installing Windows XP - keyboard (PS2) not responding

I am installing Windows XP home. They PS2 keyboard works
fine until I get to the point where I enter the cd key.
At that point.... nothing I type appears on the screen. I
have done the following already.

1. formatted HD and done a fresh install
2. tried 3 PS 2 keyboards
3. done the obvious like trying with upper/lower case etc.

Any ideas? I am going to get a USB keyboard tomorrow to
try.
3 answers Last reply
More about installing windows keyboard responding

    Is this a clean installation or upgrade?

    You may just find that a USB device will not work until Windows is set-up and the USB hubs and their drivers are installed. This happens way past the CD-Key entry during installation.

    Have you tried inspecting the port into which you have plugged the keyboard? Sometimes it has been known to find it plugged into a mouse port.

    In certain instances, there have been known failures on motherboards for the resistors on the keyboard port. Thus making keystroke input useless. MSI had a few problems with one of their series.

    Dan, where did you get your WinXPCD?

    "BAR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is this a clean installation or upgrade?
    >
    > You may just find that a USB device will not work until Windows is set-up
    > and the USB hubs and their drivers are installed. This happens way past
    > the CD-Key entry during installation.
    >
    > Have you tried inspecting the port into which you have plugged the
    > keyboard? Sometimes it has been known to find it plugged into a mouse
    > port.
    >
    > In certain instances, there have been known failures on motherboards for
    > the resistors on the keyboard port. Thus making keystroke input useless.
    > MSI had a few problems with one of their series.

    Sounds like your PS2 keyboard socket may be shot.

PlayStation Keyboards Windows XP