networking protocol question

Which is the best newsgroup to ask questions regarding networking protocols?

Specifically, I have a network with the following-

Several WinXP computers (1 home, 2 Professional)
Windows 2000 computer
Novell Netware 3.2 (ipx/spx)
Windows ME

On this network, I need to share files & printers between any and all
computers listed above.

Question is, which protocols do I absolutely have to have? Right now the
network is pretty slow when printing, possibly because too many protocols
are loaded. I know I need IPX/SPX to connect to the Netware server (I use
the Novell client to do so on the WinME and WinXP Home machines, since
Microsoft doesn't include IPX/SPX for those). Can everything else run on
TCP/IP?

Thanks!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member
1 answer Last reply
More about networking protocol question

    Never mind, I re-posted to network_web, which appears to be the correct
    group. Kinda through me a bit, since the _web thing implied that it had
    something to do with networking across the 'net, but the content mostly
    deals with local networking.

    Thanks again-

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message
    > Which is the best newsgroup to ask questions regarding networking
    protocols?

    > Specifically, I have a network with the following-
    >
    > Several WinXP computers (1 home, 2 Professional)
    > Windows 2000 computer
    > Novell Netware 3.2 (ipx/spx)
    > Windows ME
    >
    > On this network, I need to share files & printers between any and all
    > computers listed above.
    >
    > Question is, which protocols do I absolutely have to have? Right now the
    > network is pretty slow when printing, possibly because too many protocols
    > are loaded. I know I need IPX/SPX to connect to the Netware server (I use
    > the Novell client to do so on the WinME and WinXP Home machines, since
    > Microsoft doesn't include IPX/SPX for those). Can everything else run on
    > TCP/IP?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    > Chain Reaction Bicycles