D: drive wiped out HELP !!!!!

OK, for no apparent reason, xp took it upon itself to reset (or something)
my secondary hard drive (slave drive.) It is no longer shown in Windows
Explorer or My Computer!

Disk Management shows the disk as "Heathy and Active" but shows no volume
information, as though xp re-partitioned the drive.

Originaly, the drive had a ntfs partition and was full of nearly 2 years
worth of extremely critical data.

The machine was connected to the internet only briefly in order to download
all the critical updates and was then disconnected completely from internet
access. There's little chance that this is caused by a virus. Plus,
firewall and av was running during update process.

I've experience no problems, whatsoever, with this machine, except for this
problem.

I've seen other posts here where the same error has ocurred on extended
partitions, but have not seen a reply to the problem.

I've searched the MS knowledge base extensively to no avail.

PLEASE, ANYONE, POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!! AT LEAST LET ME KNOW HOW I
CAN GET MY DATA BACK!!

Signed,
Irate in Baltimore
2 answers Last reply
More about drive wiped

    Suggest you call the Drive Savers www.drivesavers.com

    They are the experts and they offer free advice.

    Do your fix correctly and you should get your data back, do
    it wrong and you might just lose it for good (evil).

    "spooderstank" <spooderstank1@somewhere.net> wrote in
    message news:CAqec.22471$hd3.20522@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
    | OK, for no apparent reason, xp took it upon itself to
    reset (or something)
    | my secondary hard drive (slave drive.) It is no longer
    shown in Windows
    | Explorer or My Computer!
    |
    | Disk Management shows the disk as "Heathy and Active" but
    shows no volume
    | information, as though xp re-partitioned the drive.
    |
    | Originaly, the drive had a ntfs partition and was full of
    nearly 2 years
    | worth of extremely critical data.
    |
    | The machine was connected to the internet only briefly in
    order to download
    | all the critical updates and was then disconnected
    completely from internet
    | access. There's little chance that this is caused by a
    virus. Plus,
    | firewall and av was running during update process.
    |
    | I've experience no problems, whatsoever, with this
    machine, except for this
    | problem.
    |
    | I've seen other posts here where the same error has
    ocurred on extended
    | partitions, but have not seen a reply to the problem.
    |
    | I've searched the MS knowledge base extensively to no
    avail.

    | PLEASE, ANYONE, POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!! AT LEAST
    LET ME KNOW HOW I
    | CAN GET MY DATA BACK!!
    |
    | Signed,
    | Irate in Baltimore

    "spooderstank" <spooderstank1@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > OK, for no apparent reason, xp took it upon itself to reset (or
    something)
    > my secondary hard drive (slave drive.) It is no longer shown in Windows
    > Explorer or My Computer!
    >
    > Disk Management shows the disk as "Heathy and Active" but shows no volume
    > information, as though xp re-partitioned the drive.
    >
    > Originaly, the drive had a ntfs partition and was full of nearly 2 years
    > worth of extremely critical data.
    >
    > The machine was connected to the internet only briefly in order to
    download
    > all the critical updates and was then disconnected completely from
    internet
    > access. There's little chance that this is caused by a virus. Plus,
    > firewall and av was running during update process.
    >
    > I've experience no problems, whatsoever, with this machine, except for
    this
    > problem.
    >
    > I've seen other posts here where the same error has ocurred on extended
    > partitions, but have not seen a reply to the problem.
    >
    > I've searched the MS knowledge base extensively to no avail.
    >
    > PLEASE, ANYONE, POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!! AT LEAST LET ME KNOW HOW
    > CAN GET MY DATA BACK!!
    >
    > Signed,
    > Irate in Baltimore

    I have successfully recovered several deleted partitions
    with Acronis' RecoveryExpert.

    After you've got this little problem sorted out, move out
    of the "irate" mood (your word) into the pro-active mood,
    and review your backup strategy.

Windows XP