Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?

"metooo" <metooo@telus.net> wrote in message
news:ElCte.84392$tt5.36225@edtnps90...
> Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?

Well I have the vanilla AN8, and I love it. My friend has the Ultra though,
and he says it's "the mutt's nuts", mate (English for good/great). It's
expensive though.

The Nforce4 Ultra chipset is a great chipset, and the SATA II/3GB per sec
thing should come in handy during its prospective life. Also, the NCQ
(Native Command Queuing) really is a great feature, and it really does get
you a boost in operational speed from your SATA drives - though NCQ is a
feature of all NForce4 Ultra (and I suspect plain Nforce4) boards. I have
looked over the AN8 Ultra board in a shop, it's very well made - top quality
Japanese capacitors throughout (although the very same as my vanilla AN8 in
this respect). The Northbridge fan (on all AN8's) feature is a pain in the
arse though. A 'passive' cooler would have worked just as well, and had a
greater life expectancy. I have heard that they can get noisy after a while,
or just stop working well before the board's time is up. There are boards,
just as good as the AN8's, that have passive cooling on the Northbridge.
DFI/Lan Party socket 939 boards will easily compete or even better the AN8
Ultra - but yes, it's a top board.

"metooo" <metooo@telus.net> wrote in message
> Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?

AN8U arrived today :) yip yip happy, 3200+ -> 4XXX+ Air cool.

£72.33 AN8Ultra
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91859

£72.33 AN8 (V1.0) - Feb. BIOS :-( no venice
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8347641132&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85804

£63.13 AN8-V
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8347539311&action=c2VsZWN0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=&product_uid=91858

T.
whippet,
the happy doggy

"Agent Smith" <smith@whippet.plus.com> wrote in message

> "metooo" <metooo@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?
>
> AN8U arrived today :) yip yip happy, 3200+ -> 4XXX+ Air cool.
>
> £72.33 AN8Ultra
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91859
>
> £72.33 AN8 (V1.0) - Feb. BIOS :-( no venice
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8347641132&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85804

So the vanilla AN8 won't take the new Venice core Athlons then? :\