SATA settings on IC7-G for BIOS and XP

Hi -

I have a Abit IC7-G, 2 SATA drives (one for the OS the other drive for
data), and a CD-ROM drive. I am trying to verify I have the correct
configuration for the drives in the BIOS and in Windows XP. My goal is to
have the optimum configuration, 1 SATA HD on each channel and the CD ROM on
its own IDE channel. (If I understand this new fangled SATA stuff
correctly). Here are my BIOS and XP settings:

BIOS Settings:

Advanced BIOS Features
- Bootable Add-in Device = Onboard SATA

Integrated Peripherals
- OnChip IDE Device
- IDE Bus Master = Enabled
- OnChip IDE-1 Controller = Enabled
- Master Drive PIO Mode = Auto
- Slave Drive PIO Mode = Auto
- Master Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
- Slave Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
- OnChip IDE-2 Controller = Enabled
- Master Drive PIO Mode = Auto
- Slave Drive PIO Mode = Auto
- Master Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
- Slave Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
- OnChip Serial = Auto
- Onboard PCI Device
- Serial ATA Controller = Enabled
- SATA RAID ROM = Enabled

Are my BIOS settings correct for the configuration I am trying to achieve?

Windows XP settings:

Device Manager shows the following:

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
- Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
- Primary IDE Channels
- Secondary IDE Channels

Under SCSI and RAID Controllers
- Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller

I will not be using RAID but TomG recommended turning it on. Is this the
correct entry for the IDE controllers?

Also, I installed Windows via a SYSPREP'ed image so I did not have the
opportunity to load the SATA drivers like I would if I pressed F6 during a
CD based install. I am using XP Pro w/ SP1. Are the SATA drivers loaded or
do I need to somehow add them? Or, can I not use a SYSPREP'ed image on a PC
with SATA drives that was created on a PC with IDE drives only?

Thanks for your time.

-Mike D.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

the raid ROM needs to be enabled to utilize the dedicated data channel mode
for the Intel ICH5R SATA controller. If the OS is on one of the SATA
drives, it would not boot without the driver but you could look in device
manager and look under SCSI & Raid controllers and you would see the Intel
SATA controller there. if a driver was not loaded and the device was
enabled, you would see a "?" or a "!" or a "X" indicating a problem with the
device.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Mike D." <me@you.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I have a Abit IC7-G, 2 SATA drives (one for the OS the other drive for
> data), and a CD-ROM drive. I am trying to verify I have the correct
> configuration for the drives in the BIOS and in Windows XP. My goal is to
> have the optimum configuration, 1 SATA HD on each channel and the CD ROM
on
> its own IDE channel. (If I understand this new fangled SATA stuff
> correctly). Here are my BIOS and XP settings:
>
> BIOS Settings:
>
> Advanced BIOS Features
> - Bootable Add-in Device = Onboard SATA
>
> Integrated Peripherals
> - OnChip IDE Device
> - IDE Bus Master = Enabled
> - OnChip IDE-1 Controller = Enabled
> - Master Drive PIO Mode = Auto
> - Slave Drive PIO Mode = Auto
> - Master Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
> - Slave Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
> - OnChip IDE-2 Controller = Enabled
> - Master Drive PIO Mode = Auto
> - Slave Drive PIO Mode = Auto
> - Master Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
> - Slave Drive Ultra DMA = Auto
> - OnChip Serial = Auto
> - Onboard PCI Device
> - Serial ATA Controller = Enabled
> - SATA RAID ROM = Enabled
>

> Are my BIOS settings correct for the configuration I am trying to achieve?
>
> Windows XP settings:
>
> Device Manager shows the following:
>
> Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
> - Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
> - Primary IDE Channels
> - Secondary IDE Channels
>
> Under SCSI and RAID Controllers
> - Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
>
> I will not be using RAID but TomG recommended turning it on. Is this the
> correct entry for the IDE controllers?
>
> Also, I installed Windows via a SYSPREP'ed image so I did not have the
> opportunity to load the SATA drivers like I would if I pressed F6 during a
> CD based install. I am using XP Pro w/ SP1. Are the SATA drivers loaded
or
> do I need to somehow add them? Or, can I not use a SYSPREP'ed image on a
PC
> with SATA drives that was created on a PC with IDE drives only?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> -Mike D.

Thanks Tom.

Just for kicks, I did a clean install of XPSP1 from a CD. I have my 2 SATA
drives hooked up to SATA 1 and SATA 2 on the mobo. I have the RAID ROM
enabled in the BIOS (even though I'm not using it). I was able to install
XP w/o pressing F6 to load drivers. However when XP was finished
installing, XP did not recognize the RAID controller until I supplied the
driver. (BTW, I had to get the latest Silicon Image driver from Windows
Update. Abit's version was old.)

So, this make me wonder, does XP recognize my drives as SATA drives or IDE
drives?

This is what I see in Device Manager after installed the RAID driver:

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
- Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
- Primary IDE Channels
- Secondary IDE Channels

Under SCSI and RAID Controllers
- Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller

-Mike

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Device Manager shows the following:
> >
> > Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
> > - Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
> > - Primary IDE Channels
> > - Secondary IDE Channels
> >
> > Under SCSI and RAID Controllers
> > - Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
> >
> > I will not be using RAID but TomG recommended turning it on. Is this
the
> > correct entry for the IDE controllers?
> >
> > Also, I installed Windows via a SYSPREP'ed image so I did not have the
> > opportunity to load the SATA drivers like I would if I pressed F6 during
> > CD based install. I am using XP Pro w/ SP1. Are the SATA drivers
loaded
> or
> > do I need to somehow add them? Or, can I not use a SYSPREP'ed image on
> PC
> > with SATA drives that was created on a PC with IDE drives only?

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

XP will show you how it sees the drives in device manager under hard drives.
so, you installed XP onto the SATA drives without pressing F6 and installing
drivers? you don't have another drive on the regular PATA IDE controller
that XP got installed to? the fact that XP did not recognize your SATA
controller without drivers should point out that it would have a hard time
installing the OS to a device connected to the SATA controller as well. to
be able to install XP to a drive on a PATA IDE controller without installing
drivers via F6 is not hard to believe at all.