    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:42:12 GMT, metooo <metooo@telus.net> wrote:

    >Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "metooo" <metooo@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?

    Well I have the vanilla AN8, and I love it. My friend has the Ultra though,
    and he says it's "the mutt's nuts", mate (English for good/great). It's
    expensive though.

    The Nforce4 Ultra chipset is a great chipset, and the SATA II/3GB per sec
    thing should come in handy during its prospective life. Also, the NCQ
    (Native Command Queuing) really is a great feature, and it really does get
    you a boost in operational speed from your SATA drives - though NCQ is a
    feature of all NForce4 Ultra (and I suspect plain Nforce4) boards. I have
    looked over the AN8 Ultra board in a shop, it's very well made - top quality
    Japanese capacitors throughout (although the very same as my vanilla AN8 in
    this respect). The Northbridge fan (on all AN8's) feature is a pain in the
    arse though. A 'passive' cooler would have worked just as well, and had a
    greater life expectancy. I have heard that they can get noisy after a while,
    or just stop working well before the board's time is up. There are boards,
    just as good as the AN8's, that have passive cooling on the Northbridge.
    DFI/Lan Party socket 939 boards will easily compete or even better the AN8
    Ultra - but yes, it's a top board.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "metooo" <metooo@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?

    AN8U arrived today :-) yip yip happy, 3200+ -> 4XXX+ Air cool.

    £72.33 AN8Ultra
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91859

    £72.33 AN8 (V1.0) - Feb. BIOS :-( no venice
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8347641132&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85804

    £63.13 AN8-V
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8347539311&action=c2VsZWN0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=&product_uid=91858

    T.
    whippet,
    the happy doggy
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Agent Smith" <smith@whippet.plus.com> wrote in message

    > "metooo" <metooo@telus.net> wrote in message
    >> Is the new AN8 ultra anygood?
    >
    > AN8U arrived today :-) yip yip happy, 3200+ -> 4XXX+ Air cool.
    >
    > £72.33 AN8Ultra
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91859
    >
    > £72.33 AN8 (V1.0) - Feb. BIOS :-( no venice
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8347641132&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85804

    So the vanilla AN8 won't take the new Venice core Athlons then? :\

Motherboards