Another hard drive not recognized by XP with a twist

April 12, 2004 2:56:12 PM

I have a twist on a problem discussed several times.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the following problem with my Microsoft XP
Professional and a new Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm
SATA drive.

I am in the process of building a new computer.

AMD Athalon 64 FX-53 CPU

ASUS SK8V Motherboard

Western Digital Raptor 76 gigabyte Hard Drive

Windows xp pro. newly bought OS

I put together all parts (including ATI graphics card,
SONY floppy drive, sound card,).

When I turned on the machine, BOOT up went well. BIOS
settings all default.

On loading the Windows XP disk in my Plextor DVD RW it
began the loading process but windows did not recognize
the raptor SATA drive.

I know from various hardware forums that this is a common
problem and that you need to load a driver for the SATA
hard drive and have tried this by.

a. Making a floppy with the driver from the ASUS
mother board disk and inserting it into the floppy after
pressing F6 and S like windows instructs.

b. Making a floppy with the driver from western
digital, same procedure.

The floppy drive lights up and is spinning as it should.

Then, after a few moments, the windows F6 screen comes
back up asking if you want to push S to add another
drive. This keeps happening until I push enter and then
after a moment, windows says it cannot proceed because
there is no hard drive.

What am I doing wrong?

PS: I have double checked the hard drive connections and
the SATA cable is in the correct position and the power
is going to the drive and it seems to be spinning.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 12:06:22 AM

"E Lambeth" asked
> I have a twist on a problem discussed several times.
> Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am having the following problem with my Microsoft XP
> Professional and a new Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm
> SATA drive.
><snip>
> AMD Athalon 64 FX-53 CPU
>
> ASUS SK8V Motherboard
>
> Western Digital Raptor 76 gigabyte Hard Drive
>
> Windows xp pro. newly bought OS
> When I turned on the machine, BOOT up went well. BIOS
> settings all default.
>
> On loading the Windows XP disk in my Plextor DVD RW it
> began the loading process but windows did not recognize
> the raptor SATA drive.
>
> I know from various hardware forums that this is a common
> problem and that you need to load a driver for the SATA
> hard drive and have tried this by.
>
> a. Making a floppy with the driver from the ASUS
> mother board disk and inserting it into the floppy after
> pressing F6 and S like windows instructs.
>
> b. Making a floppy with the driver from western
> digital, same procedure.
>
> The floppy drive lights up and is spinning as it should.

<snip> windows says it cannot proceed because
> there is no hard drive.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> PS: I have double checked the hard drive connections and
> the SATA cable is in the correct position and the power
> is going to the drive and it seems to be spinning.

Hi E

From the info you have provided I'm going to guess that you have the SATA
drive connected to the Promise Controller (?)

If so, reconnect it to the native support SATA connector labelled SATA1 in
your mainboard manual (page 2-24).

Check your BIOS settings to ensure that "OnChip SATA BootROM" is enabled in
Onboard Devices Configuration menu and try again.

It looks as if your mainboard includes native support for SATA, fully
integrated into the Southbridge, as well as the promise RAID controller.
The native support should be able to use standard IDE drivers from the XP
install CD and there should be no need (when using the correct SATA
connectors) to introduce a third-party driver using the F6 method.

Post an update when you can.
Hope that helps
Pete
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:35:00 AM

you can change sata datawire and try again

--

!