DVD CD ROM only works when system docked

Why would my system only acknowledge the DVD CD ROM when the system is in the docking station, plugged into a T1 line, but does not reconize it at home without a docking station and a phone line? This is an external ROM using a Targus Cardbus Cable II. Please someone let me know what to do/try!!!!

Because it's a notebook PC it often is the case that an external drive must
be attached to a powered hub before it can be correctly recognized.

It's a power issue.

www.coribright.com