changing the motherboard and uP in PC system w/XP installed

I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and processor in my PC.
I now have a P4-2.4B and Intel GEBV2 card. I want to get up to
3.2GHz HT 800MHz with 1MB cache and a suitable motherboard.
I intend to replace just my current board and processor with the new ones,
and keep on using the same case, kb, mouse, disk (with XP installed) and
cards. AND I want to avoid a OS reinstall (takes too long to install
all applications; although I expect a reactivation).

Is there a catch to this scheme? (If an eventual OS reinstall hassle will be necessary,
I will keep my current PC as is, as long as I can).
Some vendors tell me that in any XP system, a motherboard and or processor
change will require a format and reinstall. Is this true?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about changing motherboard system installed

    Lots of posts here regarding this problem. Look further into the rest of these for extra information.

    You can reinstall / repair / upgrade without loosing all your personal settings and corrupting the registry.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    The mobo, CPU change is drastic enough that a repair install
    of XP is needed to get the new drivers required by the
    changes. Intel will be shipping a mobo driver CD. I don't
    know for sure what mobo you plan to buy, but if you but an
    D865 mobo with on-board sound and graphics a repair install
    and reactivation will probably be needed. If you are using
    an AGP video card and move that new card it is just slightly
    possible that the computer might not require reactivation.
    In any case, sounds like a nice boost. You might need a
    faster graphics card to keep up with the new FSB and CPU.

    "eepazarc" <eepazarc@ehb.itu.edu.tr> wrote in message
    | I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and processor in
    my PC.
    | I now have a P4-2.4B and Intel GEBV2 card. I want to get
    up to
    | 3.2GHz HT 800MHz with 1MB cache and a suitable
    motherboard.
    | I intend to replace just my current board and processor
    with the new ones,
    | and keep on using the same case, kb, mouse, disk (with XP
    installed) and
    | cards. AND I want to avoid a OS reinstall (takes too long
    to install
    | all applications; although I expect a reactivation).
    |
    | Is there a catch to this scheme? (If an eventual OS
    reinstall hassle will be necessary,
    | I will keep my current PC as is, as long as I can).
    | Some vendors tell me that in any XP system, a motherboard
    and or processor
    | change will require a format and reinstall. Is this true?
    |
    | Thanks.

    Greetings --

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
    transferable to a new motherboard), unless your motherboard is
    virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
    version, etc.) to the one on which the other WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "eepazarc" <eepazarc@ehb.itu.edu.tr> wrote in message
    >I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and processor in my PC.
    > I now have a P4-2.4B and Intel GEBV2 card. I want to get up to
    > 3.2GHz HT 800MHz with 1MB cache and a suitable motherboard.
    > I intend to replace just my current board and processor with the new
    > ones,
    > and keep on using the same case, kb, mouse, disk (with XP installed)
    > and
    > cards. AND I want to avoid a OS reinstall (takes too long to install
    > all applications; although I expect a reactivation).
    >
    > Is there a catch to this scheme? (If an eventual OS reinstall hassle
    > will be necessary,
    > I will keep my current PC as is, as long as I can).
    > Some vendors tell me that in any XP system, a motherboard and or
    > processor
    > change will require a format and reinstall. Is this true?
    >
    > Thanks.

Processors Motherboards Windows XP