networking protocol question

April 12, 2004 11:09:02 PM

Which is the best newsgroup to ask questions regarding networking protocols?

Specifically, I have a network with the following-

Several WinXP computers (1 home, 2 Professional)
Windows 2000 computer
Novell Netware 3.2 (ipx/spx)
Windows ME

On this network, I need to share files & printers between any and all
computers listed above.

Question is, which protocols do I absolutely have to have? Right now the
network is pretty slow when printing, possibly because too many protocols
are loaded. I know I need IPX/SPX to connect to the Netware server (I use
the Novell client to do so on the WinME and WinXP Home machines, since
Microsoft doesn't include IPX/SPX for those). Can everything else run on
TCP/IP?

Thanks!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 12:12:52 AM

Never mind, I re-posted to network_web, which appears to be the correct
group. Kinda through me a bit, since the _web thing implied that it had
something to do with networking across the 'net, but the content mostly
deals with local networking.

Thanks again-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com