Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

installing Windows XP - keyboard (PS2) not responding

Tags:
  • PlayStation
  • Keyboards
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 11, 2004 11:13:26 PM

I am installing Windows XP home. They PS2 keyboard works
fine until I get to the point where I enter the cd key.
At that point.... nothing I type appears on the screen. I
have done the following already.

1. formatted HD and done a fresh install
2. tried 3 PS 2 keyboards
3. done the obvious like trying with upper/lower case etc.

Any ideas? I am going to get a USB keyboard tomorrow to
try.

More about : installing windows keyboard ps2 responding

April 12, 2004 3:21:03 AM

Is this a clean installation or upgrade?

You may just find that a USB device will not work until Windows is set-up and the USB hubs and their drivers are installed. This happens way past the CD-Key entry during installation.

Have you tried inspecting the port into which you have plugged the keyboard? Sometimes it has been known to find it plugged into a mouse port.

In certain instances, there have been known failures on motherboards for the resistors on the keyboard port. Thus making keystroke input useless. MSI had a few problems with one of their series.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 6:42:41 AM

Dan, where did you get your WinXPCD?
"dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am installing Windows XP home. They PS2 keyboard works
> fine until I get to the point where I enter the cd key.
> At that point.... nothing I type appears on the screen. I
> have done the following already.
>
> 1. formatted HD and done a fresh install
> 2. tried 3 PS 2 keyboards
> 3. done the obvious like trying with upper/lower case etc.
>
> Any ideas? I am going to get a USB keyboard tomorrow to
> try.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 7:43:20 PM

"BAR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is this a clean installation or upgrade?
>
> You may just find that a USB device will not work until Windows is set-up
> and the USB hubs and their drivers are installed. This happens way past
> the CD-Key entry during installation.
>
> Have you tried inspecting the port into which you have plugged the
> keyboard? Sometimes it has been known to find it plugged into a mouse
> port.
>
> In certain instances, there have been known failures on motherboards for
> the resistors on the keyboard port. Thus making keystroke input useless.
> MSI had a few problems with one of their series.

Sounds like your PS2 keyboard socket may be shot.