Question about Intel mobo D845GBV

A few days ago I finally had the guts to do several firmware updates on my
mobo. (I'm the guy that asked about updating the CPU on the 5th in this NG)
For some reason I also downloaded something that put a new icon on the
taskbar, called Intel wired adapter. I like to know if I need that, or what
it does. I don't use, and I'm not connected to a wired/wireless adapter. I
use DSL, maybe it has something to do with that. Maybe in the future I will
wireless/wired network stuff, but not now. I'm using WIN XP Home. Any help
is appreciated............Peter
2 answers Last reply
More about question intel mobo d845gbv

    The Intel wired adapter is the network adapater (RJ-45) which you would
    normally use is the DSL modem is not an USB model.

    "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > A few days ago I finally had the guts to do several firmware updates on my
    > mobo. (I'm the guy that asked about updating the CPU on the 5th in this
    NG)
    > For some reason I also downloaded something that put a new icon on the
    > taskbar, called Intel wired adapter. I like to know if I need that, or
    what
    > it does. I don't use, and I'm not connected to a wired/wireless adapter. I
    > use DSL, maybe it has something to do with that. Maybe in the future I
    will
    > wireless/wired network stuff, but not now. I'm using WIN XP Home. Any help
    > is appreciated............Peter

    You have the D845GBVL mobo which includes the NIC/LAN
    connection (RJ-45) and that is the primary way to connect a
    cable or DSL modem, some use USB, but the RJ-45 is most
    common I think. It is also the way a Ethernet LAN is
    connected.

    The icon allows you to open the properties and make
    adjustments quickly and monitor the operation. You can hide
    the icon if it bothers you.

    If you get a wireless network, you would have your DSL modem
    connect to a wireless router(which will also often have
    RJ-45 connectors for several computers too) and then you
    would have the option of connecting to your network either
    by radio or wires. You would need the wireless router and a
    wireless network card (IEEE 802.11 [a, b,g}).

    Wire is more secure because the guy across the street can't
    read what you're doing, wireless is more convenient.

    "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    message news:%23czbGmJIEHA.3248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | The Intel wired adapter is the network adapater (RJ-45)
    which you would
    | normally use is the DSL modem is not an USB model.
    |

    | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    | > A few days ago I finally had the guts to do several
    firmware updates on my
    | > mobo. (I'm the guy that asked about updating the CPU on
    the 5th in this
    | NG)
    | > For some reason I also downloaded something that put a
    new icon on the
    | > taskbar, called Intel wired adapter. I like to know if I
    need that, or
    | what
    | > it does. I don't use, and I'm not connected to a
    wired/wireless adapter. I
    | > use DSL, maybe it has something to do with that. Maybe
    in the future I
    | will
    | > wireless/wired network stuff, but not now. I'm using WIN
    XP Home. Any help
    | > is appreciated............Peter

Intel Windows XP