Wireless vs SP2

I see there are many posts concerning this subject. I am using all Netgear...
Router, adapters... The machine I am concerned with is running XP Home. I
have The Netgear WG121 USB adapter plugged into it..... I put SP2 on this
computer just after getting the network up and running..... about a month
ago. Now. yesterday, I got on that computer to find no connection. I double
clicked on the "Configuration Wizard" icon on my desktop and it came up
briefly and disappeared. I then proceded to uninstall the software and
re-installed according to the directions. Still, the same thing.... I went to
the Netgear website and there I found that I should go into "Add/Remove
Programs" and see if Microsoft Hotfix Q815485 is listed. Well, there is no
list of all the Hot fixes as there was before I installed SP2. So, I then
wentr to "Search" for Q815485. there came up 33 hits. only four referred
directly to this number tho. Can I remove just this Hotfix without removing
all of SP2 ? OR, should I remove all of SP2 until they get rid of the
glitches ????
Is there some way around this so I can get this machine back online ? My
son uses it for homework projects.
If more information is needed I will provide it.

Rich

tanya

I doubt that is the problem. Maybe your card is dead. Remove it and reboot
without it and the software on the machine. Make sure it isn't showing up as
a ghost install in Device Manager. Either show hidden files or go into
safemode and check device manager for it. Remove or disable the drivers.
Shutdown.Then reinstall the card. Got to cmd and type ipconfig /all what
is the default gateway? Lots of things to check before you wipe SP2 for some
hardware glitch.
"Rich Kelly" <Rich Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I see there are many posts concerning this subject. I am using all
>Netgear...
> Router, adapters... The machine I am concerned with is running XP Home. I
> have The Netgear WG121 USB adapter plugged into it..... I put SP2 on this
> computer just after getting the network up and running..... about a month
> ago. Now. yesterday, I got on that computer to find no connection. I
> double
> clicked on the "Configuration Wizard" icon on my desktop and it came up
> briefly and disappeared. I then proceded to uninstall the software and
> re-installed according to the directions. Still, the same thing.... I went
> the Netgear website and there I found that I should go into "Add/Remove
> Programs" and see if Microsoft Hotfix Q815485 is listed. Well, there is no
> list of all the Hot fixes as there was before I installed SP2. So, I then
> wentr to "Search" for Q815485. there came up 33 hits. only four referred
> directly to this number tho. Can I remove just this Hotfix without
> removing
> all of SP2 ? OR, should I remove all of SP2 until they get rid of the
> glitches ????
> Is there some way around this so I can get this machine back online ? My
> son uses it for homework projects.
> If more information is needed I will provide it.
>
> Rich

Tanya; As I stated in my previous post, I am using an adapter plugged into a
USB port. Therefore, there is no card to remove and re-install. I do have a
third machine with a wireless card but that one is working fine...with SP1.

Rich

"Tanya" wrote:

> I doubt that is the problem. Maybe your card is dead. Remove it and reboot
> without it and the software on the machine. Make sure it isn't showing up as
> a ghost install in Device Manager. Either show hidden files or go into
> safemode and check device manager for it. Remove or disable the drivers.
> Shutdown.Then reinstall the card. Got to cmd and type ipconfig /all what
> is the default gateway? Lots of things to check before you wipe SP2 for some
> hardware glitch.
> "Rich Kelly" <Rich Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I see there are many posts concerning this subject. I am using all
> >Netgear...
> > Router, adapters... The machine I am concerned with is running XP Home. I
> > have The Netgear WG121 USB adapter plugged into it..... I put SP2 on this
> > computer just after getting the network up and running..... about a month
> > ago. Now. yesterday, I got on that computer to find no connection. I
> > double
> > clicked on the "Configuration Wizard" icon on my desktop and it came up
> > briefly and disappeared. I then proceded to uninstall the software and
> > re-installed according to the directions. Still, the same thing.... I went
> > the Netgear website and there I found that I should go into "Add/Remove
> > Programs" and see if Microsoft Hotfix Q815485 is listed. Well, there is no
> > list of all the Hot fixes as there was before I installed SP2. So, I then
> > wentr to "Search" for Q815485. there came up 33 hits. only four referred
> > directly to this number tho. Can I remove just this Hotfix without
> > removing
> > all of SP2 ? OR, should I remove all of SP2 until they get rid of the
> > glitches ????
> > Is there some way around this so I can get this machine back online ? My
> > son uses it for homework projects.
> > If more information is needed I will provide it.
> >
> > Rich

tanya

You can't remove the USB card? That is what I meant. It is a wireless card.