How change drive letter of system volume?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have been copying & restoring my XP partition as a backup.

The result of all the copying back & forth, is that the system
partition now calls itself "S" instead of "C".

Disk Management will not let me change the letter of this
partition. How can I do this?

Pete

PS: I have *not* separated out my XP system partition from my boot
partition. Everything is in the one XP partition.

--

posted to:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
9 answers Last reply
More about change drive letter system volume
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I use a third party software such as Partition Magic 8.
    "Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I have been copying & restoring my XP partition as a backup.
    >
    > The result of all the copying back & forth, is that the system
    > partition now calls itself "S" instead of "C".
    >
    > Disk Management will not let me change the letter of this
    > partition. How can I do this?
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > PS: I have *not* separated out my XP system partition from my boot
    > partition. Everything is in the one XP partition.
    >
    > --
    >

    > posted to:
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Article 223188 in the Knowledge Base describes "How To: Restore The
    System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows."
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188

    - Robert -

    "Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I have been copying & restoring my XP partition as a backup.
    >
    > The result of all the copying back & forth, is that the system
    > partition now calls itself "S" instead of "C".
    >
    > Disk Management will not let me change the letter of this
    > partition. How can I do this?
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > PS: I have *not* separated out my XP system partition from my boot
    > partition. Everything is in the one XP partition.
    >
    > --
    >

    > posted to:
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    NO NO NO NO NO ... that article only applies to Windows 2000. You CANNOT
    change the drive letter of the System drive letter in Windows XP as its hard
    coded in certain areas and through Windows Product Activation. You will
    have to reinstall Windows XP without as little hardware connected as
    possible to try and get the C: back to the correct hard drive.

    --
    Doug Allen, Windows 2000 MCSE
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    "RobD" <robden12@adelphia.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > Article 223188 in the Knowledge Base describes "How To: Restore The
    > System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows."
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188
    >
    > - Robert -
    >
    > "Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been copying & restoring my XP partition as a backup.
    > >
    > > The result of all the copying back & forth, is that the system
    > > partition now calls itself "S" instead of "C".
    > >
    > > Disk Management will not let me change the letter of this
    > > partition. How can I do this?
    > >
    > > Pete
    > >

    > > PS: I have *not* separated out my XP system partition from my boot
    > > partition. Everything is in the one XP partition.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > posted to:
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:16:01 -0400, "Doug Allen [MSFT]"
    <dougall@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >NO NO NO NO NO ... that article only applies to Windows 2000. You CANNOT
    >change the drive letter of the System drive letter in Windows XP as its hard
    >coded in certain areas and through Windows Product Activation. You will
    >have to reinstall Windows XP without as little hardware connected as
    >possible to try and get the C: back to the correct hard drive.

    Then how come I've done it on at least three occasions using that same
    article? Have you tried it to see if it works?

    There is NOTHING hard coded in XP any different from Win2000 with
    regard to changing the system or boot drive letter. And what in the
    world has activation have to do with it?

    Your answer is just plain wrong......
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    >> "Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> >I have been copying & restoring my XP partition as a backup.
    >> >
    >> > The result of all the copying back & forth, is that the
    >> > system partition now calls itself "S" instead of "C".
    >> >
    >> > Disk Management will not let me change the letter of this
    >> > partition. How can I do this?
    >> >
    >> > Pete

    > "RobD" <robden12@adelphia.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Article 223188 in the Knowledge Base describes "How To:
    >> Restore The System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows."
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188
    >>
    >> - Robert -

    "Doug Allen [MSFT]" <dougall@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > NO NO NO NO NO ... that article only applies to Windows 2000.
    > You CANNOT change the drive letter of the System drive letter
    > in Windows XP as its hard coded in certain areas and through
    > Windows Product Activation. You will have to reinstall
    > Windows XP without as little hardware connected as possible to
    > try and get the C: back to the correct hard drive.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Allen, Windows 2000 MCSE
    > Microsoft Enterprise Support

    Doug, this web page by Petri (MCSE) does through the steps for XP
    and they seem very similar to the steps in MSKB Q223188

    http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223188

    Do you think it might actaully be ok to do this in XP?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:14:11 +0100, Peter Rossiter <not_me@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >> "RobD" <robden12@adelphia.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Article 223188 in the Knowledge Base describes "How To:
    >>> Restore The System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows."
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188
    >>>
    >>> - Robert -
    >

    >"Doug Allen [MSFT]" <dougall@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> NO NO NO NO NO ... that article only applies to Windows 2000.
    >> You CANNOT change the drive letter of the System drive letter
    >> in Windows XP as its hard coded in certain areas and through
    >> Windows Product Activation. You will have to reinstall
    >> Windows XP without as little hardware connected as possible to
    >> try and get the C: back to the correct hard drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Allen, Windows 2000 MCSE
    >> Microsoft Enterprise Support
    >

    >Doug, this web page by Petri (MCSE) does through the steps for XP
    >and they seem very similar to the steps in MSKB Q223188
    >
    >http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223188
    >
    >Do you think it might actaully be ok to do this in XP?

    It works just fine. I've done it at least three times. There are
    some things to watch out for especially if you have installed software
    after the drive letter was swapped by XP. In that situation where
    you have installed software, it's best to re-install XP and start
    over.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    CS <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>"Doug Allen [MSFT]" <dougall@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> NO NO NO NO NO ... that article only applies to Windows
    >>> 2000. You CANNOT change the drive letter of the System drive
    >>> letter in Windows XP as its hard coded in certain areas and
    >>> through Windows Product Activation. You will have to
    >>> reinstall Windows XP without as little hardware connected as
    >>> possible to try and get the C: back to the correct hard
    >>> drive.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Doug Allen, Windows 2000 MCSE
    >>> Microsoft Enterprise Support
    >>

    >>Doug, this web page by Petri (MCSE) does through the steps for
    >>XP and they seem very similar to the steps in MSKB Q223188
    >>
    >>http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp
    >>.htm
    >>
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223188
    >>
    >>Do you think it might actaully be ok to do this in XP?
    >
    > It works just fine. I've done it at least three times. There
    > are some things to watch out for especially if you have
    > installed software after the drive letter was swapped by XP.
    > In that situation where you have installed software, it's best
    > to re-install XP and start over.

    WOuld it be ok to reset all the drive letters by celaring the MBR
    signature on each hard drive of mine which XP has put there?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:00:43 +0100, Peter Rossiter <not_me@mail.com>
    >CS <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:14:11 +0100, Peter Rossiter

    Yep. XP's not particularly survivable in such circumstances.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188

    I see. So yet another price paid by the user for WPA is less
    survivability in this context. More robust it is not

    >>>Doug, this web page by Petri (MCSE) does through the steps for
    >>>XP and they seem very similar to the steps in MSKB Q223188

    http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223188

    >>>Do you think it might actaully be ok to do this in XP?

    >> It works just fine. I've done it at least three times. There
    >> are some things to watch out for especially if you have
    >> installed software after the drive letter was swapped by XP.
    >> In that situation where you have installed software, it's best
    >> to re-install XP and start over.

    >WOuld it be ok to reset all the drive letters by celaring the MBR
    >signature on each hard drive of mine which XP has put there?

    Careful with clearing MBR signatures, if that's exactly what you mean.

    If you clear the 55AA hex values that terminate the MBR, and then use
    FDisk /MBR to restore standard MBR boot code, FDisk will zero out the
    partition table, losing all volumes on that HD. You do NOT want that.

    If you weren't refering to this MBR boot signature, perhaps you were
    referring to the volume serial number, as held in the *Partition* Boot
    Record? If so, that may lose a WPA "life" and thus tilt you one step
    further towards DoS attack my WPA. Yes, I know the volume serial
    number is *not* hardware and will change whenever you convert to NTFS
    or format the volume, but nonetheless WPA monitors it as a "life".

    >-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
    "Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
    ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"
    >----------------------- ------ ---- --- -- - - - -
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "cquirke (MVP Win9x)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:00:43 +0100, Peter Rossiter
    > <not_me@mail.com>
    >>CS <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:14:11 +0100, Peter Rossiter

    > Yep. XP's not particularly survivable in such circumstances.

    > I see. So yet another price paid by the user for WPA is less
    > survivability in this context. More robust it is not

    > http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp
    > .htm
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223188

    >>> It works just fine. I've done it at least three times.
    >>> There are some things to watch out for especially if you
    >>> have installed software after the drive letter was swapped
    >>> by XP. In that situation where you have installed software,
    >>> it's best to re-install XP and start over.
    >
    >>WOuld it be ok to reset all the drive letters by celaring the
    >>MBR signature on each hard drive of mine which XP has put
    >>there?
    >
    > Careful with clearing MBR signatures, if that's exactly what
    > you mean.
    >
    > If you clear the 55AA hex values that terminate the MBR, and
    > then use FDisk /MBR to restore standard MBR boot code, FDisk
    > will zero out the partition table, losing all volumes on that
    > HD. You do NOT want that.
    >
    > If you weren't refering to this MBR boot signature, perhaps
    > you were referring to the volume serial number, as held in the
    > *Partition* Boot Record? If so, that may lose a WPA "life"
    > and thus tilt you one step further towards DoS attack my WPA.
    > Yes, I know the volume serial number is *not* hardware and
    > will change whenever you convert to NTFS or format the volume,
    > but nonetheless WPA monitors it as a "life".

    Thanks for the info. Yes, I was referring to the MBR boot
    signature.

    I went and cleared those from my hard drives and all was ok
    afterwards.

    Seems to me that XP is keeping track of a lot (and perhaps too
    much) info about the config in order to try and help.

Partition Microsoft Windows XP