Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BP6 motherboard donated too :-) - what CPU(s) can this one..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 30, 2004 8:37:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
among the donated motherboards there was a single BP6 :-)

socket 370, obviously
but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

for example -
don't some Socket 370 chips have a different voltage,
or am I getting confused ???

meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
but no additional divider for the AGP bus...

so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 :-) -
would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP

any comments ???
thanks in advance :-)
May 30, 2004 8:55:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

"no-name" <no-name@false-address.net> wrote in message
news:c9bkrq$nms$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
> among the donated motherboards there was a single BP6 :-)
>
> socket 370, obviously
> but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

oops -
I meant to emphasise the use of *dual* CPU's

I assume this is only possible with a limited range of CPU's

I know Intel now deliberately breaks multiprocessing ability
in all but its Xeon range - but when did they start doing that ???

what were the fastest Celerons that could do dual ??

and/or would twin P3 work in a BP6 ???

and if so, what would be the best pair ???
( avoiding any comments about who has the best pair... )

thanks in advance :-)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2004 12:34:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

no-name wrote:
> among the donated motherboards there was a single BP6 :-)
> socket 370, obviously
> but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

Yes, Coppermines (FC-PGA), and also not Tualatins (FC-PGA2).
Only PPGA-processors work in the BP6, unless you mod it..

> meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
> have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
> but no additional divider for the AGP bus...

Yes, that is a general issue with the 440BX-chipset.

> so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 :-) -
> would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP

Actually, you would be very lucky to get a BP6 running above 110 MHz
FSB, using two processors.
Running dual limits the FSB-speed very much.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2004 12:44:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

no-name wrote:
> I meant to emphasise the use of *dual* CPU's
> I assume this is only possible with a limited range of CPU's

All Coppermine and Tualatin Celerons can't run in dual configuration.

> I know Intel now deliberately breaks multiprocessing ability
> in all but its Xeon range - but when did they start doing that ???
>
> what were the fastest Celerons that could do dual ??

533 MHz (Mendocino PPGA - not the 533A, which is a Coppermine).

> and/or would twin P3 work in a BP6?

Well, not unless you mod it, or use an adapter for FC-PGA/FC-PGA2 ->
PPGA pinout. I've never heard of anyone running dual P3 Tualatin in
one, but I think it could be done with those adapters.

> and if so, what would be the best pair?

Question is; will it be stable? - the board wasn't designed to power
dual P3-processors.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2004 12:44:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

His answer is a little misleading...

A clearer answer may have been:

No Celeron that is Coppermine or Tualatin based can run in SMP mode (FCPGA
and FCPGA2, respectively).

Yes. Celeron 533 (not 533A) can be run in Dual mode.

Any PIII socket 370 can be run in SMP mode.

The BH6 is a slot 1 board. You need an adapter, or good luck finding volumes
of cheap high speed slot1 processors. (slot1, 1GHz/100/512K would be your
highest hope for native, not "tweaked" support)

With a slotket and an FCPGA2 adapter, you could run P3-S 1.4 processors in
that board (yes, its amazing). For most users, 1 processor is enough. for
real workstations, and servers ... life STARTS at 2 processors

NuTs

"Jens C. Hansen [Odense]" <"Jens C. Hansen [Odense]"> wrote in message
news:40b96636$0$182$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.dk...
> no-name wrote:
> > I meant to emphasise the use of *dual* CPU's
> > I assume this is only possible with a limited range of CPU's
>
> All Coppermine and Tualatin Celerons can't run in dual configuration.
>
> > I know Intel now deliberately breaks multiprocessing ability
> > in all but its Xeon range - but when did they start doing that ???
> >
> > what were the fastest Celerons that could do dual ??
>
> 533 MHz (Mendocino PPGA - not the 533A, which is a Coppermine).
>
> > and/or would twin P3 work in a BP6?
>
> Well, not unless you mod it, or use an adapter for FC-PGA/FC-PGA2 ->
> PPGA pinout. I've never heard of anyone running dual P3 Tualatin in
> one, but I think it could be done with those adapters.
>
> > and if so, what would be the best pair?
>
> Question is; will it be stable? - the board wasn't designed to power
> dual P3-processors.
!