxII Advance.

The IC7-G and IC7-Max 3 are virtually identical boards, all the major
components are the same. I'd prioritise it a slightly different way though:
If you don't need the IC7-G's serial and parallel ports, the IC7 Max 3 is a
slightly (and I mean *very* slightly) better long-term buy.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

May 24, 2004 10:50:49 AM

my pleasure!

--

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > first and foremost, the MAX3 *does* support Northwood. NewEgg just left
> > that info off the page in their effort to emphasize that the board
> supports
> > Prescott. It is a socket 478 board and is of the same chipset as the
> other
> > IC7's. The IC7-G MaxII Advance looks exactly like the IC7-G board that
> > have so it looks like a marketing thing to add the MaxII Advance onto
the
> > name.
> >
> > if you don't have a strong need for extra SATA channels provided by the
> > Max3, then I would be quite happy with the MaxII Advance.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
> >

> > "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
IC7-MAX3
> site...

> > > Well, maybe it's listed incorrectly at NewEgg. They have it as the
> MaxII(
> > > Roman numerals) Advance as well as the Max 3. To be honest, I don't
see
> > much
> > > of a difference between the two for the extra $50 they're charging for
> the
> > > Max 3 except that maybe it's because the Max 3 doesn't support the
> > > Northwoods. Could you check this out and give me your opinion?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa...

> > > If you scroll down, you'll see they have the Max II "Advance" listed
> right
> > > above the Max 3. The former for $135 and the latter for $182.
> > >
> > > Ron
> > >

> Thank you sir Thomas...: )

May 24, 2004 10:52:18 AM

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote in message
> "TomG" wrote in message...
> > The IC7-G MaxII Advance looks exactly like the IC7-G board that
> > I have so it looks like a marketing thing to add the MaxII Advance
> > onto the name.
>
> Lol, it is a "marketing thing" Tom, but the IC7-G has *always* been called
> the "IC7-G Max II Advance". It's just that most of us, unsurprisingly,
don't
> use its full name all the time. ;-)
>
> > if you don't have a strong need for extra SATA channels provided
> > by the Max3, then I would be quite happy with the MaxII Advance.
>
> The IC7-G and IC7-Max 3 are virtually identical boards, all the major
> components are the same. I'd prioritise it a slightly different way
though:
> If you don't need the IC7-G's serial and parallel ports, the IC7 Max 3 is
> slightly (and I mean *very* slightly) better long-term buy.
> --

doesn't the MAX3 have some additional SI SATA channels onboard over the
IC7-G?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2004 6:47:29 PM

Dang that's a lot of disks...

What, do you ping-pong files from one raid array to the other when
decompressing/duplicating files?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:08:38 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
wrote:

>using a PNY VERTO GeForce FX5900 Ultra with 60.72 leaked drivers currently.
>hard drives are 2 Maxtor 120 Gb SATA 7200 RPM w/8 mb cache in a raid 0 array
>on the Intel ICH5R SATA controller along with another Maxtor 120 Gb PATA on
>a Serillel-2 adaptor on the SI SATA controller and then a couple of SCSI
>drives on an Adaptec 29160 PCI controller.
May 24, 2004 8:38:49 PM

I do use them for a little of the decompressing large RAR sets from one
drive to another every once in a while... I have a lot of disks that are
carryovers from the days when 4 gig was a big drive and to get more
capacity, I had a lot of 2 and 4 gig drives. they are good quality SCSI
drives and have not bought the farm (yet) so I keep them around...

--

"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
news:p 6k4b0pb2mqb6m39rqrroseb0f00fji7u5@4ax.com...
> Dang that's a lot of disks...
>
> What, do you ping-pong files from one raid array to the other when
> decompressing/duplicating files?
>
> Forrest
>
> Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
> http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/
>

> On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:08:38 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >using a PNY VERTO GeForce FX5900 Ultra with 60.72 leaked drivers
currently.
> >hard drives are 2 Maxtor 120 Gb SATA 7200 RPM w/8 mb cache in a raid 0
array
> >on the Intel ICH5R SATA controller along with another Maxtor 120 Gb PATA
on
> >a Serillel-2 adaptor on the SI SATA controller and then a couple of SCSI
> >drives on an Adaptec 29160 PCI controller.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2004 3:45:46 AM

> doesn't the MAX3 have some additional SI SATA channels onboard
> over the IC7-G?

Yeah, it has the SI3114 four channel chip, instead of the 3112 two channel
chip found on the IC7-G. That, and the OTES cooling system is the basis for
my comment about the IC7 Max 3 offering very slightly more future-proofing
than the IC7-G.

Incidentally, the Max3 comes packaged with a SecureIDE encryption interface.
Ironically though, it is a parallel ATA device and can't be run through a
Serillel. Kinda defeats the object of having it, don'tcha think?! :-)
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

May 26, 2004 9:08:07 PM

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > doesn't the MAX3 have some additional SI SATA channels onboard
> > over the IC7-G?
>
> Yeah, it has the SI3114 four channel chip, instead of the 3112 two channel
> chip found on the IC7-G. That, and the OTES cooling system is the basis
for
> my comment about the IC7 Max 3 offering very slightly more future-proofing
> than the IC7-G.
>
> Incidentally, the Max3 comes packaged with a SecureIDE encryption
interface.
> Ironically though, it is a parallel ATA device and can't be run through a
> Serillel. Kinda defeats the object of having it, don'tcha think?! :-)
> --

yup! would defeat the purpose for me!

--

!