Problems to log onto Provider

Hi all,

sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm currently connected
using 46 Kbit/s, so it's kinda slow to browse all entries.

I want to connect to a hotspot from my hotel (in Germany). The wireless
netwrok card finds the hotspot and connects with excellent quality. But I
can't access the internet (not even the login site of the provider). When I
check the status of the network connection it shows many bytes sent, but
only a few received. This doesn't change when I try to open an internet
site.

Hardware:
I'm using a laptop running Win XP Home and tried using a sitecom wireless PC
card adapter (100 MB) as well as a T-Sinus 111 data USB to connect.

Historie:
I've already managed to connect to this hotspot with the same hardware
(sitecom) from the same room in the hotel a few weeks ago. Then I updated my
laptop with WIN XP SP2 ( I know it's stupid, but it happened) and the
problems started. Now I uninstalled SP2 but the problem still exists.

What is the problem? What can I do besides reinstall the whole system? I've
tried to reinstall the network cards, the Windows firewall is deactivated,
I've no idea what else I can try :-(

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dominik

Just a suggestion, try checking the manufacturers' sites for updated drivers
or info. I did an sp2 update on a laptop with an Xterasys wireless card and
it bluescreened if I plugged the card in (where it worked fine before). It
turned out that the card software conflicted with things, so I needed to
uninstall it and just install the drivers. It worked fine. My first
instinct when it bluescreened was to think "I'm glad I made a drive backup"
or to want to uninstall sp2, but I'm glad I did some checking around first,
because the real fix was pretty simple.

I know when traveling you don't want to spend time troubleshooting, but I
think uninstalling SP2 was a mistake, as it does work nicely with wireless
for the most part...and even if you do get it working now, you still have
the "eventual" update to do. Better to deal with the issues that come up
and work them through, IMO.

Gary