NF7-S v2 Dual Channel Mode with 3 DIMMS ???

I currently have a 512Mb and a 256Mb stick of DDR400 (Samsung and Corsair).
I am thinking of buying another 256MB stick if they will all run dual mode.
I plan to put the 512 stick in DIMM 3 and the other pair of 256Mb sticks in
DIMMs 1 and 2.

Can anyone confirm it is possible to run dual channel with 3 sticks
(assuming the different brands are compatible)?

On a related note....what's the easiest way to verify your memory is running
with dual channel mode enabled?

"Odie" <observer_11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a 512Mb and a 256Mb stick of DDR400 (Samsung and
Corsair).
> I am thinking of buying another 256MB stick if they will all run dual
mode.
> I plan to put the 512 stick in DIMM 3 and the other pair of 256Mb sticks
in
> DIMMs 1 and 2.
>
> Can anyone confirm it is possible to run dual channel with 3 sticks
> (assuming the different brands are compatible)?

yep...no problem

"Odie" <observer_11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a 512Mb and a 256Mb stick of DDR400 (Samsung and
Corsair).
> I am thinking of buying another 256MB stick if they will all run dual
mode.
> I plan to put the 512 stick in DIMM 3 and the other pair of 256Mb sticks
in
> DIMMs 1 and 2.
>
> Can anyone confirm it is possible to run dual channel with 3 sticks
> (assuming the different brands are compatible)?

On the NF7-S it says so on the POST screen

> On a related note....what's the easiest way to verify your memory is
running
> with dual channel mode enabled?
>

> "Odie" <observer_11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I currently have a 512Mb and a 256Mb stick of DDR400 (Samsung and
> Corsair).
> > I am thinking of buying another 256MB stick if they will all run dual
> mode.
> > I plan to put the 512 stick in DIMM 3 and the other pair of 256Mb sticks
> in
> > DIMMs 1 and 2.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm it is possible to run dual channel with 3 sticks
> > (assuming the different brands are compatible)?

In the manual, it says you can only use 2 DDR 400 DIMMs or 3 DDR 333 DIMMs.

1 '512Mb' + 2 '256Mb' = 3 DIMMs. Are you sure this will work ?

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> yep...no problem
>
> --
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> "Odie" <observer_11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I currently have a 512Mb and a 256Mb stick of DDR400 (Samsung and
> Corsair).
> > I am thinking of buying another 256MB stick if they will all run dual
> mode.
> > I plan to put the 512 stick in DIMM 3 and the other pair of 256Mb sticks
> in
> > DIMMs 1 and 2.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm it is possible to run dual channel with 3 sticks
> > (assuming the different brands are compatible)?

Good point...I missed the bit about DDR 400...However I think it would work
because it depends on the number of banks, 2 x 256MB single sided has the
same as 1 x 512MB double sided....Maybe someone can confirm?

"?uzzled" <not@got.one> wrote in message
> In the manual, it says you can only use 2 DDR 400 DIMMs or 3 DDR 333
DIMMs.

> 1 '512Mb' + 2 '256Mb' = 3 DIMMs. Are you sure this will work ?
>
> "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > yep...no problem
> >
> > --
> > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> > "Odie" <observer_11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I currently have a 512Mb and a 256Mb stick of DDR400 (Samsung and
> > Corsair).
> > > I am thinking of buying another 256MB stick if they will all run dual
> > mode.
> > > I plan to put the 512 stick in DIMM 3 and the other pair of 256Mb
sticks
> > in
> > > DIMMs 1 and 2.
> > >
> > > Can anyone confirm it is possible to run dual channel with 3 sticks
> > > (assuming the different brands are compatible)?

This is called "derating" for higher speeds. Abit is good about
including this spec in their manuals and a similar sort of derating
spec is in my kx7 manual.

A derating spec is a common spec for integrated circuits. The common
technique to work around the derating is to use the next higher speed.

So with the derating given, you should expect 3 sticks of PC3500 (cl =
x) memory to work at 200 MHz (400 FSB) (cl still = x) in the
motherboard.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:58:02 +0100, "?uzzled" <not@got.one> wrote:

>In the manual, it says you can only use 2 DDR 400 DIMMs or 3 DDR 333 DIMMs.

< snip >

Yes, it works. It mainly depends on the quality of the ram. I got 1
512, and 2 256's running in dual channel 400MHz mode, without errors
at all. Rock(prime) stable system.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:55:32 +0100, "BigBadger"
<big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Good point...I missed the bit about DDR 400...However I think it would work
>because it depends on the number of banks, 2 x 256MB single sided has the
>same as 1 x 512MB double sided....Maybe someone can confirm?

That sounds hopeful. Have you got 3 sticks of the faster speed stuff to work
in the NF7-S v2 ? It's just that you said "...you should...". (Not trying to
be pedantic) :)

I'm currently running with 1 '512Mb' of PC3200. I'm hoping to keep the board
for a couple more years and looking to get a further 1 '1Gb' and 1 '512Mb'
and run it in dual channel mode when prices are more reasonable.

What about what bigbadger said ? Do the faster speed DIMMs need to be single
sided or will double sided work ?

Thanks

"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
> This is called "derating" for higher speeds. Abit is good about
> including this spec in their manuals and a similar sort of derating
> spec is in my kx7 manual.
>
> A derating spec is a common spec for integrated circuits. The common
> technique to work around the derating is to use the next higher speed.
>
> So with the derating given, you should expect 3 sticks of PC3500 (cl =
> x) memory to work at 200 MHz (400 FSB) (cl still = x) in the
> motherboard.
>
> Forrest
>
> Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
> http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

Double sided work fine....but maybe not 3 x double sided modules

> That sounds hopeful. Have you got 3 sticks of the faster speed stuff to
work
> in the NF7-S v2 ? It's just that you said "...you should...". (Not trying
> be pedantic) :)
>
> I'm currently running with 1 '512Mb' of PC3200. I'm hoping to keep the
board
> for a couple more years and looking to get a further 1 '1Gb' and 1 '512Mb'
> and run it in dual channel mode when prices are more reasonable.
>
> What about what bigbadger said ? Do the faster speed DIMMs need to be
single
> sided or will double sided work ?
>
> Thanks
>

> "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
> > This is called "derating" for higher speeds. Abit is good about
> > including this spec in their manuals and a similar sort of derating
> > spec is in my kx7 manual.
> >
> > A derating spec is a common spec for integrated circuits. The common
> > technique to work around the derating is to use the next higher speed.
> >
> > So with the derating given, you should expect 3 sticks of PC3500 (cl =
> > x) memory to work at 200 MHz (400 FSB) (cl still = x) in the
> > motherboard.
> >
> > Forrest
> >
> > Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
> > http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

Yeah, I've got a double sided 512Mb at the moment. Just wanted to confirm
for definite that 3 double sided DIMMs at PC3200 and above won't work. I'm
sure 512Mb will be very inadequate when Windows 2007 comes out. :)

However, I'm seeing a lot of 'shoulds' and 'maybes'. Has/is anybody running
with 3 x PC3200 and above ?

> Double sided work fine....but maybe not 3 x double sided modules

3 sticks of PC3500 is not what the manual says - this is
"overclocking" territory. Everyones milage will vary.

I don't have an nf7. All I was describing was a rule of thumb for
electronic items in general. Since the nf7 overclocks to 220 + the
chances are really very good as long as your using decent/branded
memory.

I'm not sure if your goal is 1G or 1.5G but you should realize that 1
stick of 512 MB (dual sided) will work better then 2 sticks of 256 MB
(each single sided). Also that 1 stick of 512 MB (single sided) will
work better than 1 stick of 512 MB (double sided). I can't say I've
ever seen a 512 MB single sided DDR stick though - never looked.

Are you aware that 3 sticks of PC3200 will always work albeit it might
be at a slower fsb than 200 MHz? And, based on the rule of thumb I
have already given, 3 sticks of PC3200 memory should work somewhere
around PC3000 speeds (= 188 MHz). YMMV...

I hope your not too confused, the problem is that its all about
"electrical capacitance".

In message <40b3b32f$0$25325$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, ?uzzled
<not@got.one> writes
>Yeah, I've got a double sided 512Mb at the moment. Just wanted to confirm
>for definite that 3 double sided DIMMs at PC3200 and above won't work. I'm
>sure 512Mb will be very inadequate when Windows 2007 comes out. :)

Yup...... As will everything else in your system though ;-)

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

Get another stick (most preferably the same make and model) of 512mb ram and
put it there so your ram is in slots 1 and 3 for now(Dual Channel). When you
win the lottery and buy a 1gb stick, get the same brand and specs as your
current ram. Don't worry about how many sides the mem chips are mounted on.
Then move the 512 from slot 3 to 2 and slap the 1gb stick in slot 3 for 2gb
of Dual Channel. Done....

Slots 1 and 2 are one channel and 3 is the other. So 2 x 512mb in channel 1
= 1gb and the other 1gb in it's channel is obvious we have a balance of 1gb
per channel for a total of 2gb dual channel.

Now you want to bring it up to the full 3gb capacity. Doing so takes the
dual channel out of the mix because you would now have unbalanced channels
and the machine most likely will run at a 333 fsb speed (I am not taking
into account overclocking in this discussion for the sake of argument). IE:
All memory slots(3) would then have a 1gb stick. Channel 1 would have 2gb
and channel 2 would have 1gb. See the unbalance there with that scenario?

I have (2) NF7s v2 over here with one running a pair of 512 sticks and the
other a 512 with a pair of 256's. Both machines happily running along in
dual channel mode.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit for you.

Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

> Yeah, I've got a double sided 512Mb at the moment. Just wanted to confirm
> for definite that 3 double sided DIMMs at PC3200 and above won't work.
I'm
> sure 512Mb will be very inadequate when Windows 2007 comes out. :)
>
> However, I'm seeing a lot of 'shoulds' and 'maybes'. Has/is anybody
running
> with 3 x PC3200 and above ?
>
> "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Double sided work fine....but maybe not 3 x double sided modules

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm in no hurry to go to 1Gb yet as I think
512Mb is sufficient for my daily needs on XP Pro. It will be very useful to
google back to this thread in the future though.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread. :)