multiple problems with NF7-S

Just bought an Abit NF7-S and trying to install it in an Antec Super
Lanboy case. Ran into a few problems...

1) Why are the headers for the front-panel audio and CD audio right in
front of one of the PCI slots? This pretty much eliminates the
possibility of using that slot. Also, the wires have to travel along
the baord near the PCI slots, which is a nuissance.

2) The firewire headers are also in a bad spot - they interfere with
the AGP slot.

3) All the 3-pin case fan connectors are on the "back" side of the
board - as in, near the I/O panel. The case I bought has a wire for
the front case fan that only reaches about half-way across the board,
so I cannot connect it anywhere. Is this the fault of Abit or Antec?
Either way, I cannot use either until I get this resolved.

4) The front-panel audio headers do not give a full enough description
of what they do. If I connect them, will the back-panel audio ports
cease to function? I would assume the back-panel audio works UNLESS
something gets plugged into the front, but the directions make it seem
otherwise.

5) Also with the Antec case, they give directions for connecting the
front-panel power switch, LEDs, etc. Those dirrections seem to
conflict with Abit's diagrams. For example, the reset switch, I'm
told to "connect the colored wire to power and the black wire to
ground". However, even though the Abit diagram shows a 2-pin
connector for the reset switch, those pins are not distinguished from
one another. I cannot tell if I'm going to connect the thing the
wrong way.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

>1) Why are the headers for the front-panel audio and CD audio right in
>front of one of the PCI slots? This pretty much eliminates the
>possibility of using that slot. Also, the wires have to travel along
>the baord near the PCI slots, which is a nuissance.

Not sure why, just a bad design.

>2) The firewire headers are also in a bad spot - they interfere with
>the AGP slot.

Unless you need them don't bother. Use USB 2.0 instead it has more bandwith
anyway.

>3) All the 3-pin case fan connectors are on the "back" side of the
>board - as in, near the I/O panel. The case I bought has a wire for
>the front case fan that only reaches about half-way across the board,
>so I cannot connect it anywhere. Is this the fault of Abit or Antec?
>Either way, I cannot use either until I get this resolved.

Again bad design. Just get an extension adapter that will reach them.

>4) The front-panel audio headers do not give a full enough description
>of what they do. If I connect them, will the back-panel audio ports
>cease to function? I would assume the back-panel audio works UNLESS
>something gets plugged into the front, but the directions make it seem
>otherwise.

Not sure sorry I'm not using the headers.

>5) Also with the Antec case, they give directions for connecting the
>front-panel power switch, LEDs, etc. Those dirrections seem to
>conflict with Abit's diagrams. For example, the reset switch, I'm
>told to "connect the colored wire to power and the black wire to
>ground". However, even though the Abit diagram shows a 2-pin
>connector for the reset switch, those pins are not distinguished from
>one another. I cannot tell if I'm going to connect the thing the
>wrong way.

You can not connect the reset or power on switch wrong. A switch will work both
ways.

> >3) All the 3-pin case fan connectors are on the "back" side of the
> >board - as in, near the I/O panel. The case I bought has a wire for
> >the front case fan that only reaches about half-way across the board,
> >so I cannot connect it anywhere. Is this the fault of Abit or Antec?
> >Either way, I cannot use either until I get this resolved.
>
> Again bad design. Just get an extension adapter that will reach them.

That's what I had to do. Luckily I was able to order one online for $1.00.

> You can not connect the reset or power on switch wrong. A switch will work
both
> ways.

Thanks. Antec's instructions were probably just being over-cautious.

Robert

"David Besack" <davebesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> 4) The front-panel audio headers do not give a full enough description
> of what they do. If I connect them, will the back-panel audio ports
> cease to function? I would assume the back-panel audio works UNLESS
> something gets plugged into the front, but the directions make it seem
> otherwise.

When the FPIO2 header is properly connected, the back panel front speaker
port will cease to function only when you have something plugged into the
front panel port.

See paragraphs 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 in the following reference:
http://www.minmaw.com/FPIO_Design_Guideline_final%20v10.pdf

> > 4) The front-panel audio headers do not give a full enough description
> > of what they do. If I connect them, will the back-panel audio ports
> > cease to function? I would assume the back-panel audio works UNLESS
> > something gets plugged into the front, but the directions make it seem
> > otherwise.
>
> When the FPIO2 header is properly connected, the back panel front speaker
> port will cease to function only when you have something plugged into the
> front panel port.
>
> See paragraphs 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 in the following reference:
> http://www.minmaw.com/FPIO_Design_Guideline_final%20v10.pdf

Thanks, that was the info I was looking for!

On 27 May 2004 20:38:58 -0700, davebesack@mac.com (David Besack)
wrote:

I have an NF7-s in an Antec Full tower, XP3200 and Radeon 9800 Pro. I
had no problems installing the board in this case.

>Just bought an Abit NF7-S and trying to install it in an Antec Super
>Lanboy case. Ran into a few problems...
>
>1) Why are the headers for the front-panel audio and CD audio right in
>front of one of the PCI slots? This pretty much eliminates the
>possibility of using that slot. Also, the wires have to travel along
>the baord near the PCI slots, which is a nuissance.

I had no trouble in installing CD audio cable, with a standard Lite On
brand CDRW and it reached fine from the CDRW to the header

>2) The firewire headers are also in a bad spot - they interfere with
>the AGP slot.

No prob here, even with 9800 Pro

>3) All the 3-pin case fan connectors are on the "back" side of the
>board - as in, near the I/O panel. The case I bought has a wire for
>the front case fan that only reaches about half-way across the board,
>so I cannot connect it anywhere. Is this the fault of Abit or Antec?
>Either way, I cannot use either until I get this resolved.

You'll need an adapter cable for that, I'm afraid

>4) The front-panel audio headers do not give a full enough description
>of what they do. If I connect them, will the back-panel audio ports
>cease to function? I would assume the back-panel audio works UNLESS
>something gets plugged into the front, but the directions make it seem
>otherwise.

Can't answer that one, I'm using onboard sound with 5.1 speakers into
the rear (onboard) jacks, no prob and FANTASTIC quality sound

>5) Also with the Antec case, they give directions for connecting the
>front-panel power switch, LEDs, etc. Those dirrections seem to
>conflict with Abit's diagrams. For example, the reset switch, I'm
>told to "connect the colored wire to power and the black wire to
>ground". However, even though the Abit diagram shows a 2-pin
>connector for the reset switch, those pins are not distinguished from
>one another. I cannot tell if I'm going to connect the thing the
>wrong way.

I had that very same prob, so I just threw them in (crossed fingers)
and no probs. I think you'll find it is just a one way switch, so
either plug on either pin should work.

--
Avenger©
webweaver@CATihug.com.au

I should have added what I did with the firewire on a system I
built.
I unscrewed one of the firewires and replaced it with one of the USB
connectors. That way you will only take up one PCI slot but still have at least
1 firewire and 1 USB connection on the back of the computer.