Upgrading DDR on a KG7 Raid

Have to increase DDR on a KG7 Raid, now with 256MB DDR PC/2100, and intend
to replace with a pair of Dual-Channel PC3200 / DDR400 from TwinMos (
http://www.twinmos.com/dram/dram_p_dt_dualchannel_ddr400.htm), after a mail
to TwinMos techinical support they confirm can use this DDR on the Abit KG7
Raid, the only thing to do is to set manually the MB bios for the new ram.
Did anybody used Dual Channel DDR on the KG7 Raid ? And if so, have had any
problem ?

Thanks

Cheer

Sergio
_______________________
sergiotro--##--nospam--##--@inwind.it

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

well, the one thing to be aware of is that board does not support dual
channel... the ram will probably work just fine but the board does not do
dual channel. you probably knew that....

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

TomG wrote:
> well, the one thing to be aware of is that board does not support dual
> channel... the ram will probably work just fine but the board does not do
> dual channel.
>
> you probably knew that....

:)
Geeze, you broke my 'ballon'.

I had a thot that =MY= KG&-R ,ite have
'morphed' its' mamory cntrlr into 'dc'(dual chnl).
Bummer!

Youst Guru 'peeps' are no fun. ;_(

But ...
you probably ...

:)
Qed.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:40:45 +0200, Sergio Trovarelli wrote:

> Have to increase DDR on a KG7 Raid, now with 256MB DDR PC/2100, and intend
> to replace with a pair of Dual-Channel PC3200 / DDR400 from TwinMos (
> http://www.twinmos.com/dram/dram_p_dt_dualchannel_ddr400.htm), after a mail
> to TwinMos techinical support they confirm can use this DDR on the Abit KG7
> Raid, the only thing to do is to set manually the MB bios for the new ram.
> Did anybody used Dual Channel DDR on the KG7 Raid ? And if so, have had any
> problem ?

First, there is no such thing as dual channel ram. There are MB's that
support dual channel memory controllers, but the ram is still just DDR
ram. Your board doesn't support dual channel and even if it did, there's
no real advantage for it unless you have integrated video that could use
it, which you don't. So if you want 512M of ram and you have 256M now, all
you need is another 256M stick. If you want 768M, just buy a single 512M
stick to go with what you have. Now for dual channel, which doesn't even
apply to you, you don't even have to have 2 sticks from the same
manufacturer. They just have to work at the timings you set. You can even
run different speed rams in dual channel if you know what you're doing,
but that's something you don't really need to know with your board.

Qed wrote:

| :)
| Geeze, you broke my 'ballon'.

Part of me doesn't want to know... but here goes. What's a ballon? Did it
have a mate? Was it once connected to your squeaky toy apparatus?

Would it not be better called a balloff?

| I had a thot that =MY= KG&-R ,ite have
| 'morphed' its' mamory cntrlr into 'dc'(dual chnl).
| Bummer!
|
| Youst Guru 'peeps' are no fun. ;_(
|
| But ...
| you probably ...

Even if your 'ballon' were still connected, I don't think TomG would be
interested.

Nice try. ;-)

Jef

p.s. I didn't think you knew nuthin' about 'mamory'...

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I probably WHAT?? knew that? nah!

--

TomG wrote:
> I probably WHAT?? knew that? nah!

Boy!

You musta lost yer friggin Aluminum Helmet !!
No more mind reading for you !
Sheesh !

You and JefN ... crochity, nasty, dirty Old Men ...
unlike 'me' ...
who is the veritable HEART and SOUL of consumate 'beauty'.

I waited !DAYS! for my KG&-R mamory controller to morph into
a dual channel "unit" ...
meanwhile ...
my "unit" had nothing to occupy itself 'with'.
Sheesh!
Then 'too' ...
I was hoping my "unit" would become dual channel.
Nothing . Nada .

Speaking of "units" ...
hows your zero_channel "unit" doin' ???

Qed.