any success using ATI Radeon 9600xt/9800pro on K7TA ?

I want to upgrade my old geforce2 but I am afraid to buy a card that won't
work.
Already tried a fx5600 card , the system didn't even turn on !! (no psu
problem, I've a 500W)
Any experience is welcome

Dan

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:16:39 +0200, "~DP~" <c@ad.it> wrote:

>I want to upgrade my old geforce2 but I am afraid to buy a card that won't
>work.
>Already tried a fx5600 card , the system didn't even turn on !! (no psu
>problem, I've a 500W)
>Any experience is welcome
>
>Dan

Bad, bad idea Dan.
Some may offer other experiences, but mine was a long deathmarch to
the realization that if I wanted to use my new ATI-built 9600XT I was
going to have to dump my KT7A v1. You'd think AGP4x would be AGP4x and
everyone would play nicely but in my case I went thru two RMA's and
the best I could get was a machine that would boot up after 30-40
resets. The other cards wouldn't even click in.

Went thru all the t-shooting procedures (stripping the system down to
the card, the cpu and one stick of RAM), upgraded BIOS and a
more-than-adequate PSU (Turbo Cool 510).

I was finally told off the record by a second or third level tech at
ATI that the board was probably too old (ABIT didn't seem to care).

Get yourself an NF7 series and be much happier!

Chuck

There is another thread discusing same topic in this thread, on 17.mai,2004.

Look for "
KT7A and newest video cards"

"~DP~" <c@ad.it> wrote in message news:c8takn$eh$1@newsread.albacom.net...
> I want to upgrade my old geforce2 but I am afraid to buy a card that
won't
> work.
> Already tried a fx5600 card , the system didn't even turn on !! (no psu
> problem, I've a 500W)
> Any experience is welcome
>
> Dan

"> Bad, bad idea Dan.
> Some may offer other experiences, but mine was a long deathmarch to
> the realization that if I wanted to use my new ATI-built 9600XT I was
> going to have to dump my KT7A v1. You'd think AGP4x would be AGP4x and
> everyone would play nicely but in my case I went thru two RMA's and
> the best I could get was a machine that would boot up after 30-40
> resets. The other cards wouldn't even click in.

Hi Chuck, these are bad news ! I really hoped in a cheap ugrade able to last
1 or 2 years before building a new pc .
I must say that Abit disappointed me here, at least they should publish a
list of card not compatible, saving their customers precious time and money
!
Thanks anyway
Dan

Eh.. I'm running a 9600se card, Powercolor, no problem at all.

Tried following cards, all work: 5200ultra, Gainward Fx5500, Saphire 9200se,
Hercules 8500Le and 9500, Radeon 9600XT.