Why does my PC start up when I hang up the phone?

Hi,

I have recently got one of those dual plugs for the phone
connection. Now I can leave the cable from the PC into
the phone as well as having the phone plugged in. What
I've noticed though is if I use the phone and hang up it
starts my PC..(ie: it just fires itself up). what's going
on & how do I stop it from starting my PC.

Any help would be gratefully acceted.
Michael
5 answers Last reply
More about start hang phone

    "Michael Horton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> came forth with the
    following in microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently got one of those dual plugs for the phone
    > connection. Now I can leave the cable from the PC into
    > the phone as well as having the phone plugged in. What
    > I've noticed though is if I use the phone and hang up it
    > starts my PC..(ie: it just fires itself up). what's going
    > on & how do I stop it from starting my PC.
    >
    > Any help would be gratefully acceted.
    > Michael

    Your BIOS is probabley set to wake up the PC when there is any activity on
    the COM ports. Check your BIOS

    --
    Mark

    Mark,

    Many thanks. I have changed it and it seemed to work.
    Cheers

    Michael

    That BIOS change is probably not the solution; only cures a
    symptom. There should be no voltage difference when phone
    hangs up. The Modem was detecting a voltage difference and
    turning on computer. Why is there a voltage difference
    between phone line and maybe electrical ground?

    Suggested: a grounding problem exists either on AC electric
    or telephone line. If problem exists on AC electric earth
    ground, then you have a potential human safety problem. If
    ground problem is phone line, then you have other potentially
    destructive problems.

    Breaker box must now make a connection to earth ground rod
    nearby the breaker box - as required by post 1990 National
    Electrical Code. Your incoming phone line - the premise
    interface box or NID - must also connect to same breaker box
    earth ground. They both must share same earth ground. Only
    visual inspection is sufficient to verify both earthing
    connections exist.

    That computer 'power up' may have been a warning about a
    serious human safety problem; detecting a voltage difference
    that should not exist. Rather than turn off the 'power-up on
    ring' setting on BIOS, instead, find out why that
    unacceptable voltage spike exists - and was detected by modem
    and BIOS.

    Michael Horton wrote:
    > Many thanks. I have changed it and it seemed to work.
    > Cheers
    >
    > Michael
    >
    >> Your BIOS is probabley set to wake up the PC when there
    >> is any activity on the COM ports. Check your BIOS

    Thanks for that. I'll get Telstra out to check the phone
    and an electrician for the power. I hate electricity!

    Telstra? I don't believe Australia uses same premise
    interface protection. Earthing as described is standard in
    North America. But Australian often don't have anything
    equivalent.

    Irregardless, computer should not have been affected by a
    simple phone disconnect. Voltage to be detected as a ring
    voltage by computer means something is not right.

    You don't need an electrician to verify the breaker box is
    earthed. Ground connection should be visually obvious. A
    single and heavy copper wire from breaker box to either an
    earth ground rod outside or maybe to cold water pipe. Should
    an electrician be called, then have him show you this earth
    ground. The only way you will ever know that you (and not
    anyone else) must get a ground fixed is to know what to look
    for. Only visual inspection can determine when professional
    help is required for a grounding problem.

    Michael Horton wrote:
    > Thanks for that. I'll get Telstra out to check the phone
    > and an electrician for the power. I hate electricity!

Phones Microsoft Internet Explorer Windows XP