Jim

Which is more secure when using WEP, Open or Shared Key?
I don't want to get into the whole WPA and WPA-PSK is better, I know they
are but I am asking about WEP.

Thanks
Jim

it matters really nowt,
WEP 'can' be brocken, but it is a lot more difficult and probably worthless
for someone to do it on a personnal account, little info to gain or gather.

if you are asking about this from a security side, in the matter of
preventing say connections etc because you systems details etc can be
'overheard', why not just set the router to only listed mac's.

mike

"Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
> Which is more secure when using WEP, Open or Shared Key?
> I don't want to get into the whole WPA and WPA-PSK is better, I know they
> are but I am asking about WEP.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

---

Niklas

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

from a cisco page...

open is recommended

Shared key
"This setting tells the Access Point to send a plain-text, Shared Key query
to any device attempting to associate with the Access Point. This query can
leave the Access Point open to a known-text attack from intruders.
Therefore, it is not as secure as the Open setting."

regards
Niklas

"Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
> Which is more secure when using WEP, Open or Shared Key?
> I don't want to get into the whole WPA and WPA-PSK is better, I know they
> are but I am asking about WEP.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

Jim

Thanks for the very helpful advise. I am now running WEP open

Jim
"Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
> Which is more secure when using WEP, Open or Shared Key?
> I don't want to get into the whole WPA and WPA-PSK is better, I know they
> are but I am asking about WEP.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

TRENDING THREADS